BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
GregOxenham
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (F25)

GregOxenham

I have a UK purchased F25 M with 2Lt D 184HP engine. 2012.

I don't use it much and it has only done 3,000 in the last 12 months. It has 38,000 miles on the clock. It has never let me down but is due for a fluids change. A few days ago my dashboard lit up with brake warnings which included, handbrake not functioning fully, ABS, tyre pressure system sensor not resetting and brake system warnings.

The battery seems OK but I have not checked residual power in it.

I checked the tyre pressures and they were correct. I checked the brake fluid reservoir. Fluid was clear and full to max) Despite the warnings, the car appeared to drive normally and I was in the process of trying to understand how so many warnings had suddenly appeared and where to take it.

Yesterday I had to drive the car 4.5 miles before parking. First drive for a week. On return 2 hours later I backed out of parking space and heard a single soft knock in what I believe was the right rear wheel (drivers side in the UK). When I looked at the dashboard all the warning lights had gone out.

But when I slowly drove 20 meters forward, the Left Front wheel appeared to have gone into anti-lock brake mode with the wheel chug chug chugging. I stopped immediately. Reversing does not seem to bring on this problem but i did not reverse much faster the 3 miles an hour. I can escape the chugging if I let car role forward in Drive without touching pedal. Soon as I touched accelerator pedal it starts chugging and trying to stop. The wheel is reluctant to turn it seems. Max speed possible is about 2mph. The car was put on a jack and the wheel revolved freely with the engine off.

I sensed the rear wheels were either going in reverse or at a different speed to the front which might have been the reason for the chugging sound from the front left wheel.

My roadside repair guy connected his test meter which revealed the following faults. These may not be in the order they appeared.
480686 Intermittent
Wheel Speed Sensor. Drive-off recognition, right rear
0X3F9) receiver DSC. transmitter DME/DDE
0X0A5 Intermittent
No message (torque, crankshaft 1, 0X0A5). receiver DSC. transmitter DME/DDE
__________________________________________________ _____
No Message (accelerator pedal angle 0X0D9) receiver DSC. transmitter DME/DDE
D35557 intermittent
No message (wheel torque powertrain 1. 0X08F). receiver DSC. transmitter DME/DDE
No message (wheel torque, drive 5, 40.3.4) receiver DSC, transmitter DME/DDE
No message (data transmission train drive, 237.1.2) receiver DSC, transmitter DME/DDE
signal (wheel torque, powertrain 1. 0X08F)
invalid transmitter DME/DDE
480AB4 INTERMITTENT
Wheel speed sensor. Plausibility, signal fault,
rear right.
48068C Intermittent
Transfer Box. Temporary Fault,
temperature.

Any clues friends before expensive visit to BMW main dealer.?

Could it be the right rear wheel sensor causing all this. Could there be a sensor gone AWOL on the transfer Box. The most bizarre thing is that the car had only three days before completed it annual Ministry of Transport examination and it went through with just a rear light fault which was repaired. The technician said the rear discs were worn but still within spec and I should consider replacing discs, pads and sensor in about 5,000 miles.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
martinisounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 X3 M Sport

Hi Greg. Can't say i've had this problem before. But on my old e83 x3 i did have something similar happen, it was common for the center diff electric motor to strip it's plastic teeth and all the warning lights would come on. But this is not common for the newer ones. I also had problems with the bearing in the hub going bad and it also caused weird ABS stuff to happen. Not really useful information, but it might be worth pulling out the abs sensor and checking that it isn't covered in grease, that would tell you if the bearing seal has gone out and the bearing has failed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'd check the battery, completely. Maybe change it out if it is 9 years old. Be sure the cables look good as well.

I have an F25 X3 and a 135i as well. I haven't seen it here in the X3 threads, but in the 135i section there are many threads where a dying battery will be the root cause of a sudden group of unrelated failure codes. I imagine our X3's could do the same.

If it were my car, I would rule it out before any other work.
Appreciate 1
Argo20.00