BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

+1
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #46
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

See:http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515468
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #47
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Worst ride ue to run flats? Most, not all, haven't enough of a clue about their car to tell the difference and never drive it to the point that it matters. Fussing about the quality of run flats on an SUV? Give it a rest and get real.
      04-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #48
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
Oh the old fanboy card. Touché.
When I look at the sigs of our two little detractors it seems like we’ve got a couple of X5 owners that are coming here to bash the X3.

I never understood the juvenile need to go trolling like that, but it happens on all the forums.

Kind of sad, but if this sort of behavior makes them less likely to kick their dog maybe it’s for the best.

What these people say won’t make any difference in my opinion of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #49
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
When I look at the sigs of our two little detractors it seems like we’ve got a couple of X5 owners that are coming here to bash the X3.
Well tbh many posters on here own or have owned cars of different make and model, a valid point is a valid point. I don't think the degradation of quality is as bad as the other poster said, he basically make it sound like a slippery slope and that we should boycott the X3. IMO there's not much that buyers can do in order to have BMW use better materials in their cars. Competition with other car manufacturers is the only way to have a car company use better materials in their cars as I'm sure many people who buy BMWs aren't buying it because it's "the ultimate driving machine" but instead for the blue and white propeller.

I understand the X3 is still a new car and it will take some time for them to work out the kinks and that people who are satisfied with the car most likely won't be posting on here. However there's practically a new thread posted on here every week about some QC issue, a simple search reveals problems ranging from mismatched colors to unbolted back seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #50
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I've seriously had enough.

You X5'ers come here thinking you're all fancy, like you're smarter buyers because you somehow justified spending 20% more on a car whose length and width YOU DON'T EVEN NEED. It's just a fucking car, people. Let's FREAK OUT ABOUT QUALITY CONTROL BECAUSE WE'RE BEING FORCED TO BUY A REALLY FANTASTIC CAR....wait a minute. Nobody's forcing you, and shame on you for looking down upon a car just because IT COSTS LESS. I mean honestly, fuck that.

You X5 owners...if you didn't buy the 50i, well, you should probably just kill yourself now, because you know just as well as I do that whenever you see one, your heart sinks because you tried to justify your not being able to afford the bigger engine by saying you didn't need it, but you know in your heart you wish you could have it. Now does that sound like something you want to be told, ESPECIALLY if it's not true?

Seriously if you're not buying the car, don't go and spread your discontentedness with people who have ordered it or who already own it. I love my car...although I don't have it now as it's being serviced for a problem to which every single 2010--> BMW is susceptible. Don't ruin it because you're mad that your E70 or E71 just isn't up to date, and don't whine about how you like the 520d better. If you want to tell people how you feel about the 520d in comparison to ANY car, then go to the 5 series forum, because I've run out of patience for the lot of you.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 04-13-2011 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #51
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
I was quite impressed at the build quality. Yeah the door bottoms are hard plastic, but they are going to get a right kicking considering its an 4x4 SAV so I can understand the reasoning. The rest of the car is easily up there with the 3 series.
True, it's similar to the 3 series build quality... However, in some of the introduction videos of the x3 the BMW folks were saying it had the new technologies of the 5 series, better quality materials, wood trims, etc...
Following those presentations, and knowing the price of the X3 is almost exact the same as the 5 series here in Belgium I was expecting something more 5 series like in matter of build quality.

It's funny to see how people tempt to take a comment, that i tried to bring in objective way, so personally, like I'm attacking their baby...
I never said the X3 was a bad car, it's just not the build quality I was expecting from a premium brand and it's deffinately miles away of the 5 series.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #52
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
However there's practically a new thread posted on here every week about some QC issue, a simple search reveals problems ranging from mismatched colors to unbolted back seats.
This is nonsense. Yes, there are some threads about QC issues but this is a popular forum with new X3 owners. People aren't as likely to come on here and say their new X3 is wonderful as they are to complain or to try to find out information on an issue. That is the nature of forums.

If you consider the total number of X3s already owned against the tiny number of significant issues reported on this forum, you will see that contrary to what you've said there are very few problems that people should be concerned about. I'm very happy that there aren't many more issues, particularly as this is a brand new model, and hope this doesn't change.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #53
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
True, it's similar to the 3 series build quality... However, in some of the introduction videos of the x3 the BMW folks were saying it had the new technologies of the 5 series, better quality materials, wood trims, etc...
Following those presentations, and knowing the price of the X3 is almost exact the same as the 5 series here in Belgium I was expecting something more 5 series like in matter of build quality.

