BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi & 2011 X3 2.8i

Exclamation Engine Malfuntion Code / Light

X3 2.8i is at the dealer already at approx 1,600 miles. Wife heard a tapping noise one night last week. I also noticed slight hesitation on acceleration from dead start so i'm having them look into that as well. They said there was a code for Engine Malfunction. Anyone else having any issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
stlgirl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 28i X3

Hi, my X3 2.8 has 700 miles and is headed for the dealer this Saturday. Sensor issue: Oil temperature sensor malfunction is what the error screen says when I go to turn the car off. I checked the diagnostics and found that the oil level is okay. Doesn't appear that the engine temp is off.
As if that wasn't enough, today when i went to turn the a/c on-only got hot air blowing. i had the knob turned to blue and had the snowflake-looking button pushed. So annoyed right now..also now thinking maybe I should've bought one of these in 2012 after BMW had some time to iron the wrinkles out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's a pain but if they give you a loaner like my dealer does, at least your not left without a car.

Got mine back yesterday and they said they didn't find any issues, go figure.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by acove View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's a pain but if they give you a loaner like my dealer does, at least your not left without a car.

Got mine back yesterday and they said they didn't find any issues, go figure.

Good luck.
What about the "Engine Malfunction" code? If, in fact, the ECU recorded a malfunction code, that in itself is an "issue". They should have investigated it and let you know the results. Either a component has or is failing or, if not, the ECU is misreporting codes, either way, I'd be concerned by a report that they didn't find any issues.

Unless the mention of a "Engine Malfunction" code was just casual conversation from your SA speculating that there MAY be a code.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Got it back. They have no idea what triggered the code to be recorded. That's what I expected. I'm not really worried at this point, it's under warranty. Go BMW!
Appreciate 0