BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #23
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Perhaps I haven't articulated well enough but you're still missing the point

The 20d is designed to be sporty as well as economical, that's why it has a high peak bhp and is designed to top league tables for 0-62mph runs.

The POINT IS, with the manual, the knock on effect this has is the turbo lag which is very noticable at low revs and is actually horrendous. I drove two 2010 models 320d manuals last year and both had the same issue. Or as the tech stated 'a character of the car sir'

If the new 8-speed auto manages to kick-down at lows from 2nd to 1st to avoid potentially dangerous situations with the 20d, then great. Thank goodness for that.

Whenever someone takes deliver of their car 20d, pull away from standstill is 2nd and also slow down to a crawl in 2nd and then accelerate hard. Pls post what the lag is like.
Just curious why you wouldn't shift down to first if you already know this to be an issue…that is what I would do.