BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

No Warning Tones error

Going to work this morning the radio sound went off and got a message on the screen saying 'no warning tones'. When I arrived at work I noticed that the beeps were not sounding on the parking sensors, further investigation revealed that everything works (ie satnav, phone, radio etc) but there is no sound. Tried switching off and restarting a couple of times and each time I get the no warning tones message as soon as I start the car.

Googled it and discovered it could either be a low battery (is this possible on a 9 month old car?) or a blown amp. Anyone had this happen to them? Unfortunately I cannot call BMW Assist just yet as I have appointments which I cannot cancel or be late for but may ring them tonight to see what they say. I am wondering if it is the battery whether or not a good motorway run would help? Nothing was left on last night and the car started perfectly this morning so bit of a strange one!
      12-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I had similar when I first purchased my car when it was 10 months old. It had come from BMW themselves via the selling dealer. It was a senior management X3 xDrive 30d MSport (63 plate) with lots of bells and whistles and a heavy duty battery normally supplied to the Canadian market.

It transpired that it had sat for a month and the battery had discharged down to a level where it gave spurious errors such as it lost time and date and also occasional low battery warning. I did not get any errors straight away because it was in the warmer weather, but as soon as it got colder in November, they started.

I contacted the Genius at the garage and after discussions I put the car on charge at various times when not using it and now over 4 years later all is fine.

Many users do not realise that the X3 alternater (other models could be the same) does not fully charge up the battery when driven normally. It only charges up to 80%, this gives the headroom (20%) for brake regeneration to work correctly. You need to braking and slowing down a lot to charge up to 100%. Note. Driving in the dark with lights on might not necessarily give maximum results.

I would suggest that you are still going to get errors until you battery has had a good charge over an extended period of time, because long runs are not going to completely charge the battery up to its full capacity.

You are best getting (the one I use) https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-.../dp/B00FC42HAA charger, because a cheap one might not do the business. I would suggest you do not purchase the BMW trickle charger although it appears to come from CTEK and rebranded.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Soon after we purchased our X3 (ex BMW management car) we had an issue with 'low battery' or something similar. I called out the BMW Assist (to our home) and they confirmed that the battery was very low. After they tested the charge they decided to replace it there and then.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the repliesguys, started it up a couple of hours ago and everything was back to normal, just been out again and no issues but will monitor it - especially with the very cold weather forecast this weekend! Had a similar issue with a 3 series back in 2005 when it was 2 weeks old, turned out the battery was shorting onto the chassis and had burnt a hole in it.....
      12-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Going into winter in most parts. Time to break out the "trickle charger"
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well we have had the worst winter spell of the year in blighty - 8 inches of snow where I live and this morning -7.5 degrees - X3 started fine and ran perfectly so the warning tone issue was hopefully an electrical gremlin.