BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #45
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

This all goes to show that the difference in individual driving style, road conditions and weather conditions gives wide variations in mpg.

Guess what! This is the reason for this US Government site..

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Yes it is for the US, but it is a useful comparison tool.

Also, but not up to date..

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/mpg.php

and...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fu...ing-scheme.asp

As we all know there are more sites like the above.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-21-2015 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #46
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I'm intrigued by your figures, they show how different usages give wildly differing results. It's hard of course to make comparisons with different cars but even so....for me to achieve 27mpg in my X3 35D I would need to be on the motorway cruising at 90mph+, which nowadays few people do due to cameras. Alternatively I would need to be driving really hard over local roads and probably with a cold engine and in the winter too.

With my manual 335i vert I found local driving to be really thirsty which resulted in 21mpg overall. Motorways were fine, giving mid-30s. Town driving well....mid to high teens were typical. Given the sort of car the 335i was I was probably driving faster more consistently than I do with the X3.
The F25 X3 is more economical than my 2005 535d touring was, by a long shot, the gearbox has probably increased consumptions by some 25+ %.
Plus you have all the efficient dynamics stuff going on.
Even the lci e60 535d was about 20% better economy wise than the pre lci.

When I said the E90 Vert (e92, e93?) was heavy on fuel, I just remember someone on e90post going from a 330d coupe to the vert and dropping from 33mpg down to 25mpg and was surprised, but seemed many vert owners were showing similar low figures, not sure on the weight difference, but that combined with poor air resistance with the roof down must effect it a lot.

On my 8 mile trip into the city each morning the 335i used to be the same as the 535d in the summer and actually be more efficient in the winter, same with the A6, the 3.0tdi used to show 24mpg on the commute and the 3.2fsi used to show 26mpg.

On a steady long run at 75mph the diesels used to creep ahead though.

Fiona had a 120d M-Sport Auto, she only ever used to use that on sub 20 mile journeys, well for 10k or the 12k miles a year and that used to sit at 26.9mpg, no matter how many times you reset the obc it would always end up back there, that was a 2005 car, we then swapped for the 320d Touring MY08 model with the ED features and new software on the gearbox, and that would see 36mpg constantly.
That was actually a very efficient car, I used it for 8 weeks when I sold my M3 CSL and saw some very impressive MPG figures. On a bank holiday weekend in Norfolk I did my 90 mile round trip to our place at the coast and saw over 70mpg as I was sat at 50mph the whole time.

I think there is more difference to be had with gearing and tyre choice than there is with petrol vs diesel.

When my 335i was in for a service and software update I got given a 330i, it was the later 272bhp version, I had it two days and did nearly 500 miles on a single tank, it was showing 38mpg, which I thought was incredible, it was also such a sweet engine, so much so I found the 335i fuckin' boring when I got back in it and sold it a week later and bought another M3.

I have now been almost 2 months without a NA petrol car, I sold my old 2.8i Z3 and to be honest, I have now almost forgotten how nice that is to drive, I am sort of used to diesel again, and don't get me wrong I like my X3 and my ML, it doesn't take long to forget how nice it is to have 7000rpm and a engine noise that makes you tingle, I just need to not drive another petrol again until I am ready to buy one. But with more and more going turbo'd the desire to go back to petrol is becoming less and less for me, they are now like a nicer sounding diesel anyway.
I am hoping Mercedes new efficient straight six NA petrols will get BMW et al sitting up and taking note, putting a 30i back in the range, a proper 30i with a NA 300bhp straight six, if they can combine that with modern efficiency it will once again feel like a luxury product, and that is my issue with it now, the refinement, the feeling of luxury is just not there with diesel in the same way it is with petrol, as much as you sound proof it, as good as the bigger diesels are performance wise on paper, that waft you get from a big petrol and the ability to go from laid back dosile cruiser at under 4000rpm to a sporty exciting sports saloon between 4000-7000rpm is not something to be underestimated. The diesels are good, but they aren't that good.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #47
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Coming back to the discussion, have not been following, but why is BMW replacing the N20 so soon in even after winning engine of the year award? The N55 I get been around for a while.

Comments?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #48
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Coming back to the discussion, have not been following, but why is BMW replacing the N20 so soon in even after winning engine of the year award? The N55 I get been around for a while.

Comments?
I'm surprised about this as well. Having followed the discussion in the 3 series forum over the last 6 months or so, it was pretty much accepted that the new B58 engine was coming in the LCI update to replace the N55 but that the replacement for the N20 was another year or two away. I had always understood that the N20 was a reasonable engine in both 20i and 28i guise and had been well received. So having it replaced after only 2-3 years does have me scratching my head somewhat.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone has any insights into this decision.

Tony
Appreciate 0