BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Brake Force Lights

I've had my 2014 X3 a few weeks and I really like it. One strange thing I've found is brake force rear lights. It seems that if you have a panic stop where you really hit the brakes hard extra brake lights come on in the tail gate. I'd rather see them work all the time. When I first got the car I thought the lights were not working. I'd alter them to work all the time if I could.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX3 View Post
I've had my 2014 X3 a few weeks and I really like it. One strange thing I've found is brake force rear lights. It seems that if you have a panic stop where you really hit the brakes hard extra brake lights come on in the tail gate. I'd rather see them work all the time. When I first got the car I thought the lights were not working. I'd alter them to work all the time if I could.
You need to search the forum, because this has been discussed many times. I am not sure what wording you would use in the search, so I cannot help you. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've found info about the lights on the search engine. It looks like the inner lights are used for European rear fog lights and have a different light switch on the dash to turn them on. I'd like to find that switch and am having no luck. Seems others have made the switch. A sight I went to say it is no longer available. Anyone help me out?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Using Gooooogle search for BMW Brake force rear lights, I found....
Quote:
BMW will incorporate a new Brake Force Display on most models from May 2004 - Brake Force Display is a simple yet effective way of communicating to following traffic that the BMW in front is stopping quickly, providing extra advance warning of a potential road hazard ahead.

This should help lessen the need for harsh emergency braking by following drivers who now have extra reaction time. Brake Force Display warning has been fitted to BMW vehicles sold in the United States for some time, and has just gained approval by regulatory bodies in Europe and Australia.

Brake Force Display works by increasing the intensity of the brake lights in the rear lamp clusters by expanding the number of illuminated LEDs under heavy braking.

The extra lighting is triggered after the anti-lock brake sensors detect a rate of deceleration in excess of 5 m/second. As an example of the force of the braking, at 5 m/second, a briefcase placed on a car seat would accelerate off the seat onto the floor.

The system reacts within a few tenths of a second to increase the intensity of the stoplight illumination, projecting a highly visible warning beacon to following traffic.
In my view by wanting to change the functionality (on every time you brake) you are defeating the very reason for them........ Safety.
Anyway, you would never see them......only the people behind would, so what is the point?

Last edited by Peter_R; 12-03-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
Commerce278.00
JSY574.50
      12-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I talked to a BMW tech today about the brake force lights. I asked him if there was a way to change them to regular brake lights. He told me it would throw a code and could not be done. It would mess up the computer. I had a feeling that would be the case but now I know. Not the end of the world but a shame cause it would look much better if they functioned as regular brake lights, not to mention tail lights AND brake lights. There are many other cars that have the lights in the tail gate that work that way and they look great. He said I could change them to rear fog lights by getting the switch like the European cars have but I'll probably leave them as they are. Oh well, I still love the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Cajun X3
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M Sport

If you want the European headlight switch to activate the rear fogs, ECS Tuning can get them. They are the cheapest, but you may have to wait a while. It's completely plug and play, no coding required. I did them on my vehicle and love them.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...319192744~oeb/

If you can't wait, there was an eBay seller in Pennsylvania that usually stocks it, but his price is $199, last I checked, plus shipping. Just search this part number: 61319192744.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
g4gav
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3 drive 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun X3 View Post
If you want the European headlight switch to activate the rear fogs, ECS Tuning can get them. They are the cheapest, but you may have to wait a while. It's completely plug and play, no coding required. I did them on my vehicle and love them.

If you can't wait, there was an eBay seller in Pennsylvania that usually stocks it, but his price is $199, last I checked, plus shipping. Just search this part number: 61319192744.
have a look on uk eBay, switch going for £40! and under...if you can get them to post which I can't see being that much then you really got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Too late. I just had to order the switch after seeing your post (Cajun X3).
Supposed to ship on Feb. 7. Their sight had info on how to change the switch. Looks like an easy swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I have '16 X3 28d xdrive and the PA ebay vendor (after getting my VIN) sold me part # 6131985857 which works fine. Now have rear fogs and all original functions. However, the part comes with two thumb wheels (the standard one for dimming instrument lighting and a second one numbered from 1 to 3). Vendor claims the is the correct switch for my car and said second wheel was intended for adjusting adaptive headlights in some BMW's. My X3 has just standard halogen headlights.

FWIW, I tried the same switch in my '16 535d xdrive sedan with adaptive xenon headlights and it seems to works well - have rear fog lights and all other functions. However, the second (mystery) thumb wheel did not seem to affect the adaptive headlights.

