BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Is it possible to turn off the Nav screen?

Actually there are a few things I haven't figured out.

1. Is it possible to turn off the screen? Eg. if radio is off and I am not using Nav it would be nice to have the screen blacked out. Anyone thing the screen being constantly on can be bad for the display?

2. Is it possible to have air into the cabin thru the climate system without turning the system on? In older cars one can put system to vent and air would come in even with system off.

3. We can't see the volume level?

Call me crazy but I haven't went thru the owners manual yet. I have A.D.D and reading is something I am not patient at :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

It's fine for the screen to be on all the time. I've had mine on in the IS250 for nearly 4 years, still looks as bright/clear as the day I got it.

Worked perfect on the hottest (108F) and coldest (3F) days I've experienced.

Can't answer your other questions, the X3 is still on order.
      10-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
TigerFan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
Actually there are a few things I haven't figured out.

1. Is it possible to turn off the screen? Eg. if radio is off and I am not using Nav it would be nice to have the screen blacked out. Anyone thing the screen being constantly on can be bad for the display?

2. Is it possible to have air into the cabin thru the climate system without turning the system on? In older cars one can put system to vent and air would come in even with system off.

3. We can't see the volume level?

Call me crazy but I haven't went thru the owners manual yet. I have A.D.D and reading is something I am not patient at :-)
From almost any screen in iDrive, press option, then there is an choice to turn off the screen (sorry, cannot think of exact wording).

The screen is LCD, so should not have 'burn in' issues. It's ok to leave on.

As for the air question, I'm not sure. Seems like the system is open to outdoor air if recirculate is deselected and then if the fan speed is zero (off) you should still get movement if driving. Just a guess.

No volume indicator that I've found.
Appreciate 0