BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #23
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
If it says "message successfully sent to car" it is going to someone's car
In the USA you can enter any email address, even one that does not exist, and it will report "message successfully sent to car". It is not validating if the email address is associated with a BMW vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #24
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I had the exact same issue. I called the 800# and they said they'd reset it. 24 hours later is still did not work. I called again and they transferred me to a manager who admitted this was an issue and they were working on it and to give them a few days. They called back 3 days later and said it should work. It now works!

The only things that matter: Email address must be registered. Caps or No Caps does not matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #25
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
So, here's an update (using the term loosely):

Just called BMW Assist again today because the MyInfo function is still not working in my X3 or in my X5. The person was apologetic, but said that it is not just me and they are having problems with a number of folks. They are blaming some "new system" for the trouble and have no idea when it will be working. They did say that they would try to notify people when they think it is resolved.

I was nice to her, because there is no reason to kill the messenger, but it annoys me that this function is not working. I think I may find some contact info for BMW Assist and express my displeasure. They should extend my service for a considerable time at no charge, or provide some tangible compensation.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #26
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I pressed the SOS button near the sunroof and set up my email address that my SA did not (although he said he did).

When i sent some addresses via google maps to my car they were there after that process.

One thing I did is - after it was all set up - I assigned one of the pre-set buttons (you know the 1-8) to MESSAGES so that when i get in the car i can call up the address right away.

That being said, the nav system in general takes me on some long and crazy routes when I know for a fact there are quicker and shorter ways to get there...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
So, here's an update (using the term loosely):

Just called BMW Assist again today because the MyInfo function is still not working in my X3 or in my X5. The person was apologetic, but said that it is not just me and they are having problems with a number of folks. They are blaming some "new system" for the trouble and have no idea when it will be working. They did say that they would try to notify people when they think it is resolved.

I was nice to her, because there is no reason to kill the messenger, but it annoys me that this function is not working. I think I may find some contact info for BMW Assist and express my displeasure. They should extend my service for a considerable time at no charge, or provide some tangible compensation.
I picked up my car Friday and tried sending directions from google maps yesterday. It didn’t work.
I called customer service today and they had my email wrong.
They corrected it and now it is working great.
So at least here, the system is up and running.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
That being said, the nav system in general takes me on some long and crazy routes when I know for a fact there are quicker and shorter ways to get there...
If you haven't already tried this, make sure you have set your route criteria to quickest rather than shortest or most efficient. I experienced similar craziness and it was down to this

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Am I imagining things or did I used to be able send routes as well as destinations from Google to the car? Destinations works OK but I thought when I first tested this I could send routes as well.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #30
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Am I imagining things or did I used to be able send routes as well as destinations from Google to the car? Destinations works OK but I thought when I first tested this I could send routes as well.
I think you are imagining it, I don't think there would be a consistent way that both Google Maps and BMW Navigation defines a route. The 'send to car' is just sending the address, not the lat/long, so the car nav system is still responsible for working out the location based on the address. Doing this for a series of 'turns' could quickly get complex and error prone. These are just my thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thought about this myself, and came to the conclusion that the simple answer is "how would it know where the starting point is?". In theory you (or someone else) could send the destination to the car from anywhere while the car is anywhere... in order to define a route, you need a fixed start point.

Would be nice though, to use the Google Map feature of customizing the route, then send that fixed route.... but alas.

For now, I'd be thrilled just to have it send SOMETHING. They have confirmed my email address more than once, so I don't think that's the problem.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #32
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
If you haven't already tried this, make sure you have set your route criteria to quickest rather than shortest or most efficient. I experienced similar craziness and it was down to this[/QUOTE]

Good point and I will check that tonight.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #33
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Is there an iphone app that enables you to send google maps addresses to your car?

Sending them from a computer is easy enough, but in the mobile version of the iphone there seems to be no function to actually send the info to the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is there an iphone app that enables you to send google maps addresses to your car?

