BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #1
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

BMW UK website rant

Thank you for your reply [their reply from my original website complaint at the bottom]

It is NOT a temporary glitch, it is an ongoing disfunctional website.
Ever since the X3 xdrive30d and M-Sport variaties 1st appeared on bmw.co.uk, there have been broken links, sections appearing and disappearing again, inaccurate details, missing options, some of which I detailed before.
Some of these have been corrected, piecemeal over time, some remain.

I'm struggling to reason why a prestigious company like BMW renowned for quality would suffer such a poor appearance online, as I said before I find it very strange that someone doesn't verify it thoroughly before publishing and making public.

As it stands:

- the technical Prices & Specifications section lists all variants (xdrive20d, xdrive30d, xdrive20d M Sport, xdrive30d M Sport), the technical specification tab details (which used to say "Four-cylinder .." for the 3-litre variants) have been corrected (after being inaccurate for days) - hopefully the rest are correct + the std. equipment list.

If you choose 'Build your X3' from the Prices & Specifications page, for any variant *except* the xdrive20d - you are presented with:

This has been the case for the last week...
If you go directly to the configurator from the 'New X3' homepage, you are now only presented with the xdrive20d.

Honestly, if I thought BMW's cars were built with the same rigour and quality control as the website, I'd never buy one..

---

Quote:
Dear Sir,

We welcome customer feedback and I have passed your comments about the website to our Development Team.

The options and packages are displayed on the configurator section of the website and the prices are available on the range overview. I am sorry if these sections were not available when you were viewing the website, however, it has been undergoing major redevelopment and as a result some of the usual functions have been affected.

As you are searching for a specific vehicle, we may be able to assist you with your enquiry by arranging for one of our approved dealerships to contact you to discuss your requirements. Alternatively, we are able to send you a brochure, if you currently do not have one. Please advise us if you do require further assistance and we will be pleased to help.

Once again, I am sorry that you have needed to contact us under these circumstances and I can assure you of our attention if required.

Yours sincerely
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

A stain on the BMW brand as I have already said. Embarrassingly bad. They have clearly never heard of quality assurance or system testing. They should take the site down until it is fixed, not leave it up there with incorrect information and a configurator not fit for purpose.

I didn't even get a reply from the muppets last time I brought the problems to their attention. Email Marian Luff who is the Internet Marketing Manager at BMW UK. Here is my last email (sent 20 Jan, no response or even an acknowledgement this time).

Quote:
Subject: Re: BMW UK website
To: Marian.Luff@bmw.co.uk

Dear Marian,

Thank you for your email and it is good to know that things are being done. I would like to draw your attention to a few current issues with the content though on the new X3 3.0l and M-Sport models. E.g. xDrive30d M Sport:

1. No packages
2. Pro media is apparently free but the lesser business media costs £1775.
3. No xenons!

The tech spec also says the xDrive30d has only 4 cylinders which isn't true, it has 6.

Doesn't anyone do any QA before this content goes live?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

At least you can get a brochure. Ah, well no, you can't actually. I need the above information to be accurate to make comparisons, not least as dealers locally know less than we do. Maybe we should set up our own site and charge BMW commission? Their site is embarrassing. If anyone sees the UK configurator fixed please say so via a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Tsambi
Private
Rep

Maybe you English managed to win the ashes but that took some time, so it may take some time before your configurator works. Head over to the Australian web page which seems to be working ok- however no package offers like the uk. No m on there yet but you can download an English version of the full 46 page brochure.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsambi View Post
Maybe you English managed to win the ashes but that took some time, so it may take some time before your configurator works. Head over to the Australian web page which seems to be working ok- however no package offers like the uk. No m on there yet but you can download an English version of the full 46 page brochure.
Is that you Punter? Got a lot of spare time on your hands these days I guess

Aussie configurator doesn't work either from the UK but that is likely to be down to the round trip distance. Also, it's specifically the M config and UK options that people will want.

Could you post a link for the online brochure PDF please? All I can see is a request link.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

+1 for PDF link. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I used the configurator to build a 30D and 30D Msport last Friday. I was also surprised to see Prof Satnav as standard but Xenons not.

The Msport was also about 1k cheaper than the SE after getting the SE up to similar spec, ie adding shadow line ext trim and anthracite headlining.

It's a shame that the lovely optional 19" rims (309) are not available for the Msport and they can only be added to the SE as part of the Dynamic package which includes (sport seats / s/wheel / suspension and performance control). I'm not sure if this is the case if one went to the dealer or the configurator is correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Ant Man;8772282]I was also surprised to see Prof Satnav as standard but Xenons not.[/QUOTE>

You wish - the configurator was half cocked.. Prof Satnav was 'free' option, whereas inferior Business nav. was £1775 option, as I and others have pointed out.
You could also apparently have VDC for free on M Sport - nice (if only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
It's a shame that the lovely optional 19" rims (309) are not available for the Msport and they can only be added to the SE as part of the Dynamic package which includes (sport seats / s/wheel / suspension and performance control). I'm not sure if this is the case if one went to the dealer or the configurator is correct.

I wouldn't trust the configurator that's been up so far, I don't remember what wheel options there were, but my dealer has told me about some 19" wheels available as an option specifically for the M Sport.

We'll have to wait until dealers have full details and/or the configurator gets sorted on bwm.co.uk.
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Amazed the UK config was live Fri. 19" style 369M wheels & carbon black metallic paint appear to be the only special M UK options. Understand neither Nav nor xenons are std on UK M.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

I hesitate to speak too soon, but for the time being the UK site has restored the 30d and M Sport varieties in the configurator.

What's more, they both have packages and all options afaict - so looking good.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I can't even load up the configurator for any car at the moment. Just get a blank screen or the site hangs. All other websites are lightning quick. I can configure a VW Touareg in seconds for example....

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Still FUBAR ... apparently you MUST have a beige interior and seats with the cold weather pack? Surely not!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Still FUBAR ... apparently you MUST have a beige interior and seats with the cold weather pack? Surely not!
Perhaps bmw.co.uk has a problem with gremlins. Where's Gizmo when you need him?

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just configured an xDrive20d M Sport and it all seems to be working - shock horror! My spec in the M Sport would cost £45k so I'm happy with my decision not to wait another 6 months.

I think there is a slight issue with the combination of 6NR and prof multimedia package. You shouldn't need to add USB audio again as it's part of prof multimedia. But apart from that....

Last edited by sfax; 01-28-2011 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #15
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

I looked at the 3.0l M sport which seems to be working. However, it states run flats are standard with no option which would be a pain, literally! Is this true?
Appreciate 0