BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 2.0D Xline

UK 2.0D mpg nowhere near BMW claim

BMW claim an auto XLine 2015 2.0 Diesel X3 should return 53 mpg on the urban EU cycle.

After 6000 miles the best I've seen is low 40's driving mixture of roads and distances but largely in ECOPRO. My X3 carries a little extra weight with a tow bar and sunroof and runs on 19 inch wheels which will affect mpg but 53 feels totally unattainable.

Also I noticed 53 or 5.3 litres/100 km is quoted on BMW's German, French, Swedish and UK web sites even though UK doesn't get Coasting mode which must affect economy.

Feels like I've been misled by BMW in a way not disimilar to VW's emissions claims

Anyone regularly getting 53 mpg in UK?

Last edited by zalagan; 11-29-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

While I certainly understand your frustration with not being able to meet official fuel efficiency numbers, please don't try and link this issue with VW's emissions problems. Real life vs official fuel efficiency and VW's "dieselgate" are two totally separate issues. Fuel efficiency is - ultimately - about CO2 emissions while VW's problems are all about NOx emissions and their "defeat" software. NOx emissions has very little (if anything) to do with fuel efficiency.

For the record with our X3 30d on a good highway run we can get down to 6.2-6.3 l/100km vs the official Australian highway cycle of 5.6 l/100km. Official fuel efficiency tests are idealised laboratory-based test cycles with only a passing connection to real life motoring. They are only there as a comparative test between vehicles. Yes, I would like to see more a realistic official fuel consumption test done but until everyone can agree on what the test will be we are stuck with the current testing procedure as flawed as it is.

The issue of real-life vs and official fuel efficiency and VW's dieselgate are not similar in any way.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalagan
BMW claim an auto XLine 2015 2.0 Diesel X3 should return 53 mpg on the urban EU cycle.

After 6000 miles the best I've seen is low 40's driving mixture of roads and distances but largely in ECOPRO. My X3 carries a little extra weight with a tow bar and sunroof and runs on 19 inch wheels which will affect mpg but 53 feels totally unattainable.

Also I noticed 53 or 5.3 litres/100 km is quoted on BMW's German, French, Swedish and UK web sites even though UK doesn't get Coasting mode which must affect economy.

Feels like I've been misled by BMW in a way not disimilar to VW's emissions claims

Anyone regularly getting 53 mpg in UK?
All cars are the same you will never replicate their claims. What did you drive before ? This is a separate issue to VW emissions
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
It's well documented in the motoring press that none of the manufacturers are reaching the numbers in every day use so I'm surprised at your indignation.

Think yourself lucky that you're getting low 40s - I'm averaging 33mpg.....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
It's well documented in the motoring press that none of the manufacturers are reaching the numbers in every day use so I'm surprised at your indignation.
I'm aware that few owners ever achieve manufacturer mpg claims. My point is that BMW quote the same fuel consumption for the X3 across all European markets - 5.3 litres/ 100 km. BUT in the UK we don't get a key feature - coasting. This is a miss-representation of the theoretical performance of a UK X3.

If I was trying to get the max mpg out of an X3 I'd strip it of all optional weight and fluids, pump the 17-inch tyres as high as possible, find a 6 stone driver and coast around a test track in ECO PRO with coasting turned on at 56 mph. Shame we can't legitimately do that in UK.

Last edited by zalagan; 11-30-2015 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
All cars are the same you will never replicate their claims. What did you drive before ? This is a separate issue to VW emissions
I have two other cars - a Porsche Boxster that returns within 1 or 2 mpg of what Porsche claim with 98 unleaded and a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta that also gets close to Ford figures on long runs.

My X3 is nowhere near BMWs exaggerated claims for the B47 auto and has just had an interim oil change and clean bill of health at 6000 miles.

Last edited by zalagan; 11-30-2015 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #7
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

My experience with coasting/sailing is that you save a little - but at least in my surroundings, not that much. I doubt that Berkshire is much different.

Coasting is, probably, hidden somewhere in the digital djungle in your vehicle - I would not be surprised if any of the wizards on these threads could help you out.

