BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
"I don't want middle and lower-class Americans building foreign cars they will never have the opportunity to own."

Are there rich or well-to-do people working on assembly lines? And if so, is the quality of the product better? Offensive remark.
Although I do NOT live/Work in the states I agree with your comments.
I have the first BMW with a delivered previously recorded FAULT.
I have had new BMW's (6) in the past with zero faults.
Although this X3 is built in the states by US workers, the parts may NOT be. Therefore who is to blame for this poor reliability?.
I just can not get my head round a car (MINE) being built in week 40 still coming out of a factory with a reported fault 6 months ago
It belies comprehension and shows that BMW have IMO gone down hill fast. This may weel be my last BMW ever.
      11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #46
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
"I don't want middle and lower-class Americans building foreign cars they will never have the opportunity to own."

Are there rich or well-to-do people working on assembly lines? And if so, is the quality of the product better? Offensive remark.
Generally the people who actually touch the cars are paid less and therefore given less motivation to do their jobs well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #47
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Generally the people who actually touch the cars are paid less and therefore given less motivation to do their jobs well.
This is the case the world over with "repetitive work" it still is "Over seen" by Managers, or should be, that should ensure "Quality control".
In My case the parts were NOT fitted incorrectly, the parts have failed and have been reported as failing for 6 F88king Months.
      11-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #48
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE: BMW UK have ordered the "Complete steering rack from germany If they have ONE!!!!, that will take a week or more, or !!!!!!!!!!!!
Get one from the US, just how long will that take?.
I have given them till the end of next week and then I would like a new car ordered.
This will be my very last BMW, sorry.
      11-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #49
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE: One in germany, we got the order in, on it's way.
      11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I'm getting worried now with all the failures on here. Hope you get it fixed soon and restore my faith!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I'm getting worried now with all the failures on here. Hope you get it fixed soon and restore my faith!!!
BMW UK really need a kick up the arse, there customer relations are bl**dy awful.
I had to go to the top to get any response and thats still not good enough for me, they should have offered to fly the part from Germany over night, but they have not.
I will not be buying another BMW, no way.
      11-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #52
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Without meaning to belittle johnbmw6's predicament which anyone would be really pissed off with, I count 3 people who have posted steering issues (there are probably a few more) on this forum. With 21,500 X3s sold in NA alone YTD Oct 2011, I don't see this as a problem that people waiting on their new X3 should be concerned with

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Without meaning to belittle johnbmw6's predicament which anyone would be really pissed off with, I count 3 people who have posted steering issues (there are probably a few more) on this forum. With 21,500 X3s sold in NA alone YTD Oct 2011, I don't see this as a problem that people waiting on their new X3 should be concerned with
+1 to that

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #54
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Forums will always magnify a problem with a car. That said, I would hate to go through what John is going through...especially since I wanted to hear all about the monster that is the 35D.
      11-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #55
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The issue on poor assembly these days is rarely down to the workers on the line, and much more likely to be caused by less than perfect production planning and product development. And this affects every manufacturer regardless of country of assembly and ownership of the company. Mercedes assemble in a number of countries and in recent years experienced numerous failures post production that were common to all plants producing the same type of vehicle. Most assembly line crews are competitive with crews from other plants - everyone wants to be #1 with zero defects - so that's not typically where the problem starts.

Check 1st year stats for all new luxury brand models and then see if BMW is any worse than its competitors.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #56
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

John

When the local stealer removed the 35D from your lockup did they drive or or push/tow it out? Just wondered if they enabled 'car wash mode' (discussed at length on another post by Lotus with reference to the manual)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #57
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Quote:
I'm sorry for John's situation and understand the anger with BMW. However as an working class person myself, I will continue to defend and support those in Spartanburg. Reading across these forums, i guess i'm not a typical Bimmer owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #58
Chlu1125TWNF25
Rep
Drives: F25

How lucky you guys. We have only 3.0d... what a pity.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #59
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry for John's situation and understand the anger with BMW. However as an working class person myself, I will continue to defend and support those in Spartanburg. Reading across these forums, i guess i'm not a typical Bimmer owner.
I guess it's just capitalism taking flight through my keyboard...capitalism, and preconceived notions about demographics. I do have complete respect for all those who have jobs and continue to work them dutifully. I am wary, though, about premium products being built by people who haven't yet had the opportunity to experience ownership of those premium products. The fact that I am emotionally fixated on the mechanical well-being of my car means absolutely nothing to Joe, Bob, and Steve working in Spartanburg, SC. And no matter how many times I call BMWNA headquarters, Joe, Bob, and Steve will not care so long as they continue to build BMWs and then drive home in American cars that cost half as much.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #60
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

If it makes anyone on here happier....I passed a 60 Reg Bentley on the M6 near Birmingham yesterday on the hard shoulder with bonnet up!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #61
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mate I am NOT blaming the guys at the factory, they only fit the parts they do not to my knowledge manufacture the steering racks.
      11-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #62
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
John

