BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #265
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
That's correct though. If you order VSS, you get DDC so you have to have a rocker switch to be able to change the steering from Normal to Sport
If you order VSS without Msport do you still get the Rocker Switch?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #266
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Quote:
That's correct though. If you order VSS, you get DDC so you have to have a rocker switch to be able to change the steering from Normal to Sport
Why do then the computer display say and indicate chassis suspension change?( see my pictures earlier)
I have now been on a little drive together with the BMW salesman who said he could feel change in the suspension between the different programs..

Anyway he has sent an inquiry to bmw centrally..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #267
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Why do then the computer display say and indicate chassis suspension change?( see my pictures earlier)
I have now been on a little drive together with the BMW salesman who said he could feel change in the suspension between the different programs..

Anyway he has sent an inquiry to bmw centrally..
I'm not saying that you don't have VDC (EDC), just that if you only have VSS, you would get DDC and hence the rocker switch.

Drive it down a straight bumpy road twice, first in Normal, and then in Sport+. You should be able to detect the change in suspension

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #268
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
If you order VSS without Msport do you still get the Rocker Switch?
Yes, a UK member has VSS, non M sport. You would have to have a switch to be able to change from Normal to Sport steering

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #269
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carbon Black X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
No problem! Let us know how it all turns out.
So after less than 24 hours after e-mailing my PDC rep. and also posting on Facebook, both have replied saying that someone from Customer Relations will be contacting me soon regarding my situation. Hopefully they can just help me get the car that I ordered from the beginning. Fingers crossed. This has been such a stressful situation and it's just beginning. Especially now that I have learned that the M-Package just gives you normal (non-sport) suspension! Just great...

SJ
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #270
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
So after less than 24 hours after e-mailing my PDC rep. and also posting on Facebook, both have replied saying that someone from Customer Relations will be contacting me soon regarding my situation. Hopefully they can just help me get the car that I ordered from the beginning. Fingers crossed. This has been such a stressful situation and it's just beginning. Especially now that I have learned that the M-Package just gives you normal (non-sport) suspension! Just great...

SJ
In Norway M-Package includes sport suspension... but one can delete this and get "standard" suspension which i did and maybe ended up with EDC?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #271
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In Norway M-Package includes sport suspension... but one can delete this and get "standard" suspension which i did and maybe ended up with EDC?
Maybe... I was just referring to the US build. Sorry for the confusion.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #272
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Ok, so after reading all of these posts, I think I might know what is going on with the whole M-sport/sport suspension delete/DHP...it seems as though the M-sport option deletes the sport suspension when ordered in the US, yet we get the rocker switch which many have documented controls the chassis feel (per iDrive menus and customer seat time). My thought, is that when you order M-sport in the US, they delete the sport suspension because the sport suspension is a "fixed" suspension, meaning no adjustment of the damping, etc is possible. The M-sport comes with some sort of adjustable suspension, just not as "dynamic" as that in the DHP, meaning it can only adjust the rates of all 4 corners at the same time, not indivually like the DHP.

So I don't think the sports suspension delete of the M-sport package is actually giving you the standard suspension...that just doesn't make any sense given the nature of that package. I think we are getting an adjustable suspension, just not as advanced as the EDC in the DHP.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #273
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Ok, so after reading all of these posts, I think I might know what is going on with the whole M-sport/sport suspension delete/DHP...it seems as though the M-sport option deletes the sport suspension when ordered in the US, yet we get the rocker switch which many have documented controls the chassis feel (per iDrive menus and customer seat time). My thought, is that when you order M-sport in the US, they delete the sport suspension because the sport suspension is a "fixed" suspension, meaning no adjustment of the damping, etc is possible. The M-sport comes with some sort of adjustable suspension, just not as "dynamic" as that in the DHP, meaning it can only adjust the rates of all 4 corners at the same time, not indivually like the DHP.

So I don't think the sports suspension delete of the M-sport package is actually giving you the standard suspension...that just doesn't make any sense given the nature of that package. I think we are getting an adjustable suspension, just not as advanced as the EDC in the DHP.
Has anyone test driven a non-M/DHP vs. a M-Package X3? Feel any difference besides the addition of larger 19 in wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #274
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:

This is probably the most sensible explanation I've read.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #275
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

The software showing the setting on iDrive doesn't mean the physical electronic dampers are there.

As far as I know, there's no other known suspension, other than standard, sport, and electronic. If there's another one, the Germans would certainly have them and would let their customers know.
      06-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #276
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
The software showing the setting on iDrive doesn't mean the physical electronic dampers are there.

