BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2024, 09:37 PM   #1
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Programming a Different Key Fob

I see that key fobs will have a different MHz along with some other info. Is it possible to get a different board with different "specs", and have it programmed still? Essentially getting an entire new key with possibly different MHz or HUF code?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:40 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The remote fobs have a 128-bit encrypted key that is specific to your BMW and is tied to its VIN. There are other modules that communicate with your remote fob just to start the vehicle...and if the encryption doesn't match...then the car won't start.

There is also encryption used now with comfort access (CA) and the multiple aerials around the vehicle that sends & picks up signals to read your remote fob when it is near the vehicle.

The reason why other BMW owners carrying their fobs can't lock/unlock your vehicle is due to this encryption.

If you get a remote with a "different board & different spec"...then all the other components that communicates with your remote fob only...will need to have the same specs...so be prepared to change all of them along with your new remote so that you can start your BMW as well as lock/unlock it.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:16 PM   #3
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Definitely not worth the time, trouble, or money to change anything there then!
Appreciate 0