Oh, have you tried Sport and Manual - thats where the fun is - helps to overcome the agony of fuel bills
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalagan View Post
I have two other cars - a Porsche Boxster that returns within 1 or 2 mpg of what Porsche claim with 98 unleaded and a Ford 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta that also gets close to Ford figures on long runs.

My X3 is nowhere near BMWs exaggerated claims for the B47 auto and has just had an interim oil change and clean bill of health at 6000 miles.
MPG shortfall is a something that has increased over time, well documented and a result of manufacturers working to achieve the best results possible. Happened under the old official test regime, hence the change to the NEDC (N=New) regime. Now well out of date and due to be replaced.

Manufacturers can only publish the official figures, however unrepresentative they are of real world driving. The very reason for the upcoming WLTP (Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure), which will include a more realistic 'real world' segment to the test.

It is not just BMW for which users are reporting large mpg shortfall, it is across all the marques. A key problem is the NEDC test is so light it can never represent typical driving. Some vehicles do better than others at higher and more realistic loads and use. Often shows up petrol vs. diesel, the NEDC test favours the diesel in most situations.

I add a comment I made in another topic on mpg and emissions.

Quote:
We definitely need a realistic test regime.

We hear the argument that it is only a comparative test, which it clearly is, but that doesn't work in practice, when we don't drive as light as the test.

If the test was formulated to be simulating the average of how we drive today, then the comparison idea may be more reflective in the real world.

The light loads of the test when compared, don't follow the same pattern when the loads are higher. The comparisons can then be so different. For example, NEDC combined figures may show a shortfall of 10% for one car in realistic driving, another 35% in the same driving. The tests must close that gap or there is no real credibility.
On the coasting issue, I'm not sure coasting will be part of the NEDC test, may have no relevance at all to the official figures.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I have same engine and average around 40-45mpg normally. Have on a couple of instances achieved over 50mpg - 54.1mpg was my very best!! I tend to put the car in ECOPRO mode when on a motorway when I can maintain a constant speed.

Your driving style might affect the figures, when I see red traffic lights ahead I tend to coast to them rather than accelerate and brake, I also don't have a heavy right foot and tend to graduate my acceleration - i don't drive like Miss Daisy but I don't drive like a pratt either!

For me - absolutely no issues with he quoted figures from BMW
      11-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
zalagan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
I have same engine and average around 40-45mpg normally. Have on a couple of instances achieved over 50mpg - 54.1mpg was my very best!! I tend to put the car in ECOPRO mode when on a motorway when I can maintain a constant speed.

Your driving style might affect the figures, when I see red traffic lights ahead I tend to coast to them rather than accelerate and brake, I also don't have a heavy right foot and tend to graduate my acceleration - i don't drive like Miss Daisy but I don't drive like a pratt either!

For me - absolutely no issues with he quoted figures from BMW
Thanks Smithy very helpful
Can I ask how many miles your X3 has done and do you use ordinary diesel?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
A1traveller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 xdrive 20d M Sport

My X3 averages 44mpg on a daly run of around 60miles motorway and addition 25 of city driving,
A longer motorway run of 234miles, i've seen 49.7, i took a photo of the obc at time.
My last two cars, 06 320d & 09 B8 A4 2.0TDI couldn't do any better than this.
So i'm very happy with the mpg of myX3
No a side note, i don't use eco pro, as i've never found it to increase the mpg, and at times, it is dangerous with slower accelleration
      12-01-2015, 02:59 AM   #12
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I am actually getting as low as 5.8l/100km on my daily commute to/from work if traffic is good. I find that quite good as the route is 50% town and 50%countryside.! By the way, I am running 19" staggered wheels... So 18" square would be even lower. HOWEVER if I get stuck at traffic lights or encounter stop-and-go traffic, consumption will go up to 7.9l/100km. FYI I always drive in comfort and sport mode.

I'm view of fuel economy I think the 20d is definitely a great choice;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:30 AM   #13
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I use regular diesel and currently have 29000 miles on the clock.

