BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
shornuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Leon

Considering an X3 (UK)

OK, so a week or so ago I was considering an E83 X3. Test drove some, and test drove an F25. We've pretty much decided we are going to up our budget to purchase an F25.

So, just wondering what I should be expecting for my budget. I'll be looking to spend around £15k.

Mileage wise, 50-80k seems about normal, although some in this price range go way above 100k. If I was to look for one around the 50-80K mark, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for, or any big services due around that time?

I haven't test drove one, but the auto gearbox seems to be a popular option. I haven't owned an auto in the past, but I'm quite keen to switch. Obviously the pro nav, with the wider screen would be nice.

Would be interested in knowing peoples thoughts and whether or not I'll be likely to find a decent buy within my budget.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Just to give you a benchmark - I bought an X3 a week or so back and this is my experience: Have been looking for an sdrive 1.8 for 6 months+, mainly because I don't need 4wd and it adds weight and maintenance risk, tyre complication and degrades mpg. Can't buy a new one from BMW UK (but you can buy in mainland europe, go figure) as the UK stopped selling them at the end of 2014. The Jan 2014 car I have just bought cost £16098 from a car supermarket and has covered 53k but is pretty tidy and goes well enough with its 140 odd BHP. Mine doesn't have runflats which is something to consider but does have variable dampers which are a good thing I feel. Thing to bear in mind with a higher mileage ex-contract car is the extended oil change intervals it will have experienced - I prefer 10k or less between changes personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
shornuk
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even realise there was a non 4wd version. I've only ever seen the 2.0 and 3.0d.
Part of me thinks to go privately and have a chance of knocking a bit more of the price. I'm weary of the car supermarkets. I've had good and bad experiences from them, but then I guess there is always an element of the unknown when it comes to used cars!

Forgot to ask, if you don't have runflats, is there space under the boot floor for a space saver tire?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

There is no space for a spare, so the non run flat varieties will have a bottle of gunk and tyre compressor with them.
I would go drive an M Sport and SE, but go for the auto as the 8 speed auto box is used extensively across the range and is exceptional. Even the motoring press admire it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shornuk View Post
Thanks for the reply. I didn't even realise there was a non 4wd version. I've only ever seen the 2.0 and 3.0d.
Part of me thinks to go privately and have a chance of knocking a bit more of the price. I'm weary of the car supermarkets. I've had good and bad experiences from them, but then I guess there is always an element of the unknown when it comes to used cars!

Forgot to ask, if you don't have runflats, is there space under the boot floor for a space saver tire?
There is a space but doubt its big enough - mine came with compressor and can of goo. Lot of non runflat cars don't come with a spare these days but I will probably get a space saver. If you haven't driven on runflats you should google it - a lot of people get rid of them because of the ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
There is a space but doubt its big enough - mine came with compressor and can of goo. Lot of non runflat cars don't come with a spare these days but I will probably get a space saver. If you haven't driven on runflats you should google it - a lot of people get rid of them because of the ride.
Can i ask what size wheels/tyres your car has. I'm looking to buy a spare/winter set
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
shornuk
Registered
Rep

Ah right! I've looked at the boot and it certainly didn't seem like there was enough space for a space saver.
Definitely going to look into the auto.
With regards to servicing, the one I saw today had been done every 10k. Is there anywhere to see what servicing is required at what time/mileage. I'm guessing it's chain driven as well so no cam belt change I presume?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The X3 has condition based servicing. From the main iDrive screen, go to settings and then drill down into service status. There you can scroll through all the various servicable items such as front/rear brake pads, oil change etc
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Be careful when you are shopping around, it seems that a 2011 20d auto with nav and xenons is around £15-16k with 70k miles on it, £17-18k with 50k miles on it.

But then you can be in a 2013 with £10k worth of spec for around £2-3k more.

What I am saying is these loose loads in the first 3 years and then virtually nothing in the 2-3 years after that. So it may be worth trying to up your budget slightly?

I am not trying to sell you this as when my old man realised I was selling he has said he will have it. But this was mine and I would have taken around the £20k mark, which imho makes the £15-16k 70k mile 2011 cars that are now 5 years old, and with very little spec. look pretty over priced.......

Link To My Advert
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #10
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Can i ask what size wheels/tyres your car has. I'm looking to buy a spare/winter set
225 60 17 x4
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:41 AM   #11
shornuk
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the tips. I'm not adverse to adding a tad to my budget for the right car. It's a shame you're not trying to sell me yours because that's a beaut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I am not trying to sell you this as when my old man realised I was selling he has said he will have it. But this was mine and I would have taken around the £20k mark, which imho makes the £15-16k 70k mile 2011 cars that are now 5 years old, and with very little spec. look pretty over priced.......

Link To My Advert
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #12
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@glzze can you tell me more about those pirelli non rft's you mention in your advert please.
I love my car, but always get dissapointed with the ride/tyre noise on less than perfect road surfaces.
Keep debating tyre type change or wheel/tyre change
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

They are the Pirelli P Zero All Seasons.

I had used them before on my ML and really liked them.
And they come on a lot of Range Rovers too.

I wouldn't say they are the best wearing, but they are very comfy and nice and quiet.

This guy will do a deal for a set by the way.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2712284947...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2712284950...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:14 AM   #14
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We run Summer winter tyres - and RFTs - understand all the issues and concerns but no way is my wife changing one of those things in the dark miles from a phone signal - so makes a lot of sense to us.

