BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
v1kt0rm1ke
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 F25

X3 FSC Code

Hello from Australia! I took delivery of a 2014 X3 with Pro navigation on Fri, but worked out soon after Navigation hasn't been set up as it is asking for a code. Dealer came through this morning with a PDF from BMW Germany with the 20 letter code, however I noticed VIN number towards bottom right does not match my car - what's going on?!? Isn't a FSC code unique to each VIN? I've asked him to check but nothing heard since.

Also, when I first paired my iPhone it suggested I need to download an app to make full use of "xxxx nbt features" - when I clicked through to App Store though nothing showed up - anyone know what app am I supposed to download?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

The code should be linked to your vin. On your case I think you should get them to give you another code if the other one does not activate your navigation. Check out the following site for the apps http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...roduction.html
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
v1kt0rm1ke
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92
The code should be linked to your vin. On your case I think you should get them to give you another code if the other one does not activate your navigation. Check out the following site for the apps http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/bmw...roduction.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bmw.com/c...ction.html</a>
So I'm okay to try the code that has been provided? My concern is it not activating all features (eg 3D maps) or even worse enabling another region maps altogether (eg New Zealand). If that happens, can those be over-ridden or reversed to use the 'correct' FSC? Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm not even a week old in the BMW world! Thanks

Edit: thanks as well for the link on apps - I'll download and see how I go
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
v1kt0rm1ke
Rep

Update: received another FSC, this time one that appeared to have right VIN but it still refuses to work!! Appears to lock me out after a few attempts (where idrive controller doesn't do anything when I click OK), but did allow me another attempt or two after waiting a very long while. Very disappointed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Bring it back to the dealership and demand them to fix it or escalate it to BMW headquaters. If you want to get the code yourself request your BMW dealership refund you contact BMWnavcodes@gmail.com. Hope they fix this.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
v1kt0rm1ke
Rep

Update for benefit of anyone who find themselves in a similar situation - BMW Australia finally resolved it for me and explained that the code wasn't recognized as cars are shipped with EU maps as standard. So technically they'll prompt for a code because they have 'a' map but the code you get from your dealer is localized to your 'final' map country. Implication= you need both the media and a matching FSC code for nav to be activated which they do during pre delivery but given my delivery was handled by an agent (joys of buying from an interstate dealer!), they missed it.

Only challenge I have remaining is the FSC code provided by dealer related to 2013 maps (which meant a couple of failed attempts on part of BMW Australia as they rocked up with 2014 media first time around before concluding it needs the 2013 NBT DVD). Full marks to BMW Australia for effort though - the tech guy rocked up to my home on a Good Friday morning! That service is far above the dealers side of things in comparison..

I will now go back to the dealer for 2014 map as I have bought a 2014 built car. BMW tech was also couldn't work out why that was the case but did suggest dealer will shirk as it'll cost him $$ to order a second code for the same VIN. Alas, BMW Australia customer service may have to come to the rescue again
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
v1kt0rm1ke
Rep

Just for the benefit for anyone else (especially down under) who find themselves in a similar situation, thought I might close this out with the resolution from BMW. After another couple of weeks of to-and-fro since my last post, the BMW tech advised the right (2014) code had been ordered in pre-delivery but the media needs to be updated (as the FSC codes are backward compatible, and they weren't carrying 2014 media when they first came around). They did come around again and updated the media sometime in May so my issue was closed out with up-to-date 2014 maps! Now I wait for the 2015 version..

Just goes to show how little dealerships know! I was lucky that I ended up with someone (directly at BMW) who had a the knowledge and initiative to follow up internally for me and find out that FSC code was actually for a 2014 map!

Edit: in my second last post from 04/18, I mention their previous attempt with 2014 media - I thought I'd just clarify they came around with cic-high media and not NBT (it was a guy from pre-delivery and not the tech who finally solved it for me)
Appreciate 0