BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #1
JimPickens
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3

Angry Shifts feel so sluggish and unsure why

I have a 2016 X3 Xdrive with 43k miles and the 1-3 shifts feel terrible all the time, even after getting to temp. The best way I can think to describe it is that the shifts feel highly pressurized. The downshifts from 5th gear down feel jerky as well. I have tried manual shifting to see if it's any better, but it still rough. Although, letting it auto-downshift in manual mode makes the downshifts feel better.

A few months ago I had the trans fluid drained and the adaptations reset which helped slightly but it is back to how it was prior to that so I am thinking it has to be something else.

Just yesterday I pulled off the highway and let off the throttle to roll up to an inclined turn and when reengaging the throttle, it did not know what gear it wanted to be in. It downshifted, realized the RPM was over 3k, upshifted to too high of a gear, and then downshifted again. If i had to guess, it went 2nd to 4th then back to 3rd. So the whole time this is happening the car wasn't accelerating. Just stuck in between shifts. When it did finally apply the power, it was rough to say the least. Keep in mind this is in comfort mode and driving completely normal. I am taking it in tomorrow to see what the shop says.

Anybody have similar symptoms or have any ideas on where to start? I thought about having them just replace the solenoids to see if that helps but I don't want to just start throwing money at it since I am upgrading later this year anyways. TIA!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:04 PM   #2
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Have you changed transfer case fluid + recalibrated? I've read that can sometimes cause what you're describing. I could be totally wrong, just something to look into. At a shop that should cost ~$250
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:24 AM   #3
tman101
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25

pretty easy DIY - I did it a few weeks ago

Appreciate 0