When the local stealer removed the 35D from your lockup did they drive or or push/tow it out? Just wondered if they enabled 'car wash mode' (discussed at length on another post by Lotus with reference to the manual)
Good point mate I will ask.
      11-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #63
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This does surprise me as the 35D cars are first on the new production line!!!.
Just had call from dealer ... and production date is wk10!! not happy
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #64
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
I guess it's just capitalism taking flight through my keyboard...capitalism, and preconceived notions about demographics. I do have complete respect for all those who have jobs and continue to work them dutifully. I am wary, though, about premium products being built by people who haven't yet had the opportunity to experience ownership of those premium products. The fact that I am emotionally fixated on the mechanical well-being of my car means absolutely nothing to Joe, Bob, and Steve working in Spartanburg, SC. And no matter how many times I call BMWNA headquarters, Joe, Bob, and Steve will not care so long as they continue to build BMWs and then drive home in American cars that cost half as much.
Wow...that is a lot of assumptions...and I couldn't disagree more. I would assume that those line workers would want to put out the best product they can as a reflection of the work done in the factory...and what they drive has absolutely nothing to do with their work ethic - you either have it or you don't and the amount of money you have or you make doesn't have anything to do with it...work ethinc is an intrinsic quality.
      11-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #65
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

It seems this thread has completely 180'ed from happy and excited owners of the 35d to speculating why the failures have occurred, so I will weigh in and not consider it thread jacking now. As one of those pi$$ed off owners of a steering issue still currently without my car it is maddening as hell. But I do NOT think it is a widespread issue enough for anyone to worry about (unless you have the issue). This is evidenced by the underwhelming few people that have discussed it in the forums compared to the 21000 plus manufactured, AND the fact if it was a common problem they would know how to fix it readily and not have service departments and BMW engineers stumped. It is maddening as hell and I empathize with all who have dealt with quality issues but I CANNOT jump on the band wagon and crucify Joe, Steve, or Bob in Spartanburg. Hard working Americans who have agreed to stay non union all seemed happy, and competent to turn the screws they have been told to do in their little micro world on the assembly line. When I was touring the plant I witnessed the assembly line shut down and when I asked what the problem was an hourly worker on the line is empowered to stop the entire line if there is any issue in quality or production, and one of the men in front of me installing the dash had done just that. We love you Joe, Steve, Bob.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #66
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Wow...that is a lot of assumptions...and I couldn't disagree more. I would assume that those line workers would want to put out the best product they can as a reflection of the work done in the factory...and what they drive has absolutely nothing to do with their work ethic - you either have it or you don't and the amount of money you have or you make doesn't have anything to do with it...work ethinc is an intrinsic quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt View Post
It seems this thread has completely 180'ed from happy and excited owners of the 35d to speculating why the failures have occurred, so I will weigh in and not consider it thread jacking now. As one of those pi$$ed off owners of a steering issue still currently without my car it is maddening as hell. But I do NOT think it is a widespread issue enough for anyone to worry about (unless you have the issue). This is evidenced by the underwhelming few people that have discussed it in the forums compared to the 21000 plus manufactured, AND the fact if it was a common problem they would know how to fix it readily and not have service departments and BMW engineers stumped. It is maddening as hell and I empathize with all who have dealt with quality issues but I CANNOT jump on the band wagon and crucify Joe, Steve, or Bob in Spartanburg. Hard working Americans who have agreed to stay non union all seemed happy, and competent to turn the screws they have been told to do in their little micro world on the assembly line. When I was touring the plant I witnessed the assembly line shut down and when I asked what the problem was an hourly worker on the line is empowered to stop the entire line if there is any issue in quality or production, and one of the men in front of me installing the dash had done just that. We love you Joe, Steve, Bob.
Know, though, that it's not just a steering rack issue. There have been too many different VIN numbers all around the world delivered with problems. If you consider that some 21,000 have been delivered to US customers, and at least a few hundred cars in the US have had these quality control problems and mechanical issues, it's just a lot of cars with problems.

I'm not saying they're bad people, nor am I saying they lack work ethics. All I'm saying is that they aren't passionate about the engineering excellence that goes into building a BMW. I do not think Joe, Bob, and Steve don't care about doing their jobs correctly, but it is that their job descriptions do not entail the highest level of quality control. When they lay the dashboard, they're just worried about if it clicks into the interior, not if it's absolutely, perfectly flush with every line that converges it. Joe, Bob, and Steve might not have been given the job had it entailed more manufacturing experience.

But people are people, and no matter how virtuous or altruistic they may be, guilt, shame, and envy are there (though not necessarily as overwhelming characteristics of their personality), and there's no denying it. Just because they've accepted non-union jobs does not mean they're entirely unfeeling and ambivalent to their emotions. I don't blame them for being human. I blame BMW for not training their employees better.

But know that I will not offer my sympathy just because they aren't union laborers. How insulting would it be if I had the attitude of some philanthropic nightlife-goer, always tipping the valet 35% because I feel bad that my life has worked out? You tell me which kind of person you'd like me to be.
Appreciate 0