The auto box is great and as efficient as a manual.

We have had ours from new and taken the extended warranty option just as an insurance - small price to pay for the comfort it brings.

Done 35k and not had any issues yet, tyres all still good (about 25k on summers) and no other costs - brakes all still fine.

good luck
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I undertand that re run flats, however, for me runflats are simply a compromise too far. The X3 on run flats I simply don't like, if I had to have run flats I would move away from BMW completely.

When I say they are not the best wearing, I meant I got 25,000 out of the Michelin Latitude Tours on the ML and then 'only' 20,000 miles from the P Zero All Seasons. So not a bad wearing tyre at all. The contis on the ML were shot in under 15k miles as a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:22 AM   #16
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
We run Summer winter tyres - and RFTs - understand all the issues and concerns but no way is my wife changing one of those things in the dark miles from a phone signal - so makes a lot of sense to us.
I agree entirely. We run the majority of our miles on motorways (M40, M1, M25) in our X3 3.0d MSport and would never consider using NON run flat tyres. Heaven forbid I would have stop to use gunk to repair a puncture or change a wheel (spacesaver) on the hard shoulder. The emergency services will advise on how dangerous a place the hard shoulder is. In our view the safety aspects of runflats far outweigh the small ride benefits from non runflats.

As stated in a previous thread, my BMW dealer says it is a very rare event to see a BMW on non run flats when they are specified as OEM on a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
As stated in a previous thread, my BMW dealer says it is a very rare event to see a BMW on non run flats when they are specified as OEM on a new vehicle.

My car left the factory on non run flats.

The roads around here, in Norfolk are shocking, and the difference between run flats and normal makes a huge difference.

if I was just going up and down the M11 all day every day I would live with the run flats. But I simply can't, I would have to move to another brand.

The F11 we had on 18s with run flats was the best so far for me, and I can see how people can live with them, so not knocking anyones choice, but I just couldn't stay on them myself.

The other issue is every flat I have had in the last 20 years has been on run flats, and I take them off within weeks of getting the car if not days.
Out of the 250-350k miles I have done in the last 12 years with BMWs that can be optioned with run flats I have had 4 flats and all have been on run flats, of which I have probably done no more than 10k miles on them.

When I had my 535d, the first car with run flats, I didn't want to swap, as I didn't think a gan of goo and compressor would be enough. But one of the guys on the old BM3W forum got a sidewall puncture when at the 'Ring, he goo'ed his M3 up and did 3 more laps!
That was what changed my mind about the tyre goo.
I wouldn't dare do 'Ring laps on a goo'ed tyre, think he was nuts, but it made me realise I could easily get home.

The old man went from the M1/M6/A14 back to Norwich on a goo'ed flat in his 7 Series. Stayed at 60mph all the way home, but got back and when the tyre shop looked at it the next day they said it hadn't lost any pressure at all.

Touch wood I haven't had to use it, but I have quite a bit of confidence in the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Oh, out of interest I tried a new C Class estate recently, I dismissed it completely as it reminded me of the jiggly mess of the 328i I had had a few days before on run flats, the way it was skittish at the back and crashed over raised iron works and pot holes.

Turns out Mercedes are now fitting some of their cars with run flats too!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Touch wood I haven't had to use it, but I have quite a bit of confidence in the stuff.
You might have, but it does not change the fact that the average family motorists where the wife uses the car with young children in it on a regularly basis would never dream of using the stuff.

The run flat tyres are aimed at the average family and in that respect are a godsend, and as you can see, Mercedes are in the same camp for some cars aimed at the family man.

Anyway, this thread is all about purchasing an older X3 and and not yet another thread about the fors and against of non run flat tyres. I understand your perfectly valid reasons for running conventional tyres instead of RFs, but non runflat X3s are in the minority, and the original poster should expect to normally see RFs when looking for a used X3 at a dealership.

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-03-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #20
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

My wife is always taking the car back and forth between Greenwich and Norfolk and will happily use it, with our son in the car.
She was the one who said either get rid of the run flats or get rid of the car on her 123d.

I get what you are saying, but I simply wouldn't want the X3 on run flats.

Just personal preference.

Mercedes are now offering the cars on proper tyres again too.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just personal preference.
Fine. As long as that is the case. Then each to their own.

I would never advise people to take runflats off a vehicle that was specified with them and fit non runflats. It is the safety aspect that a sudden deflation at high speed that makes them a high priority.

Anyway, the new winter RF 18" tyres (as opposed to my summer 19" staggered) currently fitted to my X3 are extremely pliable and give an excellent ride. I could well be running the for an extra month and carefully monitor wear.

Now to a completely opposite view (and off topic also) on my wife's small seat 1.4 SC Ibiza. She always complained about the harshness of the ride and always compared it to my e90 325d. Around 6 months ago when the tyres were at the end of their life, we got an excellent deal on winter tyres from Costco and had fitted Michelin winter tyres all round for the princely sum of £213.30 inc fitting and VAT. The ride on these is extremely pliable and the difference is phenomenal. It is all because the tyre manufactures are continually changing the compounds to increase longevity/traction/control.

I understand from another forum, that this also happening with the latest incarnations of RFs.

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-03-2016 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Typing error first line
Appreciate 0