In comparison to my last 2 vehicles which were both Land Rover Freelander 2's, the best I ever got out of them was around 40mpg with an average of about 30mpg - very rough noisy engines with turbo lag - the X3 is worlds apart..
      12-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #14
Tony golfer
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 xDrive3.0d M Sport

Angry Thirsty BMW

I have just purchased latest model 2014 3.0 d X3 M Sport.
Brochure and salesman say I should get approx 45MPG .
Actual is only 30MPG!!Very disappointed that this is misrepresented!
Is there and grounds for action!
Tony golfer
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #15
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Change driver?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony golfer View Post
Tony golfer
You must drive quite hard and/or be in heavy driving conditions. I'd expect to be somewhere in the 34 - 38mpg range for average driving.

If you knock about 25% off the combined figure you won't be far off the average. BTW, salesmen can't say what a car will do, even their own experience may not be representative. Hence we get back to the official NEDC test being the only figures that can be quoted.

Even the government data from the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) includes the following statement.

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE
The fuel consumption figures quoted in this guide are obtained under specific test conditions, and therefore may not necessarily be achieved under ‘real life’ driving conditions. A range of factors influence actual fuel consumption - for example, driving style and behaviour, as well as the environment and conditions under which the vehicle is actually operated. The test figures are intended to be used for the purpose of making comparisons between models.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Not had a problem with either of my F25 X3s and can frequently get close to 55mpg on standard supermarket diesel. This screenshot was for a run that included busy roads such as the M4, M40, A43, M1 and M62 including the rush hour period. The average speed shows I don't drive particularly slowly.

For me the trick is predicting the traffic and leaving plenty of buffer space so I rarely need to brake. I don't use EcoPRO as I don't find it makes any noticeable saving for my driving and when I do need to accelerate it's slow to respond (dangerous).

I am, of course, trusting the BMW calculated MPG and haven't actually tried measuring actual consumption and mileage (I think odometers can be up to 5% out or something?)
Attached Images

12-03-2015, 04:04 AM   #18
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony golfer View Post
Tony golfer
Just to clarify, you mean MPG Imperial not US?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #19
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Grounds for action? Yes, drive differently.....

Mine's a 35d and my average is 33mpg (imperial) and it's better than my old 3.0d so I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
JimSchush
England
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0 D SE Auto

I have the same 2.0 d with sunroof and towbar, we average about 40 mpg on average and are more than happy with that.

When towing a 1.5 ton caravan we average about 32/33 mpg.

Love the car and now looking at what to have next.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Graham B
Rep
Drives: F25X3xDrive20dSE

I have only covered 3000 miles so far, so the engine is not properly run in yet.

I average around 41 MPG (imperial) around town and 43 MPG on the open road.

According to the increased range (or lack of) shown on the display when in ECO PRO, there is no benefit in selecting this when on the motorway. Elsewhere, I have only managed to increase the range by around 4 miles on a tank of fuel.

I have asked myself, why have I paid all this money to own an "Ultimate Driving Machine" and then select ECO PRO, thus losing the very performance which makes the car stand out from the opposition? The only very minor benefit of ECO PRO is a few extra miles per tank of fuel, but you have to put up with sluggish performance. No thank you.

In the normal setting with the Variable Damper Control I have, the car is a dream to drive. If there is a situation where I need to overtake quickly, I select Sport, or Sport + and the car takes off like a rocket!! and I only have the 20d engine! In the ECO PRO setting it's very uninspiring. The only time I will occasionally select it is in slow stop, start traffic, where the car then pulls away in a higher gear, giving passengers a smoother ride.

Bearing in mind I am driving a 4X4, with BMW performance and while fuel prices remain low, I am very happy with consumption in the low 40's. As the engine becomes run in, this can only improve. When I come to change the car, no doubt the 2017 model of the X3 will have better consumption, or of course there is likely to be a hybrid available.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #22
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
See the attached .. As can be seen my car is off the "official" figures, however I do feel that for the size/weight etc it is pretty remarkable

I live in pretty hilly part of the world .. And actually enjoy " driving it " 😀

I'm sure if I lived somewhere flat I might get more mpg

I don't use Eco pro .. I've played with it and have found the standard setting is much better and in my opinion just as economical
Attached Images

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0