BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
AndyG
Rep
Drives: X3 2005 2.5i Manual

Newbie questions

Hello:

I'm taking possession of an X3 2005 next week and have some questions. I have access to competent labour for this so that's no issue:

1) It has the stock knob climate controls. One of these is available used but no wiring harness is shown in my drawing. Is the front plate depicted all that's needed to install the electronic climate control panel?

2) What's the best iPod/iPhone adaptor/mount? I'm not a big telephone user but I do like listening to my podcasts and lectures. (I also have a standard shift so not much time to fiddle with the phone.) How complicated and costly is the centre column OEM mount? I'm not sure how much of this kit is needed. There's a face button on the steering wheel but no obvious aux connector.

3) I don't think the parking distance buzzer was installed on my vehicle but I'll know more next week. I believe it was licence plate mounted in that era. Anything of which I should be aware for this upgrade as it seems to be straight forward and doesn't seem to require ripping out all of the upholstery to install a harness. Opinions, please?

3) The dimming compass mirror: plug and play or is there more fiddling? NB, I don't need the garage door opening mirror.

4) Where can one get these rear seat and rear window mesh sun screens for my year, please? There are an infinite number of sun shades out there but these seem to be rare birds.

Please and thanks!

Last edited by AndyG; 12-03-2011 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
AndyG
Rep
Drives: X3 2005 2.5i Manual

Hi:

One hundred views and not a single answer. I ought to have called these 'advanced' questions.

In the time since posting last week, I've done additional research and here are some of my findings.

• It is not worth installing the OEM phone connector/bluetooth kit from the period since BMW cannot guarantee that the system will work on any phone made since 2005 or so. Bluetooth changes and BMW's solution is to sell a cigarette lighter mounted transmitter.

Many vehicle operators plug in a media bridge like this using the existing wire harness and then buy the OEM phone bucket to clamp into the arm rest as it's plug and play.
(Lift the arm rest, pull out the container, use a hook to pull out the media harness, plug in the media bridge, add the wires you want, then put the container back. Alternatively, you can go in through the rear cigarette lighter.)

•*The licence mounted parking buzzer works better on the European licence plate holder because they're separated more widely. It's a fairly easy install but not as effective as the bumper-wide units.

• The folding window screens sell for roughly $200 per window or $600 for a complete set. The reason why no-one sells them used is because they are not a big seller.

• The gent at the desk of the BMW parts counter told me that the digital climate control plate needs a totally different wiring harness for installation, which he would happily sell me.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
guywheatley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 3.0L X3

Thanks for posting your findings

I picked up the wife's 2005 X3 Friday. (Was looking at some Chevy products, but made the mistake of test driving the X3 first.)
It will be her commuter vehicle, but also our long haul vehicle. I was looking specifically for the iPhone adapter unit. I appreciate the video link.
Appreciate 0