BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
martine_wedlake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Sport Program (transmission) Specs

Hey. I did a search, but came up empty -- might be poor choice of search terms. If so, I appologise...

I took delivery of a new X3 just a week ago (for my wife, so I get limited driving opportunities). I was out and about with it and thought I'd put it into manual mode at a stoplight for a bit of fun so slid the shifter over to the left. Light turns green and off I go, but I was surprised when the car shifts on it's own around 3k RPM before I could pull the lever back to upshift. This is how I'm introduced to the sport program (or DS) mode. Once back home I look up the feature and see that I have to manually shift at least once before the car will move to manual shift mode.

OK, so far so good... but it's got me a bit curious. Just what does DS mode really do? The manual is especially vague -- "This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style" -- I've noticed that it seems to keep the RPMs about 1k higher than before and shifts higher. Anything else change? How about the throttle map?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine_wedlake View Post
Hey. I did a search, but came up empty -- might be poor choice of search terms. If so, I appologise...

I took delivery of a new X3 just a week ago (for my wife, so I get limited driving opportunities). I was out and about with it and thought I'd put it into manual mode at a stoplight for a bit of fun so slid the shifter over to the left. Light turns green and off I go, but I was surprised when the car shifts on it's own around 3k RPM before I could pull the lever back to upshift. This is how I'm introduced to the sport program (or DS) mode. Once back home I look up the feature and see that I have to manually shift at least once before the car will move to manual shift mode.

OK, so far so good... but it's got me a bit curious. Just what does DS mode really do? The manual is especially vague -- "This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style" -- I've noticed that it seems to keep the RPMs about 1k higher than before and shifts higher. Anything else change? How about the throttle map?
28i or 35i? And if 35i, do you have the Sport Package?

I'm not sure about the 28i, but from what I've read switching in M will not put the car into "sport" mode. On my car (35i with SAP and DHP) when I slip the selector to the left the car will rev a little higher but still change gears automatically. If I use the paddles or selector to change the gears, the transmission will stay in the selected gear until it reaches a safety.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post

I'm not sure about the 28i, but from what I've read switching in M will not put the car into "sport" mode. On my car (35i with SAP and DHP) when I slip the selector to the left the car will rev a little higher but still change gears automatically. If I use the paddles or selector to change the gears, the transmission will stay in the selected gear until it reaches a safety.
I have noticed the same thing. Moving the selector to the left does not put it into sport mode. You need to press the up arrow on the DHP once for sport and then again for sport+ (35i w/ SAP and DHP). That being said, I didn't notice a change in the rpms or throttle response between drive on the selector and it shifted to the left. I will have to check that out. There is a huge change between selector left (normal), sport and then again in sport+

kozzi

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

I'm going to the dealership for the Experience the Difference event today. Maybe someone there will have better answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
martine_wedlake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Quote:

I've got a 28i without Sport Package. My behaviour matches yours -- while in DS mode, it's still acting like an automatic but revs a bit higher. I'm just wondering if there are other things that change beyond the gear shift point.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine_wedlake View Post
Quote:

I've got a 28i without Sport Package. My behaviour matches yours -- while in DS mode, it's still acting like an automatic but revs a bit higher. I'm just wondering if there are other things that change beyond the gear shift point.
Not if you don't have DHP. Only the rev points change. I'll try to find out how much they change.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

At what rpm does the car automatically change gears? And what do you mean by "will stay in the selected gear until it reaches a safety?"

I don't have the DHP but I do have the SAP optioned on a 35i. One my main factors for the SAP was for the paddle shifters and will most likely be using them more often than not. I've only ever driven a test demo for about 15 mins at a dealership so I don't have much experience with the car but I did notice that it shifted by itself fairly quickly.

For comparison my last car (MB C300) only had a SMT and had two modes, casual and sport. When shifting manually in casual the car would rev to around 3-4k before shifting manually and 5k or higher when in sport.

How does the 35i work w/o the DHP? Are you able to change the rev limit w/o all the sport or sport+ modes that are included in DHP?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Not if you don't have DHP. Only the rev points change. I'll try to find out how much they change.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but perhaps this will answer my questions. I'm not too worried about the damper or split wheel power that comes with the DHP but I am concerned about rev points. Do you happen to know at what rpm the car automatically changes and if you're able to change the rev points in a 35i with SAP and no DHP?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing but perhaps this will answer my questions. I'm not too worried about the damper or split wheel power that comes with the DHP but I am concerned about rev points. Do you happen to know at what rpm the car automatically changes and if you're able to change the rev points in a 35i with SAP and no DHP?
I don't think you can change the rpms without the DHP package. There is a huge change in response from normal to sport to sport+. When I get a chance, I will take a look and record the changes.

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Just adding a data point, FWIW. I have the DHP and sport package. When I move the lever to the left, it changes to sport mode, and is in 7th (not 8th) gear. Shift points change, but I can't say (yet) if its the same as when putting the DHP in Sport mode. Touch the paddles once, and you're in mostly manual mode. I say mostly, because if you're in M7, and you get off the freeway/motorway to a stop, you find yourself in M2 (which isn't a bad thing). I think that's part of the "safety" the other poster was referring to. I don't believe (haven't tested, too new) you get any "assisted" upshifts, you just find that your go pedal isn't effective anymore.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If you don't shift in a reasonable time it will revert to "D" mode and select the right gear.
      03-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Moving the shifter to the left puts the transmission only in Sport mode (thereby different than using the DHP buttons that can do more). Moving it left does not put it in manual mode. Using the paddles or tapping the shifter to select a shift puts it in manual mode. You can also enter manual mode by using the paddles with the shifter in the normal drive position.

So, you can configure DHP Sport to change only chassis. Then use DHP to get the chassis to sport while keeping transmission normal to keep high gear available. The bop the shifter left to get the transmission in Sport when you want.
      03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Never thought about shifting the selector left only changes the transmission. Under the iDrive info and using the DHP...it is still labeled as normal mode. It says nothing about the transmission being changed. It's not really an issue for me either way...I enjoy driving in sport+ for city A to B driving and normal on long drives.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0