BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
AbsoLutBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

How do the Paddle Shifters Work exactly?

Ok so this is my first automatic car lol and i'm trying to figure out one thing.. So i know when you physically switch the tranny with the shifter to Manual mode you can obviously shift with the paddles and then when your done you just shift it back with the shifter to "D"... But my question is when your driving in "D" and you click the - or the + on the paddles without putting it in manual mode is it the same thing? and if so once your finished shifting how do you put it back in automatic mode cause its already in "D" on the shifter.. I hope this makes sense and doesn't confuse you haha..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

It has been my (limited) experance that leaving the shift lever alone and using the paddles will give you a "momentary" down or up shift then the transmission will return to the automatic mode you are in. I can "shift" in any mode but it reverts back after a short time.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Yes, it's useful for the freeway or something, or when you wait a bit extra engine braking. You can drop down a couple gears with the paddles and do what you need to do, then just resume driving normally and after a short amount of time it just goes back to D.
Appreciate 0