BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Question Is there a sling for a mini spare?

I'm thinking I would prefer real tires instead of Run Flats. Is there at least a sling for a mini spare or must it go inside?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

No sling. Inside or on the roof are your only options.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Given some of the horror stories about having to wait a couple days for a tire, I think I'll buy one, wrap it in plastic and throw it in the boot on long trips. At least any place I can drive to need only be able to mount an RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
I keep a couple plugs and small compressor in mine under the rear deck
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep

I gave your idea some thought for a 2500 mile roadtrip that I did through the Canadian maritime provinces this summer. I eventually decided that the risk was low, and that I would rather have the luggage and cooler space than a spare tire.

Crossing New Brunswick, with the only BMW dealer in the province about 80 miles behind me, and the only BMW dealer in Nova Scotia about 80 miles ahead of me, I ran over some unavoidable metal road debris. I had a nervous few hours, waiting to see if the TPMS would trip, but the tire wasn't damaged, and I'm still driving on it.

For me, Plan A was to trust the tires. If I didn't trust them then why hadn't I already replaced them?

Plan B was to use the Google to find the closest Canadian Tire dealer, and just buy a pair of whatever they had. Plan B wasn't needed.

In a real emergency, Plan C is a plug kit, which I know how to use, and a small compressor. Some prefer a can of Slime, but I expect that you might need to replace the TPMS on that wheel afterwards.

Last edited by 02420X3; 12-05-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

I think having an unmounted spare is a reasonable measure and wish that the car design accommodated a tire mounted underneath. This is a luxury car and it's reasonable we pay for the expensive tire but not the expensive 2-day stay in a hotel waiting for a tire delivery. As for the kit, I want to drive the car not be it's mechanic. That was for when I was in High School. Again, if there were a sling or something, I could bring the bad tire home and fix it in the "comfort" of my garage instead of the side of the road.

Come to think of it, an unmounted repaired RFT might serve nicely (and be more green) for this "travel spare" approach.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

This isn't about a BMW decision to reduce cost in a luxury car because any cost saving in omitting a spare of any type along with the jack and wrench is more than compensated by the extra cost of RFT and sensors. Every design engineering compromise in new cars must deal with the problem of meeting the relentless pressure of emissions and mpg requirements imposed by governments. Among the performance and brand preserving design engineering compromises that buyers don't like is weight reduction through spare wheel omission. While others have asserted that the weight saved by omitting a spare has been restored in the extra weight of four RFTs over non-RFTs, careful calculation does show a net reduction. However much we buyers may dislike RFT, ASS, and other emissions and mpg compromise technologies, we have to learn to live with them as the inevitable consequences of performance car manufacturers' need to meet the governmental requirements.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
This isn't about a BMW decision to reduce cost in a luxury car ...
I didn't say it was. I'm suggesting a design change that accommodates those that want and need to ensure safe travel. Having a sling that protects an unmounted spare solves the problem in the context of BMWs RFT philosophy. I'll gladly pay for the spare RFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

If I had the option of a space saver spare then I would have ticked the option. I'm sure it could fit in the under floor space. I don't use this space because I have a trunk liner, so it's dead space for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
stactum
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M-Sport

I have slime kit with compressor and all other stuff in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Why Bother with a spare

Good real tires, is all I need, cant remember the last time I had a flat tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I think having an unmounted spare is a reasonable measure and wish that the car design accommodated a tire mounted underneath. This is a luxury car and it's reasonable we pay for the expensive tire but not the expensive 2-day stay in a hotel waiting for a tire delivery. As for the kit, I want to drive the car not be it's mechanic. That was for when I was in High School. Again, if there were a sling or something, I could bring the bad tire home and fix it in the "comfort" of my garage instead of the side of the road.

Come to think of it, an unmounted repaired RFT might serve nicely (and be more green) for this "travel spare" approach.

