BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #23
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

With the 19", it starts coming together. I still feel, however, that the rear of the M-Sports looks a bit too much like the M-package on the current 3-series Touring, which may end up looking a bit "old" once the brand new 3-series appears in 2012. I think the rear of the "SE" (we don't have that denomination in Sweden) looks more distinctive and fresh.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #24
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Agree very much.
      01-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #25
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Phew, glad isnt just me who had M Sport style reservations!

Sorry for lack of xenons and sun protection glass on the m sport pics, I was loading the SE from a profile and forgot to add details to M Sport
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #26
4sure
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport Package

I wish they would have put mufflers on each side of the rear ratehr than the two on the left.. other than than HOT looking! I want 1!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #27
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
deleting sports suspension is not a guarantee you will not have a lower ride height, have asked noone seems to havea definitive answer so dont wanna risk.
I don't know about SUV, but all other BMW models, Msport version have shorter springs / shocks and thus lower ride height.

I have to agree with the majority. I viewed a number of SE v's Msport in different colours on the UK configurator and the SE looks more butch and wider. The Msport looks a bit 'bling pimp my ride'.

Perhaps in the flesh it might be different. Also 309 wheel cannot be chosen with Msport, and it's my favourite X3 wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #28
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

I'm still have a big dilemma, re. choice of 3.0d SE or 3.0d M Sport.. for reasons I stated before.

The M Sport body kit, makes the X3 look less like a 4x4 IMO - maybe that's a good thing. But mainly it's the way it appears to change the proportions that bothers me.
I'd really like to see in the flesh but that's not going to happen.

Has anyone seen any other pictures (apart from those that you can generated on the configurator) of the X3 M Sport in any other colours apart from white??
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #29
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Same situ as you Marmite but in addition I also don't like the front nearly as much on the M. I am sad, as I fancied getting the M, but its the SE for me - frees up £1k on my spec to spend on the sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #30
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

The front I don't mind, the down turned mouth instead of the upturned and bigger vents - not drastic to me.

On my spec. the M Sport is only about +600 pounds difference.
My SE spec. includes sports seats, X line

If I went for M Sport, I'd get the panelling, the M Sport logos, the gloss finish + variable steering option + 18" wheels..

I think the only one I actually want from that lot, is the 18" wheels..
the variable steering is a maybe, sounds like not every one likes - maybe I would though!

The rest are subjective looks wise - I wish I had some more pictures of M Sport cars in different colours to look at!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep. The M really has not been marketed yet but should be in the new "April" brochures. The Config pictures may not do it justice as it looks too synthetic, almost kit-car like to appeal to me. In black it might not require a tracksuit to drive it and might look more serious in a Khan Range Rover-style. The SE looks like a 4x4. Finally, I really think the X3 is one of those cars that is hard to photograph. In the flesh the proportions look so much better but as stated, wait to see an M and you will maybe get it in time to collect the turkey.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:28 AM   #32
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

The Chicago Show thread shows the first M in silver and I personally am glad I went for the SE as the M in my fav colour (silver) just does not do it. The SE in blackooms much nicer to me
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #33
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
The Chicago Show thread shows the first M in silver and I personally am glad I went for the SE as the M in my fav colour (silver) just does not do it. The SE in blackooms much nicer to me
Agree 100%, not liking the M Sport in silver personally. Looks good in white though.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #34
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

I know it is silly but the thin body coloured area around the front wheel arch just looks much better to me in black. It is just a really disappointing body kit in all but White and black. The fact their limited edition version is in black and most promo photos are in white suggests they feel the same. Shame as I would have liked an M but to me it looks like a bad kit car. Design is such a black art, if you excuse the pun.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #35
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

One counterpoint that I'm thinking - What will the black plastic look like in a few years? I hope it doesn't go to gray.

Previous = '08 535xi Sedan
Previous = '11 335is Cabrio
Current = '12 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #36
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Good point. Is black trim polish easier to apply maybe than colour match stone chips?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #37
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Agree 100%, not liking the M Sport in silver personally. Looks good in white though.
God, this is so hard, based on these 1st Silver M Sport pictures, I was thinking of changing my order to M Sport!

I think look pretty good, one of the main problems I've had with M Sport, is the way I've felt it makes the car look taller, like an enlarged estate and less like an SUV, but.. after looking at some X3 M Sports and non M Sports and thinking about it a bit more.. I think my perception mostly stems from the profile of all the views of the M Sport I'd seen, which are normally as if you're head height is half-way up the body, e.g. on configurator. In reality the body kit (skirts) and way down your eyeline, and so I think the 'taller' effect isn't very obvious..
So, probably I'll go for M Sport in Silver, still considering Space Gray too.
Wish there were some M Sport Space Grey pictures out there!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you order, can you switch from M Sport to SE or vice versa if you see one and change your mind? You probably could switch in the first 3 months of the 6-7 month period to delivery.

Interesting point on profile. It can be deceptive. I was surprised just how much bigger the X3 appears when you're standing next to one, compared to how it appears in photos and videos.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #39
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep. Photos do not do it justice. It looks bigger in the flesh than it appears in photos. Sticking with the SE still here! M too synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #40
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
If you order, can you switch from M Sport to SE or vice versa if you see one and change your mind? You probably could switch in the first 3 months of the 6-7 month period to delivery.

Interesting point on profile. It can be deceptive. I was surprised just how much bigger the X3 appears when you're standing next to one, compared to how it appears in photos and videos.
I ordered my X3 yestrday and am not sure if I want an M sport or not. My dealer doesn't seem to think it would a problem if I want to change form the SE that is on my intitial spec. They have a demo M sport due in July and are suggesting I could wait until I see that to confirm one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #41
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Grrrrr, still don't know whether or not to change my order to M Sport - so annoying there aren't more brochure/spy shots of other colours. Well, Titanium Silver M Sport has made a showing in Chicago and I'm thankful for those pictures.

For my own benefit as much as anyone else's, I'll paste some more M-Sport vs non here.

SE pic. 1st, followed by M Sport

Silver Grey first:

Titanium Silver:

Purely looks wise - which looks best???!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #42
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Firstly thanks for taking the time, esp re titanium silver. And second you know I maybe biased. But for me the SE still looks better proportioned and more like a 4x4 in these images. It is amazing how such a small difference changes the look entirely.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #43
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

I agree, being honest the SE looks the more meaty 4x4.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #44
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Hi,

I think the difference in appearance is quite the same that you get from a normal car, when fitting a lowered aftermarket suspension. As the difference from wheel arch to wheel gets smaller (as it does with the M-pack, at least visually), you need increasingly bigger wheels. A car that looks OK with 17" wheels stock will need 18" when lowered, and so on.

To me, the SE with 19" is still a more powerful and aggressive proposition than the M-pack, even with 19".

Just my 0.02$.

Karl
Appreciate 0