It's funny to see how people tempt to take a comment, that i tried to bring in objective way, so personally, like I'm attacking their baby...
I never said the X3 was a bad car, it's just not the build quality I was expecting from a premium brand and it's deffinately miles away of the 5 series.

Just my 2 cents
Your tone was palpable, tasting of bitterness, disrespect, and ill-regard for sensitivity towards those whose opinions turned into negative $50,000. It sucks when you like something and someone tells you it isn't good enough for them.

It's like if you had elective plastic surgery, and I told you that your nose job looked horrible, but oh yeah you can't do anything about it now, can you?

Step outside of yourself, and evaluate your audience before you open that overly self-entitled mouth of yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #54
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post

Just my 2 cents
Buy the 5 if thats what you like, I like the 5 too, the X3 more practical and already accepted the CHP on the bottom parts of the doors which is the ONLY dissapointment on materials on the car. All the other so called competitors of the X3 have CHP in certain places thats the norm in that segment/price point.

See my previous thread on this topic which we beat down to death.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...&highlight=chp
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #55
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This is nonsense. Yes, there are some threads about QC issues but this is a popular forum with new X3 owners. People aren't as likely to come on here and say their new X3 is wonderful as they are to complain or to try to find out information on an issue. That is the nature of forums.

If you consider the total number of X3s already owned against the tiny number of significant issues reported on this forum, you will see that contrary to what you've said there are very few problems that people should be concerned about. I'm very happy that there aren't many more issues, particularly as this is a brand new model, and hope this doesn't change.
Exactly...and if you look in the 5-series forums, there are probably more threads discussing issues than the ones here. The original poster loves to talk about the 5'ers interior build quality, but probably missed this thread (among others):

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509518
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #56
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Now now... let's not go bashing big sister X5. Each for its purpose and each to its buyer... I'm thinking about having both...
I agree 100%.

Looking at this pragmatically the difference between the two is space. We're old, our kids are all grown, and almost never have anybody in our back seat. We bought the X3 because it's all we needed and it gets better gas mileage. If we needed the space or towing capacity of the X5 we would have gotten that.

I see little difference between the quality of any BMW. The dash material looks the same, the wood all looks just as good and they use nothing but the best hides. To me the difference is size and features.... not quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #57
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
I agree 100%.

Looking at this pragmatically the difference between the two is space. We're old, our kids are all grown, and almost never have anybody in our back seat. We bought the X3 because it's all we needed and it gets better gas mileage. If we needed the space or towing capacity of the X5 we would have gotten that.

I see little difference between the quality of any BMW. The dash material looks the same, the wood all looks just as good and they use nothing but the best hides. To me the difference is size and features.... not quality.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #58
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

I don´t see the dramatic differences stated here among the X3 and X5, at least not enough to justify shelling out 20% more for the later.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #59
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
I agree 100%.

Agree with this. I am also older, and don't need the extra room and expense of the X5. I see little difference in interior materials between BMW models. Tempest in a teapot, methinks.
      04-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #60
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I agree.
Both are fine cars that fill a different niche. With the X5 you give a bit on handling to get more room.

You may be able to nit-pick a small piece of trim or whatnot, but in my eyes, I don’t see a big “quality” or “luxury” difference. They’re in about the same class in my opinion, and I think highly of both.

Just get what suits your needs and desires and be happy with what you bought.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #61
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
...people who are satisfied with the car most likely won't be posting on here. However there's practically a new thread posted on here every week about some QC issue, a simple search reveals problems ranging from mismatched colors to unbolted back seats.
If you had taken the time to read the previous sentence before the one you quoted you'd see that I've said that people who are happy with the car most likely won't be posting on a forum; hell they're probably out having too much fun with their new car.

I'm not trying to bash the X3 in any way and I'm sorry if anyone took offense to my last post. Buying a new generation MY car I'm sure all of us knew what we were walking into and to demean someone's investment on a forum after having buyer's remorse isn't the way to go.

I'm just a little surprised how the QC for the X3 is, I understand that it's a new car and they've been only making them since around Nov of last year but the plant has been around since 1992 and they've been making the X5 since 99, the new X3 can't be that radically different from the previous cars they've been making, can it?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #62
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I agree.
Both are fine cars that fill a different niche. With the X5 you give a bit on handling to get more room.

You may be able to nit-pick a small piece of trim or whatnot, but in my eyes, I don’t see a big “quality” or “luxury” difference. They’re in about the same class in my opinion, and I think highly of both.

Just get what suits your needs and desires and be happy with what you bought.
+1

Great point, they're both nice cars and suits different needs.

It's easy for a manufacturer to up the trim for their cars, all they need to do is use better materials but it's very difficult for them to balance a comfortable ride with sporty handling as in the case of the X3.
Appreciate 0