BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Is it a keeper?

I have a 2012 X3 fully optioned with only 19000 miles.
While all the new 2015 vehicles look and drive really well, at what point does it make sense to make a change.
Many BMW owners keep vehicles for up to 10 years.
I really like my X3 but there has got to be a time when owning the same vehicle long term is simply not viable.

I would appreciate your experience or comments.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I change when I feel it's time and ie something I have come across excites me more than my current car. It ends up always for the better both power and car option wise and in my case in 2-5 years depending what's in the market.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i traded in my 2012 x3 28i for 2015 x3 28i with msport package..and i love it more...
i added black gloss roof rails and the gloss black kidney grilles...i do miss the white color..it was in excellent conditions in and out.

Last edited by nyalpine90; 11-04-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i traded in my 2012 x3 28i for 2015 x3 28i with msport package..and i love it more...
i added black gloss roof rails and the gloss black kidney grilles...i do miss the white color..it was in excellent conditions in and out.

I never understand the concept of upgrading to the LCI for it's still the same car with some minor upgrades. Maybe you can share...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
2012 x3- 6cyclinder, no rear view camera, leatherette, black trim around the whole car got boring to me, interior slight changes.

i did the trade in because money wise it was right move, i didnt come out of pocket and nice profit for down payment. i order what i wanted on 2015

plenty of upgrades even when you compare it to 2014, headlights are different among other things
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
2012 x3- 6cyclinder, no rear view camera, leatherette, black trim around the whole car got boring to me, interior slight changes.

i did the trade in because money wise it was right move, i didnt come out of pocket and nice profit for down payment. i order what i wanted on 2015

plenty of upgrades even when you compare it to 2014, headlights are different among other things
If not out of pocket makes sense, the X3 LCI is nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
after the 3rd year u can look into trading in or selling..all depends how well you take care of the car. Also what you owe to the bank plus what the market value is.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Everybody's personal situation is going to be different As well as their priorities with car ownership.

I'm personally not interested in worrying about repair costs, the fact that BMW covers most all maintenance costs is a bonus.

I would prefer to have new cars to know that they will be reliable so when I'm traveling for work my wife won't have to worry about an old car falling apart on her.

I also don't want the risk of getting in a large accident and having a car that I can't get out of because the value no longer aligned with what I owe on the car.

What the OP has to weigh out is are you willing to take on the potential burden of high maintenance costs. Can you afford to replace a turbocharger or a set of shocks/struts. Can you rent a car while yours is in the shop getting a major repair made. If your disciplined enough to set aside the money you're not paying on payments to make repairs and the car still meets your needs then go for it.

I would guess most BMW owners have never priced major components on the car to understand the cost of repairs.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

Quote:

\.

I do like the m-sport package, looks sexy!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
happy_chrissy
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 2015' X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
Everybody's personal situation is going to be different As well as their priorities with car ownership.

I'm personally not interested in worrying about repair costs, the fact that BMW covers most all maintenance costs is a bonus.

I would prefer to have new cars to know that they will be reliable so when I'm traveling for work my wife won't have to worry about an old car falling apart on her.

I also don't want the risk of getting in a large accident and having a car that I can't get out of because the value no longer aligned with what I owe on the car.

What the OP has to weigh out is are you willing to take on the potential burden of high maintenance costs. Can you afford to replace a turbocharger or a set of shocks/struts. Can you rent a car while yours is in the shop getting a major repair made. If your disciplined enough to set aside the money you're not paying on payments to make repairs and the car still meets your needs then go for it.

I would guess most BMW owners have never priced major components on the car to understand the cost of repairs.
If you are driving any luxury car, there will be maintenance costs. It is not just BMW, but Mercedes, Acura, Land Rover, Audi, etc, they all have "high" maintenance costs. However, just don't go to the dealership if it is out of warranty. I have friends who have older BMW's and they go to a repair shop and it is little more than a Honda Accord but it is reasonable, not scary.

I personally saved and paid for the car however, I know people don't have that luxury. The sales manager had told me that he sees many people leasing because most people would not be able to afford the car outright. To a degree, I believe that is true…however, everybody has their own reasons ya know?

Renting a car while your car is in the shop, if you have rental insurance on your policy, you can rent a car while in the shop. I have!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_chrissy View Post
If you are driving any luxury car, there will be maintenance costs. It is not just BMW, but Mercedes, Acura, Land Rover, Audi, etc, they all have "high" maintenance costs. However, just don't go to the dealership if it is out of warranty. I have friends who have older BMW's and they go to a repair shop and it is little more than a Honda Accord but it is reasonable, not scary.

I personally saved and paid for the car however, I know people don't have that luxury. The sales manager had told me that he sees many people leasing because most people would not be able to afford the car outright. To a degree, I believe that is true…however, everybody has their own reasons ya know?

Renting a car while your car is in the shop, if you have rental insurance on your policy, you can rent a car while in the shop. I have!
Older BMW's are not much more than Honda Accord - the problem is if you believe in using OEM parts for repairs on the cars. Regardless if the car is now worth $10,000 dollars the parts are still for a $40,000 car making repairs almost pointless unless the car has some sentimental value. I got to a point owning an older Infiniti where the price of the struts was more than the car itself was worth.

I've got a friend who buy and owns his cars then drives the wheels off them. Good for him I'm not interested. I enjoy having a new car every few years. I've got another friend who has owned the same M6 every three years about five times over now. Though I guess the latest one is a much different M6. All what works for you.

My wife's 2013 X3 is coming due early next year and I would be happy to own a new version of that car as I really enjoy her car and it has been a very good car. Though I would like to get some options this time around that we didn't the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Interesting question.
To me its consumerism kept in check by depreciation i.e. heart vs head & best value.
If the depreciation wasn't so high in the first few years, then I'd be more inclined to upgrade to the latest model.
My 2 year old X3 is still as almost new inside and out with 30,000 miles on the clock. Because I know the service history, the car is probably worth more to me then it would be to someone buying it second hand. My local dealer came up with an LCI offer which wasn't good (low trade in & discount).

If you've got deep pockets, then you can keep upgrading. But for me upgrading at the moment would be very poor value i.e. not much extra for £1000's of spend. At some point it will be worth changing i.e. if the car become unreliable, or there's a new must have feature. I'm going to wait for the next model X3- 2016?

Do the sums and that might temper your heart
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Amber

Thank you all for the feed back, I think I will keep it, at least for another year.
It really is a great vehicle and to date I have not had one warranty issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

We intend to keep both. No significant issues or maintenance requirements to date (and hopefully it stays that way!)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Has any of you receive letters from the dealership for buy back option. I usually get them after 2nd year.

Last edited by nyalpine90; 11-05-2014 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0