BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
New autocar group test

Hi all

A new group test between the discovery sport, X3, xc60 and Hyundai Santa fe is out in this weeks autocar.co.uk

Interesting read

Unfortunately I can't find it online at the moment only in the print magazine which I had delivered today

So in short

1st disco sport ... They said hard ride .. Thirsty but you will get out of it and look back longingly

2nd x3 ... Impressive piece of machinery frugal, great engine and gearbox (20d) comfortable and relaxed drive ... But isn't as exciting,interesting or as desirable as the disco .. So hence second place ! Pah

3rd Volvo .. Not without its charms but behind the best

4th Santa fe .. Lacking desirability and luxury but still commendable

But although they put the disco on top .. They said don't buy one because the new generation engines are coming

So very subjective review

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack

Last edited by Andy_o; 03-11-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

"Don't buy one because better engines are coming"
"Hard Ride"

but first place because you'll enjoy looking at it?!?

That's ridiculous!

On another note, I drove a Santa Fe and it's nice (well equipped, almost-luxury feel) but it drives like a minivan through the corners and is a lot more thirsty (at least the 2.0T) than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post
"Don't buy one because better engines are coming"
"Hard Ride"

but first place because you'll enjoy looking at it?!?

That's ridiculous!

On another note, I drove a Santa Fe and it's nice (well equipped, almost-luxury feel) but it drives like a minivan through the corners and is a lot more thirsty (at least the 2.0T) than the X3.
The review starts " I'm confronted by an interior that looks and feels five years old. This predated feel is reinforced with every turn of the four cylinder diesels crankshaft too, it's coarse nature betraying the fact that it actually five years old"

He continues" the nine speed automatic gearbox coud be better as well from a standing start it'll hesitate to transmit drive making it difficult to execute a prompt getaway. Additional throttle application results in nothing more than an even more vigorous take off when it actually responds "

He then says the cabin is acceptable but with some easily marked plastics ... Foibles including a panoramic roof that doesn't extend far enough forward to benefit front seat occupants

But you will look back at it longingly .. ( while waiting for the breakdown truck)

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Hi all

A new group test between the discovery sport, X3, xc60 and Hyundai Santa fe is out in this weeks autocar.co.uk

Interesting read

Unfortunately I can't find it online at the moment only in the print magazine which I had delivered today

So in short

1st disco sport ... They said hard ride .. Thirsty but you will get out of it and look back longingly

2nd x3 ... Impressive piece of machinery frugal, great engine and gearbox (20d) comfortable and relaxed drive ... But isn't as exciting,interesting or as desirable as the disco .. So hence second place ! Pah

3rd Volvo .. Not without its charms but behind the best

4th Santa fe .. Lacking desirability and luxury but still commendable

But although they put the disco on top .. They said don't buy one because the new generation engines are coming

So very subjective review
Yeap. I lived in UK a couple of years. On all reviews a British made in number one, but if you dig deep there are NOT British owned companies, just British made, which is just a pity for a nation who invented the car. Of course the Land Rover is a marvelous piece of technique, but if you look at maintenance cost and history you must lease one, not own one.
Actually they are right, the automatic X3 in not exciting unless you hit hard acceleration. But try a manual and you could change this. I had the same feeling when I drove one, after my 320 Ci manual, but we get older...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

In the same vein from an Australian review in January of luxury mid-sized 2.0l diesel SUVs with the notable absence of the LR Sports (won't be released in Australia until mid-year).

http://www.caradvice.com.au/328321/l...-v-volvo-xc60/

In the end the X3 is a comfortable winner.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Interesting review. Personally I like both Q5 and X3. The Volvo is still OK (dash not so great), but this Lexus ?? Is this for real ? Have you ever seen such a hideous car ?
Were the designers drunk, after seeing a Batman movie ?

Last edited by Portimao318; 03-12-2015 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
In the same vein from an Australian review in January of luxury mid-sized 2.0l diesel SUVs with the notable absence of the LR Sports (won't be released in Australia until mid-year).

http://www.caradvice.com.au/328321/l...-v-volvo-xc60/

In the end the X3 is a comfortable winner.

