BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #1
Wayfastwhitey
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Ignition switch and rke

Does anyone know if I buy a new push button ignition, with keys from a junk yard, do I need to do anything special to install the switch part? I assumed the keys would “talk”to another module, not the button. I understand the keys would need to be learned to the car, and the metal piece would be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfastwhitey View Post
Does anyone know if I buy a new push button ignition, with keys from a junk yard, do I need to do anything special to install the switch part? I assumed the keys would “talk”to another module, not the button. I understand the keys would need to be learned to the car, and the metal piece would be wrong.
The push button ignition is just a switch…pop off the trim , unscrew the switch, unplug it, and plug in new one. As for actual keys, they need to be coded to the car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Might be easier if you could go back to the beginning and simply explain what the problem is. You've laid out a plan that has some major "kinks"...and since we have no clue why you want to do this...we are at a loss at giving you some possible other solutions/suggestions.

The remote key doesn't "talk" to the START button...it communicates over radio frequencies to multiple aerials around the cabin and they communicate with various modules in the car.

A remote fob from another BMW will NOT communicate with any module in your car. Each BMW has a unique encryption (ISN {individual serial number}) that is written to the DME & BDC or CAS modules that can't be overwritten or replaced.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 06:22 PM   #4
Wayfastwhitey
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Apologies, the button in the car is showing wear, such as chipping off the paint, so wanted to replace it to look new again. A new unit from rock auto is ~100, whereas I see junk yards with like new buttons and include a key for less. Ideally I will just have the extra key reprogrammed and use it for part of the remote start function, but wanted to verify it would work first
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 03:30 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Again, the remote key from another vehicle can't be programmed to your car.

If your START button is worn...its a simple replacement. There's no need to replace the entire switch assembly...you can just replace the worn button. There should be videos on youtube that shows how to do it, too. And you can also buy them (in different colors if you like) from amazon.com or ebay etc.

Examples below:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1