BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
JReed
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 35i M Sport

Center Channel Speaker

Lately, I've noticed a buzzing coming from the center channel speaker when the sound system is on. The weird thing is that it only happens during dialogue, never during music. I guess dialogue occurs at the perfect frequency to cause the buzzing. Pretty sure it's not the grate over the speaker because when I hold my hand over it, the buzzing doesn't stop. Has anyone else noticed this? By the way, I don't have the premium sound system... thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Is it a buzz from a speaker(electronic) or a mechanical buzz such as plastic or metal rubbing together? Does it happen on all sources such as CD, FM etc.? Female or male voices. The surrounding material may have a resonance frequency that is excited by a certain frequency coming the speaker. Try to narrow it down to electronic or mechanical. If mechanical try to reproduce it with different sources and material.

Just remembered that some people had buzzing amp problems. You may want to give it a search. Also it may be buzzing on the music, but is masked by the music itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
JReed
Rep
Drives: Alpine White X3 35i M Sport

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure if it's electronic or mechanical. I've tried to dampen the area around the speaker as well as the grill with my hand, and that hasn't changed the buzzing. So I'm inclined to say that it's electronic. It happens from all sources, Sirius, FM, even my bluetooth phone... You're right about the possibility that the music is just covering up the buzzing, but I've tried listening very carefully to all types of music and haven't been able to detect anything there... I'll search for the buzzing amp problems. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Try increasing the volume with no source material. If it buzzes, probably an amp problem, if a continual hum, could be a bad ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

It looks like a loose washer inside. Also check your cup holders etc for any loose small item.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure if it's electronic or mechanical. I've tried to dampen the area around the speaker as well as the grill with my hand, and that hasn't changed the buzzing. So I'm inclined to say that it's electronic. It happens from all sources, Sirius, FM, even my bluetooth phone... You're right about the possibility that the music is just covering up the buzzing, but I've tried listening very carefully to all types of music and haven't been able to detect anything there... I'll search for the buzzing amp problems. Thanks for the tip.

Hi, did the buzzing sound from the centre channel speaker resolved?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Try increasing the volume with no source material. If it buzzes, probably an amp problem, if a continual hum, could be a bad ground.
How do you do that in this car?