Sending them from a computer is easy enough, but in the mobile version of the iphone there seems to be no function to actually send the info to the car.
Yes, you can use the BMW Remote app to send a destination to the car

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...BMW+Remote+app

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I dont think that is available in the USA... i checked the app store but nothing like that available...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I dont think that is available in the USA... i checked the app store but nothing like that available...
It's not but people in the US have got it by downloading it from the UK iTunes store, and it does work, flashing lights and all

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #37
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

When you pull up your google map, hit the send button on the right side on your computer. That is where you can hit "car", then the make of the car and then it has you put in the email address that you used to set up your BMW assist. You then pull it up under messages.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #38
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla17 View Post
When you pull up your google map, hit the send button on the right side on your computer. That is where you can hit "car", then the make of the car and then it has you put in the email address that you used to set up your BMW assist. You then pull it up under messages.
Yes, I know the procedure. The problem is that it is not received in the vehicles. It is a BMW Assist problem, for which no answer is forthcoming.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #39
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know the procedure.

Do you have something like the portal below in the US where you can log into BMW Assist using your email address and see your X3 listed?

This is all linked to the send to maps business in the UK so if you can't log in here, they haven't set up your account correctly.

I would reapply/register with the same email address
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #40
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We don't have a portal like that in the US. When we purchase a BMW in the USA the dealer completes some paper work to register us for BMW Assist. We then call BMW Assist using the SOS button in the car and complete the registration process by talking to a real person. On the form the dealer is suppose to complete, and during the call, we provide an email address and a password/code, but there is no site to then login like you have in the UK. The password/code we provide is used to verify us should we call BMW Assist and request the doors are unlocked or need a tow etc. Also it turns out if you do manage to download the BMW connect app from iTunes in the UK and email and password/code is used to login to that application.

When we use the 'send to car' feature, the email address we provide in Google Maps needs to match the one we provided to BMW Assist. Appears in LEDZEP case, they have the correct email associated with the vehicle but the messages still does not get there.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I know the procedure. The problem is that it is not received in the vehicles. It is a BMW Assist problem, for which no answer is forthcoming.
I suspect you have ruled this out, but have you tried to 'send to car' to a different BMW to rule out its not a really bizarre local computer issue? Happy to provide my email if you wanted to test it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #42
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
We don't have a portal like that in the US. When we purchase a BMW in the USA the dealer completes some paper work to register us for BMW Assist. We then call BMW Assist using the SOS button in the car and complete the registration process by talking to a real person. On the form the dealer is suppose to complete, and during the call, we provide an email address and a password/code, but there is no site to then login like you have in the UK. The password/code we provide is used to verify us should we call BMW Assist and request the doors are unlocked or need a tow etc. Also it turns out if you do manage to download the BMW connect app from iTunes in the UK and email and password/code is used to login to that application.

When we use the 'send to car' feature, the email address we provide in Google Maps needs to match the one we provided to BMW Assist. Appears in LEDZEP case, they have the correct email associated with the vehicle but the messages still does not get there.
Ah I see. Well LZ's used to me giving him useless UK only advice on this issue so at least I'm consistent!

Strange that you don't have Assist online and yet you do have online order tracking, whereas the rest of the world has to call their dealer who in turns looks up the car on a DOS system!

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #43
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Strange that you don't have Assist online and yet you do have online order tracking, whereas the rest of the world has to call their dealer who in turns looks up the car on a DOS system!
I know, totally crazy. I suspect BMW have made it harder for themselves by having different systems across the countries at the same time delivering frustration to their customers. I'm happy that they create awesome cars and can live with the fact they suck at IT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #44
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
I suspect you have ruled this out, but have you tried to 'send to car' to a different BMW to rule out its not a really bizarre local computer issue? Happy to provide my email if you wanted to test it.
No, actually I haven't. Though I have tried from multiple computers. I might take you up on that offer to test... I'll send you to a strip club or something...

Quote:
Ah I see. Well LZ's used to me giving him useless UK only advice on this issue so at least I'm consistent!
If it's entertaining, it's never useless!

Appreciate 0