BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #45
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
For interior care, do any of you guys use this?

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...CClistExterior
I use 303, Lexol and Einszett products on the inside. Much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #46
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I use 303, Lexol and Einszett products on the inside. Much better.
Given you have first hand experience with the products, when you get the chance, can you link me to the one(s) you use on the vinyl/plastic pieces inside the car and for the seats?

I'll order them there after.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #47
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Quote:
The Pinnacle Souveran liquid spray wax you mentioned above, let's say after I finish washing/drying my car, do I just spray a certain area of the car and wipe and do that for the entire car? Is that it?
Yep, just mist a panel on the car, and wipe it across the panel with your microfiber. Flip the microfiber over and buff it in. That's all you have to do for quick detail sprays...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #48
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Yep, just mist a panel on the car, and wipe it across the panel with your microfiber. Flip the microfiber over and buff it in. That's all you have to do for quick detail sprays...

Sweet. I will probably order this the week I get my car, which should be the end of the month hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #49
flash3
Captain
Rep

I know some of you all provided links to other material/solvents but one question for everyone else, are there any Meguiar's products you would recommend for the plastic trim pieces of the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #50
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I still haven't found a spray on quick wax that's as good as advertised. They're all definitely good, but don't expect them to replace the traditional sealant/wax. Zaino's detail spray is good, however lately I've been using Pinnacle Souveran liquid spray wax (I got a good deal on it and bought a gallon):
http://autogeek.net/pinnacle-souveran-spray-wax.html

Chemical Guys Speed Wipe is really good stuff also, and it's inexpensive:
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Pink_Qui...wac_102_16.htm

Chemical Guys makes some REALLY nice microfibers too. Get your waffle weave from autogeek though.

Even for the spray wax you mentioned above, the waffle weave microfiber will be decent and the best way to go? Just want to make sure before I order.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #51
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
I know some of you all provided links to other material/solvents but one question for everyone else, are there any Meguiar's products you would recommend for the plastic trim pieces of the car?
Meguiars Ultimate Protectant ...Long lasting. 4 & 5 stars on Autogeek
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #52
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Meguiars Ultimate Protectant ...Long lasting. 4 & 5 stars on Autogeek
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2074____#

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2074_____

This stuff? And are both equally good or is one better?

Last edited by flash3; 04-05-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #53
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the stuff. I haven't use the spray, so I really couldn't comment on which is better. I choose the liquid for the exterior because I could have better application control and a thicker application.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #54
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
That's the stuff. I haven't use the spray, so I really couldn't comment on which is better. I choose the liquid for the exterior because I could have better application control and a thicker application.
Thanks for the info. I am assuming you use this stuff on your exterior trim and have netted good results?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #55
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am assuming you use this stuff on your exterior trim and have netted good results?
That's correct. I have used it only on the exterior. As I wrote early, my daughter's 325i was parked outside next to the beach in Santa Barbara, CA. for four years during her college days . A lot of sun and salty ocean spray. A nasty environment for a car finish. The protectant really did a great job of restoring the black plastic and has lasted longer than other products I have used. I've had the same good results on my other cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #56
flash3
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #57
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Even for the spray wax you mentioned above, the waffle weave microfiber will be decent and the best way to go? Just want to make sure before I order.
Waffle weave is used for drying purposes only.

For buffing purposes you'll want a dedicated microfiber towel. These towels will also be used for removing waxes and polishes, as well as interior care.

I have microfiber towels of varying size and thickness for this purpose. For example, on autogeek you can buy all purpose Cobra towels with various colors -- green, blue, yellow, etc. You can use yellow towels for example to clean the dash, blue for door jambs and such. You definitely don't have to do this though.

I would get plusher towels for removing waxes and polishes, as well as quick detail work.

Autogeek has an intro guide on microfiber:

http://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #58
Waffle
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE

Calling all UK members on this forum, what are you using or recommend from your local Halfords outlet to 'detail' your X3?

BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SE
black sapphire | black nevada leather | wave wood | 19" double spoke alloys | xline | xenons | business advanced media package | electric seats | dab | extended storage | grey shade band | auto
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #59
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Waffle weave is used for drying purposes only.

For buffing purposes you'll want a dedicated microfiber towel. These towels will also be used for removing waxes and polishes, as well as interior care.

I have microfiber towels of varying size and thickness for this purpose. For example, on autogeek you can buy all purpose Cobra towels with various colors -- green, blue, yellow, etc. You can use yellow towels for example to clean the dash, blue for door jambs and such. You definitely don't have to do this though.

I would get plusher towels for removing waxes and polishes, as well as quick detail work.

Autogeek has an intro guide on microfiber:

http://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html
I ordered a 6 pack over the weekend. So I'll spread them accordingly. That AG site has been a godsend of info. Thanks to whomever provided that earlier!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #60
flash3
Captain
Rep

So I've read on some sites that washing a brand new car is perfectly fine as it will get rid of all the shine the dealers put at the time of their preps but waxing a brand new car isn't a wise idea.

Yet, I've seen some people say they've waxed, polished and even clay bar'd their cars...... :dontknow:
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #61
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Don't polish the car until it needs it. Unless your dealership completely mucks it up, I seriously doubt your car's paint would need correction brand new from the factory.

Considering you're in NC, I tend to doubt you'd need to clay your X3 either. You're right near the factory, so I can't imagine you'd be exposed to anything so quickly. You'll just need to evaluate the paint when you take delivery.

I bet all you'll need is a good wash, glaze (optional), sealant, and wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #62
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
So I've read on some sites that washing a brand new car is perfectly fine as it will get rid of all the shine the dealers put at the time of their preps but waxing a brand new car isn't a wise idea.

Yet, I've seen some people say they've waxed, polished and even clay bar'd their cars...... :dontknow:
I don't know who would say that a new car doesn't need to be waxed. That's just crazy. Claying is also essential if you're going to get your wax to lay down properly. Polishing though? Seems a bit much. I suppose there might be some dealer installed swirl marks if you let them wash your car before you pick it up. In that case you may want to have it polished. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though. Paint correction is a skill that takes a very long time to learn. And I doubt you want to practice on your new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #63
flash3
Captain
Rep

Gonna be washing my car this weekend for the first time. Question for you experts about wax - can I apply this after or is it too soon, given the car is a month or so old?

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #64
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gonna be washing my car this weekend for the first time. Question for you experts about wax - can I apply this after or is it too soon, given the car is a month or so old?

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-spray-wax.html
No problem. Paint was baked at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #65
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I don't know who would say that a new car doesn't need to be waxed. That's just crazy. Claying is also essential if you're going to get your wax to lay down properly. Polishing though? Seems a bit much. I suppose there might be some dealer installed swirl marks if you let them wash your car before you pick it up. In that case you may want to have it polished. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though. Paint correction is a skill that takes a very long time to learn. And I doubt you want to practice on your new car.
It's not a matter of the finish not NEEDING to be waxed, but instead is to allow full curing of the paint. Some paints require up to 5 weeks to reach their full hardness. This is less so with modern low VOC paints, but it's still considered a good idea to not put anything on the paint except clean water until it's fully cured (wax can slow down or interfere with the process). Depending on temperature and UV exposure (higher temps.and more sunlight speed up the curing process), 4 or 5 weeks after the paint is applied, is usually enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #66
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wax.html
Appreciate 0