BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #111
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

[QUOTE=clivem2;9480181]I agree in some respects...but of course when are 99% of these cars driven off road? Never? Sometimes in the UK they are call Chelsea tractors, ie they never get out of Chelsea (London).

The Q5, Q7, Cayanne & X5 don't have these slightly awkward proportions. I think BMW want the X1 to be the least attractive, X3 decent, and X5 best. Good positioning from one of the best marketing OEMs.

Can the X3 really use all the clearance under and into the wings, I doubt it, it's not a Land Rover Defender. I bet the suspension travel isn't that great. [QUOTE]

There are two ways to reduce the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. Either increase the drop of the arch to bring it down to the tyre or use shorter springs to lower the car.

Running shorter springs reduces suspension travel. Having good suspension travel is a necessity for good handling. Audis generally ride lower than BMWs but usually the ride is slated (by the motoring press) as being too stiff and also not handling as well as the comparable BMW model.

What you are referring to above is articulation and is different from travel.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #112
sf-535is
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

'11 x3

New to this forum but not to BMW's.
We ordered a '11 X3 and found out 3 days later that the M-package was available; so we added it right away. Its for my wife and it is said to have left the factory and is currently on its way to out local dealer. Supposedly should be in this weekend so we will see if we can make it since its mother's day.
Carbon Black and all options EXCEPT winter package, HUD and some app package ($250) thats designed around social networks through the BMW system.
Test drive was fun and my wife really enjoyed it. I will try to post up pics when it comes in. Always exciting to get a new car...even if its not mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #113
bluesky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
The US configurator doesn't look correct to me. It says DDC is part of the package but when you look at the updated 360 view it doesn't add the picture with the control for it. It only adds it when you include the DHP package. Based on the description of M-Sport, only Performance control is overlapping with the DHP package, not DDC. If DDC is part of M-Sport that would push me over the top!
I agree. I was in the process of ordering a 35 including DHP (ZDH); then considered adding M-Sport (ZMP). At first I assumed that adding ZMP would "absorb" ZDH given the reference to "Performance Control" (2VG) but in fact this is unclear given the following conflicting info:

On p.44 of the latest USA X3 catalog, the M-Sport description clearly states: "The M Sport Package injects the look and feel of BMW M to an already energetic performer. Variable Sport Steering, Electronic Damping Control, and Performance Control all increase the X3's precise, athletic handling. Dramatic High gloss shadowline..." Although there is no clear picture of the M-Sport console in the catalog, the original BMWNA M-Sport Press Release clearly shows the DHP console control present!

However...

The online configurator lists "Performance Control" (2VG) as part of MSport.
The online configurator shows no MSport console control when ZMP alone is selected.

Given the less-than-100% accuracy of the online configurator, does anyone know if MSport includes DHP? Thanks!
Appreciate 0