Mechanic or not, if you're planning on carrying a spare tire/wheel then you should also consider carrying one or more jack-point inserts and perhaps wheel hangers. Jack-point inserts and wheel hangers are available from Reverse Logic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Good real tires, is all I need, cant remember the last time I had a flat tire.
+1

And I don't understand why you want a space saver spare (mini spare), you can do exactly the same thing with a run flat tire. Roll on it to reach the next gas station.

RFT tire is designed to not need spare tire and give us the trouble to change it if there is a puncture.

That's two big trip (over 2000 miles each) I do, where the nearest BMW dealer is over 500 miles and no problem. No punctures either.

I see that there are people who are very insecure
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

To me, the RFT solution is an outstanding one for those of us in proximity of significant populations. If you're really out there in some parts of Australia, Africa, Central Asia, or the like, it seems to me the ability to carry a real spare (even an RFT spare) may become very significant and a different vehicle might be a better choice.
      12-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Run-flats also don't help if you blow out a sidewall, something which has happened to me. Given the state of the roads in NJ, where I live, that's becoming a more common occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

The concept of the RFT is excellent, If you are unfortunate enough to suffer a puncture you just drive on until you get to a repair garage. The memories of having to stop wherever you get a puncture and having to change a wheel is not something I cherish. My wife would'nt know where to start changing a puctured wheel with the spare. Then there are the safety implications of anyone changing a wheel at the side of the road, it's just not safe.

The somewhat harsher ride and the slightly more expensive cost of these tyres is for me at least a small price to pay for an otherwise positive innovation.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
The real issue isn't run-flats vs standard tires but spare tire, or no spare tire. Or at least space for one.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
voerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck_Qc View Post
+1

And I don't understand why you want a space saver spare (mini spare), you can do exactly the same thing with a run flat tire. Roll on it to reach the next gas station.

RFT tire is designed to not need spare tire and give us the trouble to change it if there is a puncture.

That's two big trip (over 2000 miles each) I do, where the nearest BMW dealer is over 500 miles and no problem. No punctures either.

I see that there are people who are very insecure
Here is the problem with run flats, you run over a piece of metal and the tire immediately loses all air pressure, the TPMS tells you this and you drive to the nearest tire shop. But you can only drive 50 miles on a deflated run flat and you need to replace it after doing so. The tire shop tells you it needs to order a new tire and it will take three days (could be much longer).

If you are close to home and have another car to drive, not so bad. If you are on a trip far from home, you will need to spend three days in a local motel or rent a car.

If the above scenario occurs and you have a space saver spare, you can change the tire and drive up to 500 miles on it. This is much less of a hassle.

Lou
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

I dont understand, why would you require a spare tyre when you have a run flat? The only answer I can think of is if you wreck the sidewall and I would hope this would not be particularly easy to do. If this happens to me I will simply call for breakdown assistance, as would be the case if my wife suffered a puncture if I carried a spare.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2 View Post
I dont understand, why would you require a spare tyre when you have a run flat? ....
Voerman and mspringer gave great answers to this. RFTs don't roll forever. The issue is not changing a flat by the road or not. The issue is what happens after you drive to a tire shop and because RFTs are expensive and not readily in-stock, what do you do? If you have a spare RFT, you pay the shop to mount it and you continue. If you have a mini spare, ditto. If you have neither, you wait hours/days for one to be shipped. Having a place for an unmounted 5th RFT would be a nice accessory and design hit need only be what it takes to accommodate the accessory for those who need/want it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

And do you hang as spare parts for the engine, it can also break and dealers may be far away. And if you have an accident, you also have spare parts? It may also happen.

Seriously, it's been almost 30 years since I've done a puncture. Yes it can happen just like a broken engine or an accident.

Statistically, there are more accidents than punctures or blow out a sidewall (unless your tires are finished, which can also cause an accident).

If you're scared, you stay home.

And be careful with the small spare tires, they are less high than the regular tires and you may burn a differential.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Some might have done better to buy a Toyota Rav4, they have impeccable reliability, these dealers everywhere and full-size spare tire
Appreciate 0