BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2023, 11:21 PM   #1
Tommy68
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

X3 2013 N20 misfire on cold start, carbon buildup in the intake and vales

I wanted to share my recent experience with a rough idle and misfire issue on my BMW X3 2013 with the N20 engine.

My car has been exhibiting a rough idle upon cold starts, and on occasion, a check engine light would appear, indicating a misfire on cylinder 4. Although I had recently replaced the spark plugs within the last 15,000km, the issue persisted even after changing the ignition coil for cylinder 4. With a mileage of 77,000km and predominantly engaging in stop-and-go and short trips, it seemed that carbon deposits on the intake and valves could be causing the misfire.

To address this, I decided to perform a treatment for carbon deposits. I utilized CRC intake valve cleaner, as recommended by many automotive enthusiasts. Furthermore, I used a borescope to inspect the condition of the valves after the treatment. The results were quite surprising and varied significantly between the valves. While one valve appeared to be very clean, the other still showed severe carbon buildup. Nonetheless, even with this discrepancy, I did notice an improvement in the car's idle, seem no more misfire, which became noticeably smoother than before.

My question is why the uneven carbon buildup/CRC treatment across the valves?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:06 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Thanks for this. I have the same year x3 and only 10K km more than you, have the same symptoms plus occasional stall. I will have to look further.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy68 View Post
I wanted to share my recent experience with a rough idle and misfire issue on my BMW X3 2013 with the N20 engine.

My car has been exhibiting a rough idle upon cold starts, and on occasion, a check engine light would appear, indicating a misfire on cylinder 4. Although I had recently replaced the spark plugs within the last 15,000km, the issue persisted even after changing the ignition coil for cylinder 4. With a mileage of 77,000km and predominantly engaging in stop-and-go and short trips, it seemed that carbon deposits on the intake and valves could be causing the misfire.

To address this, I decided to perform a treatment for carbon deposits. I utilized CRC intake valve cleaner, as recommended by many automotive enthusiasts. Furthermore, I used a borescope to inspect the condition of the valves after the treatment. The results were quite surprising and varied significantly between the valves. While one valve appeared to be very clean, the other still showed severe carbon buildup. Nonetheless, even with this discrepancy, I did notice an improvement in the car's idle, seem no more misfire, which became noticeably smoother than before.

My question is why the uneven carbon buildup/CRC treatment across the valves?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
not that bad for carbon build up... I seen a lot worse on my VW mk6 GTI's... (Audi 2.0T motor) and I'm sure there are a lot worse out there...