BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Not a problem for me.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

This has never been a problem for me and didn't even think about the issue until I read this thread. Last night while getting in the car, I consciously thought about the belt buckling issue and came to this conclusion: I think the problem arises with how you buckle. Those that have a problem probably grab the female part of the buckle with the right hand and bring down the male part with the other hand (two handed technique). I noticed that what I did was a one handed technique - just bring the buckle down with the right hand and guide it into the buckle and I noticed I do this with all of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
Hmm... its not a problem to me but I notice it. I will have to try the one hander tommorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I don't believe this is a real thread. If your torso is really that inflexible, it's time to start going to the gym.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
I don't believe this is a real thread. If your torso is really that inflexible, it's time to start going to the gym.
I am going to revive this thread because this is a real problem and, frankly, that statement is not at all realistic (I really wanted to say this in a less diplomatic manner).

My wife is short so she typically significantly raises the height of the seat. Raising the seat to anything above full bottom quickly buries the already too low buckle between the seat and the console (we have those wonderful sport seats). She also has limited use of her hands because of arthritis. As a result she has a very difficult time buckling her belt and even I have had a hard time, from the drivers seat, helping her get the buckle engaged. No one would ever observe us and have any reason to suggest we need more gym time so your comment above is offensive. I have certainly become used to buckling the belt and have no real problem but it certainly is not as easy as it should be, especially this time of year in northern NY when constrained in heavy coats and frequently gloves.

I am curious if BMW has a seat belt buckle/tensioner that is longer and extends a little higher. I am going to call BMW Monday and at least ask. I am reluctant to use a simple belt extension for the passenger seat because it will bypass the audible belt not engaged alarm and it then gets more difficult to force a passenger to buckle up. The buckle also automatically tensions the belt in the event of an accident and I do not know if the extended buckle will compromise this function.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
I don't have that issue with sport seats, but there are seat belt receptacle extenders available.

For example: http://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/...belt-extender/
      12-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
Holeinoneboy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

Go try buckling a seat in an Audi. Totally easier. Taller part and better position.

2014 Q5 TDI - S Line Glacier White Sports Select / Tiptronic Technik / B & O / Black Interior / 20" 5 Arm Wheels /
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
I don't have that issue with sport seats, but there are seat belt receptacle extenders available.

For example: http://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/...belt-extender/
As I said in the post just above your post:

"I am reluctant to use a simple belt extension for the passenger seat because it will bypass the audible belt not engaged alarm and it then gets more difficult to force a passenger to buckle up. The buckle also automatically tensions the belt in the event of an accident and I do not know if the extended buckle will compromise this function."

It is not uncommon for a passenger to only buckle up when the annoying alarm forces the issue. It is a lot easier to get a passenger to buckle up due to the alarm than having to make san issue that I am not driving anywhere unless they put their belt on. People certainly have the right to decide for themselves to wear a belt but I also have a right, when in my car, to force the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
you can:

a) remind your passengers to buckle up
b) have the extender attached to the belt vs. having it permanently sitting in the factory receptacle.