BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermagoo View Post
Has nothing to do with laziness. I live in Manhattan and garage my car. When they bring my car up, I'm expected to exit rather quickly. However, since it seems it's relatively easy to take a pic of the shocks, i'll do so the next time I get my car. I thought I had to remove the wheels.
Thanks

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
some day i may look at mine, although i use sport mode in chassis only all the time, i know i feel it in the suspension and steering minute I turn on sport mode so I know DHP is there.

still wishing for a way to make sport mode the default.

so one question i've never gotten answered, what if one orders an X3 without SAP or MSport but with DHP? - or DHP on a 28i which doesn't have sport mode transmission... The rocker switch comes w/ the sport mode transmission in either sport package on a 35i. without the rocker, but with DHP, is the tighter steering control and damper control on always, or is there a way to control it from idrive?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:19 AM   #25
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

In the UK you have to add Performance Control (the rocker switch £130) as a prerequisite to Variable Damper Control (£930). I know because that is what I have done. So my 3.0d SE will not have sport steering (some UK reviewers don't like it) but will have adjustment to throttle response, gear shifts and dampers as well as DSC by pressing the rocker switch to change modes.

I don't have sport suspension either. I thought there might not be much point with adjustable dampers fitted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

off my rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoyak View Post
In the UK you have to add Performance Control (the rocker switch £130) as a prerequisite to Variable Damper Control (£930). I know because that is what I have done. So my 3.0d SE will not have sport steering (some UK reviewers don't like it) but will have adjustment to throttle response, gear shifts and dampers as well as DSC by pressing the rocker switch to change modes.

I don't have sport suspension either. I thought there might not be much point with adjustable dampers fitted.
it's not performance control that gives you dynamic drive control (aka the rocker switch). It's variable sports steering or variable damping control. I know as i have no rocker and yet I do have performance control (it's always switched on and you can't switch it off)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
so one question i've never gotten answered, what if one orders an X3 without SAP or MSport but with DHP? - or DHP on a 28i which doesn't have sport mode transmission... The rocker switch comes w/ the sport mode transmission in either sport package on a 35i. without the rocker, but with DHP, is the tighter steering control and damper control on always, or is there a way to control it from idrive?
If you order DHP you'll always get a rocker switch. You can't have variable damping or variable steering without also having dynamic drive control (the normal/sport rocker switch)

All automatics have a sport mode transmission (engaged by pushing the lever to the left) but this is different to the dynamic drive control normal/sport mode transmission changes

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
If you order DHP you'll always get a rocker switch. You can't have variable damping or variable steering without also having dynamic drive control (the normal/sport rocker switch)

All automatics have a sport mode transmission (engaged by pushing the lever to the left) but this is different to the dynamic drive control normal/sport mode transmission changes
Just checked my spec/order. It is Performance Control (2VG) that you have to order with VDC (223). To confuse matters further the UK brochure calls it "Drive Performance Control" but the picture is of the rocker switch. So I infer that Performance Control = rocker switch

If you have an MSport you get Performance Control as standard (for the steering and transmission).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoyak View Post
Just checked my spec/order. It is Performance Control (2VG) that you have to order with VDC (223). To confuse matters further the UK brochure calls it "Drive Performance Control" but the picture is of the rocker switch. So I infer that Performance Control = rocker switch

If you have an MSport you get Performance Control as standard (for the steering and transmission).
Performance Control (S02VG) is only the automatic adjustment of power to each wheel individually when cornering and it's always on. The reason you get the rocker switch with an MSport is purely down to the inclusion of the variable sports steering option

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Something seems to have changed with the UK 2012 specs.

X3 April 2011 Brochure - p57 - under picture of Rocker Switches'
Dynamic Drive Control with 3 mode settings......Choose between the settings or change accelerator and power steering. (Im conjuction with VDC or 8 speed auto)

X3 October 2011 Brochure - 57 - under picture of rocker switches'
Drive Performance Control with 3 modes........enables adjustment of steering, throttle, engine response & suspension. Included with VDC or Sport auto transmission.

ie Drive Dynamic Control has been renamed Drive Performance Control and the new brochure seems to be saying that you will only get the rocker switch with a 35D with Sport auto or by ordering VDC.

Or is this BMW UK playing games?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You'd also have to get it with VSS or you'd have no way to change the steering tightness. All that's changed is the introduction of the 35d which allows you to get it without VSS I assume

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #32
mistermagoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i, 2015 X5 x35i

Finally got to utilize the car today. Said I would take a pic of one of the shocks, and I've attached the pic here. Not sure what I was pointing at, or if this pic is of any use, but here you go...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #33
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thanks for attempting. It appears you do not have DHP, although it's possible the cylinder is obscured by the suspension arms. What you need to look for is what Lotus7 circled. It's that cylinder sticking out of the shock body. No cylinder, no DHP.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0