Tony
That's a very good review plenty of info and fairly spot on

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:47 AM   #8
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Interesting review. Personally I like both Q5 and X3. The Volvo is still OK (dash not so great), but this Lexus ?? Is this for real ? Have you ever seen such a hideous car ?

I think Will I Am was behind the design of the Lexus. I actually think it looks alright and better in the flesh. I quite like it when car manufacturers come up with a new radical design and are happy to run the risk. Look at the Nissan Juke, not the most pleasant to look at but it selling extremely well, maybe because it looks different? Some people like something a little more 'out there' and I think Lexus have definitely done that with this car.
Having said that, I don't believe it's received great reviews!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:34 AM   #9
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
I think Will I Am was behind the design of the Lexus. I actually think it looks alright and better in the flesh. I quite like it when car manufacturers come up with a new radical design and are happy to run the risk. Look at the Nissan Juke, not the most pleasant to look at but it selling extremely well, maybe because it looks different? Some people like something a little more 'out there' and I think Lexus have definitely done that with this car.
Having said that, I don't believe it's received great reviews!
Just to make sure : we are talking about this, right ?

ps. I like a Nissan Juke. Maybe not "beautiful", but very cute.

Last edited by Portimao318; 03-12-2015 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #10
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:

I don't agree with you about the look of the car. While I don't love it, I don't hate it, either. I do applaud Lexus for being brave in their new designs, when most of the competition is being very conservative. I think more people agree with you than me, though. I heard one person say it well. To paraphrase, it was something like "People are lining up to buy the new line of Lexuses in spite of it's looks, not because of them"

On the other hand there was one HUGE mistake in the design of the NX that doesn't get nearly enough attention. It's cargo hold is a JOKE. It has about the same exterior dimensions as the X3, and also notably the same exterior dimensions as the RAV4. However, the cargo hold only holds 450L versus almost 800L in the X3 and almost 1100L in the RAV4.

Therefore, it's useless to anyone who actually needs a versatile vehicle, leaving it only useful for people who don't really need an SUV/CUV but want it for either the looks or the perception that somehow SUVs are "cool"

I actually liked the way it drove, and really liked the interior (except the infotainment, which wasn't as good as iDrive). I could have even afforded the F-sport package (while M-Sport was out of my price range on the X3). In the end, though, the joke of a cargo area was a deal-breaker and it didn't even make the short list of cars I showed my wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Just to make sure : we are talking about this, right ?

ps. I like a Nissan Juke. Maybe not "beautiful", but very cute.

As I said, better in the flesh
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Autocar has the habit of contradicting them self, check the same test in few months and you see a different result, with the F10 they started with similar results and down the line joined the ranks of all others reviews as the best in it class, I believe they do this to try to be different plus maybe the fact the Disco is somehow British!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #13
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Auto Express have just put the Disco Sport up against the X3 and a Hyundai. They have always applauded the X3 is past reviews and stated it as the best midrange SUV out there but this time the DS wins. Quite laughable review as they praise the engine (despite this being the same aging engine that was in the Freelander 2 that they constantly slagged off for being rough and noisy in the past!!) and moan about a few things with the X3 that in the past they praised..
      03-13-2015, 06:34 AM   #14
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Totally agree on the Lexus and also Infiniti and Acura. For the most part, plain, boring and ugly cars.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #15
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
Totally agree on the Lexus and also Infiniti and Acura. For the most part, plain, boring and ugly cars.
Japan design house lately tend to put very busy designs out, to many lines going all directions, a complete loss of finesse and style the new Honda Civic type R is also one victim of this trend!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

If you look at the rear view of the Lexus pictures on other forums, it looks as though someone has run into the back of it.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Disco Sport, X3, xc60 and Hyundai Santa fe? Not in the same league if you ask me. Disco sport, Evoque, Lexus NX and RDX are half a class below IMHO... To be fair though, all the turbo 4 do not sound good, it's just some perform better than others.

The x3 should be compared with Q5, GLK, etc... Given how good the new c-class is, the upcoming new GLK may very likely take the crown from X3. One year after the new GLK the new Q5 will arrive too.
Appreciate 0