BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Optimal build date for new car?

Reading some of the threads I get the feeling there is some sort of switch over date on builds …

… but I am not sure which country that applies to or what the significance is (I am in the UK).

I got the feeling that an April build might have some benefits to one built in March, is that correct?

I haven’t been given any dates other than probably "a first week in May delivery" …

… the dealer has said they are going to ask for “pull forward” to try and get it to me sooner.

Obviously I would like it ASAP, but not if there is a benefit to waiting for a “magic” date …

Any clues?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

April on the the 28i will get the n20 turbo 4... no change (engine wise) for the diesel you ordered.

from https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2244

Quote:
Driving Experience Control including ECO PRO Mode as standard.
Moreover, in future, all BMW X3 model variants will be equipped as standard with the Driving Experience Control feature. At the press of a button located on the centre console next to the gearshift lever or gear selector lever respectively, the driver is able to vary the vehicle setting. There is a choice between the “COMFORT”, “SPORT” and “SPORT+” modes as well as the ECO PRO mode. Driving Experience Control has an effect on the settings of the stability control function DSC, the characteristic maps of the accelerator pedal and Servotronic power steering and, depending on how the vehicle is equipped, also the gearshift characteristics of the automatic transmission and the control map of the Dynamic Damper Control system.

In the ECO PRO mode, an exceptionally economical driving style is supported thanks to corresponding adjustment of the drive control and efficiency-optimised operation of the heating and air-conditioning unit, the exterior mirror heater and the seat heater. Specific visual displays in the instrument cluster inform the driver about the additional range obtained as a result.

Extended range of BMW ConnectedDrive features.
In the spring of 2012, the choice of BMW ConnectedDrive driver assistance systems available for the BMW X3 is also to be extended yet again. The Speed Limit Info System including the No Overtaking Display is now available as a new option. The system informs the driver by means of corresponding symbols in the instrument cluster about identified speed limits and no overtaking signs at the roadside or on overhead sign gantries identified by its camera.

In addition, the BMW X3 is now also available with the Lane Departure Warning function including Collision Warning. This system monitors road markings by means of a camera mounted on the base of the rear view mirror and helps to avoid unintentional course deviations. If the vehicle leaves the lane before the direction indicator has been activated, the steering wheel begins to vibrate. In addition, the camera detects other vehicles ahead and, if necessary, a two-stage alarm function comprising visual and acoustic signals is activated to avoid collisions.
You may want to talk to the dealer about the above as a confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Will speak tomorrow (today) and update on my findings ...

Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I spoke to the dealer … and it looks like my car is likely to be a March build for beginning of May delivery … but that may be brought forwards and I will find out in a week or so.

He confirmed that from April the spec options change slightly …

So, my dilemma is, do I ask for him to push it back (shock horror) so that it’s an April build and I can then have the “ECO PRO Mode” (is that relevant and any use having chosen a 35d …) and also the option for the “Speed Limit Info System” (Which I quite like the idea of though obviously haven't seen).

… I would probably give “Lane Departure Warning” a miss though.

I am guessing it will add 4 weeks to my current delivery … (but obviously more if I am lucky enough to get an earlier slot with a pre-April birth).

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Key here is the things that they change that they don't tell you about rather than those that they do.

E.g. Revised parts to fix trim/noise/reliability issues.

I would always go for the latest model year car if I could do so without major inconvenience. Mine unfortunately is being built 2 weeks before the changeover and having waited 6 months I don't want to risk losing that slot by requesting a deferal.