Given that this part number is never mentioned and it works in two different '16 BMWs, I am wondering why there are so many part numbers out there just to control the car's lighting. Physically, the three switches are alike (except for rear fog light button) and all have three pins in plug socket. i recognize some are suppose to work with rain detecting wipers as well as halogen, xenon and LED headlights why are there so many part numbers out there for a simple switch assembly?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
However, the part comes with two thumb wheels (the standard one for dimming instrument lighting and a second one numbered from 1 to 3). Vendor claims the is the correct switch for my car and said second wheel was intended for adjusting adaptive headlights in some BMW's. My X3 has just standard halogen headlights.

FWIW, I tried the same switch in my '16 535d xdrive sedan with adaptive xenon headlights and it seems to works well - have rear fog lights and all other functions. However, the second (mystery) thumb wheel did not seem to affect the adaptive headlights.
The thumb wheel you are talking about does not affect adaptive headlights. Xenon Headlights (adaptive) automatically self level when the lights are switched on.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Yes, but that was the vendor's explanation, not mine. In fact, subsequent reading indicates that countries like France require a way to level out headlights when car is loaded. (For example, the old Citroen 2CV has a mechanical link for this.) Presumably, for cars sold in these markets, the second wheel permits non-adaptive headlights to be manual adjusted. Of course, these headlights are motorized, but not to the degree of adaptive headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Presumably, for cars sold in these markets, the second wheel permits non-adaptive headlights to be manual adjusted. Of course, these headlights are motorized, but not to the degree of adaptive headlights.
Yes. My wife's little city car (Suzuki Celerio) has adjustable headlights for load. Two tins of beans in the boot and you have to adjust them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
I talked to a BMW tech today about the brake force lights. I asked him if there was a way to change them to regular brake lights. He told me it would throw a code and could not be done. It would mess up the computer. I had a feeling that would be the case but now I know. Not the end of the world but a shame cause it would look much better if they functioned as regular brake lights, not to mention tail lights AND brake lights. There are many other cars that have the lights in the tail gate that work that way and they look great. He said I could change them to rear fog lights by getting the switch like the European cars have but I'll probably leave them as they are. Oh well, I still love the car.
If you absolutely insist on getting them to turn on then you could look into getting LED bulbs for the main brake lamps. It would trigger an undervoltage and turn on the rear fogs as a backup. That being said, it's very well possible that the main lamps won't light up at all
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Not sure an under voltage in one's brake lights would force the fog lamps to light. As I understand it, the rear fogs are on a separate circuit controlled by the headlight switch. However, for the ones sold in North America everything is in place, but the switch is missing the fog's on/off control. Adding the Euro headlight assembly adds this button. By your logic won't this also cause the front fog lamps to light as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #15
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

There are two separate push buttons one above the other on the left hand side of my (UK) switch assembly. One is for front fog lights and the other one is for rear fog lights.

Last edited by Peter_R; 01-04-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Yes, I've installed a similar assembly on mine and have rear fog lights. However, I don't understand how installing led brake lights (per pokerface) would cause the rear fogs to light upon braking. The rear fog lights are on a separate circuit controlled by the lower button (if you live in some countries like the UK). In North America they remain inactive and do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Cajun X3
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Too late. I just had to order the switch after seeing your post (Cajun X3).
Supposed to ship on Feb. 7. Their sight had info on how to change the switch. Looks like an easy swap.
It took about 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure I found a video or something on the internet that walks you through it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Sorry for the necro bump but I was playing around with Bimmercode recently and saw an option to change the Brake Force Lights from expanded area (rear fogs) to European style flashing.

I set mine up to flash 5 times and can also choose 1 of 3 threshold points when the flashing activates based on how hard you're braking.

Was playing in the snow recently and can see the flashing from the reflection of the lights off the snow.

One caveat though, you are choosing either the solid expanded surface (rear fogs) vs just the outboard lights + center high mounted lights flashing.
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      02-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #19
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 n20

the OP is talking about the inner brake lights in the f25 without the lighting package(halogen headlights, no xenons), and not the rear fog lights which are the small thin red lamps, correct? At night when the lights are switched on the tail lights are literally just a small apple sized round red light on each end. So would this euro switch actually get the inner brake lights to work or is it just for the rear fog lights to turn on?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #20
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

That would just activate the rear fogs ..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #21
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Been a while since I replied. I installed the European switch and it was very easy to do. There is a light on the dash letting you know they are on. I turn on the rear "fog Lights" when it is foggy or is raining. I think it was the right thing to do. It's too bad I had to spend $150 to get the switch but don't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #22
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Been a while since I replied. I installed the European switch and it was very easy to do. There is a light on the dash letting you know they are on. I turn on the rear "fog Lights" when it is foggy or is raining. I think it was the right thing to do. It's too bad I had to spend $150 to get the switch but don't regret it.
It is good that you have found a technical solution for you in the US. One technical answer for UK users who have the above switch installed, is that they are advised NOT to use the rear fog lights when it is raining, because they are considered to be too bright and dangerous under those conditions. You may wish to consider this in your country.
Appreciate 0