As far as I know, there's no other known suspension, other than standard, sport, and electronic.
That's just my point...why would BMWNA delete the sport suspension on the M-SPORT package and replace it with the standard suspension...makes no sense. That's why I think there are two levels of an adjustable suspension... a base level in the M-Sport that lets you adjust overall feel, and the "dynamic" suspension with EDC on the DHP, which allows each individual wheel to adjust on the fly.

That would explain the rocker switch in M-sports without DHP, with the chassis settings highlighted and people reporting a difference in feel.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #277
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Quote:

On a 28i M-Sport the rocker switch hasn't been installed on any except the one listed on eBay (at least no one on this board has said they received it), yet it also has 225 Sport Suspension Delete. So if there was an adjustable suspension that is different from the standard suspension, the 28i doesn't seem to have the capability to control it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #278
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would say that's unlikely as VDC/EDC is a £1000 option whereas deleting sports suspension is free

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #279
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
This is probably the most sensible explanation I've read.
+1

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #280
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
That's just my point...why would BMWNA delete the sport suspension on the M-SPORT package and replace it with the standard suspension...makes no sense. That's why I think there are two levels of an adjustable suspension... a base level in the M-Sport that lets you adjust overall feel, and the "dynamic" suspension with EDC on the DHP, which allows each individual wheel to adjust on the fly.

That would explain the rocker switch in M-sports without DHP, with the chassis settings highlighted and people reporting a difference in feel.
Why? Because BMWNA does not believe that the X3 drivers care to have a sport suspension. The target drivers of X3 are quite different from 3 series. If you didn't know, BMW has been doing this with other vehicles for some time. Now in the U.S. for 5, 7, Z4, X3/5/6, you either get a standard suspension, or you get electronic damper control - which is quite expensive because it's grouped with other electronics in 5/7, X5/6. In the U.S., 1 and 3 are the only vehicles that offer a simple sport suspension.

By the way, sport suspension delete (aka going back to standard suspension) has always been an option in other markets for BMWs with the M Sport option, because some people just want the looks without a hard suspension. BMW has also offered a specific M Sport suspension (different from a regular sport suspension) in some markets for some vehicles in the past, but this is not the case for the current X3.

Anyway, I think the facts are pretty clear. Some may choose to bury their heads in the sand. Nevertheless, go and enjoy the vehicle, and if the standard suspension isn't good enough for you, I'm sure that there would be after market components from Koni or Bilstein that can improve the handling.
      06-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #281
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK guys just to add to the confusion, I dont know what the heck I got. I did order VSS but not EDC, I got the rocker switch..

See my order options and see the other options.. why can I change chassis if i don't have EDC/DDC?

Also why did I get DVD player when I didnt order NAV?

I been driving all day and according to the order papers I have standard suspension, but the seller and I are not quite sure.. There is an distinct difference in chassis suspension between normal and sport programs....

I dont know, but I think its overkill to install the switch just for VSS and sport gearing... And why can I choose chassis when configuring the sport mode in the computer ? ( see pictures above)

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-17-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #282
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Hi it's easy to see if you have adjustable dampers just turn the steering wheel and take a look in bottom of the damper it should have a wired connection connected to a housing in the bottom part of damper. Ref: Lotus7 posted a picture in an other tread.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #283
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

VSS comes with DDC so that's why you have the switch. DDC does tighten up the chassis, hence the iDrive config setting

See BMW website. These are the descriptions against the 5 series

Drive Dynamic Control.

How would you like to drive today? Drive Dynamic Control makes the difference. Adapt the BMW 5 Series Touring to meet your needs – or those of your passengers.

[B]A flick of the switch next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from NORMAL to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed automatic transmission with Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Push the switch again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Traction Control allows more slip to the rear wheels.

The COMFORT mode is available with Variable Damper Control or Adaptive Drive and provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.

Variable Damper Control.

Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac – with Variable Damper Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.
The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. With Variable Damper Control the BMW 5 Series Touring provides a suitable setting for each new surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set.

This puts an end to the need for compromise and means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Driving Dynamic Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/specials/5serie...trol.html#more

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #284
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
VSS comes with DDC so that's why you have the switch. DDC does tighten up the chassis, hence the iDrive config setting

See BMW website. These are the descriptions against the 5 series

How does DDC tighten up the chassis?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #285
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How does DDC tighten up the chassis?
I don't know exactly but it's not the same as VDC/EDC which is about having a very sensitive control unit on each wheel and making fine adjustments on the fly based on response from the road surface. With DDC, suspension only changes when you change from Normal to Sport etc

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #286
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't know exactly but it's not the same as VDC/EDC which is about having a very sensitive control unit on each wheel and making fine adjustments on the fly based on response from the road surface. With DDC, suspension only changes when you change from Normal to Sport etc
only found this:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...mic_drive.html
Appreciate 0