BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #243
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Just to add:

Because the UK site shows all the options a la carte, to me it has the highest credibility compared to BMWNA and BMW Canada websites, in terms telling you what option comes with what package.

Of course, you can check the mother ship, BMW Germany, and it agrees with the BMW UK site. It also lists all the options by code, so it's very clear. http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/...figurator.html

In Germany, M Sport gives you the "sportliche fahrwerksabstimmung" (Sport suspension), 226, by default. You can add Dynamische Dämpfer Control (dynamic damping control), 223, which will automatically remove the 226 option.

Build X3 with M Sport, and you'll see that Variable Sportlenkung (Variable Sport Steering), 2VL, is indeed part of M Sport.

Also note: since the options can be ordered a la carte in Germany, if you order 2VG (performance control) as an individual option, you automatically get 2VL added. This shows that these two options always go hand in hand.

For the U.S., M Sport automatically orders "sport suspension" delete (225), which automatically gives it the standard suspension.

Lastly, BMWUSA website is terrible. DHP doesn't even show electronic damping control. BMWNA must think that most U.S. X3 buyers don't bother with a sport suspension.

Last edited by ManMachine; 06-16-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #244
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carbon Black X3 35i

I'm wondering how much stiffer is the suspension in the m-package when compared to those that got the DHP. The suspension of the m-package is pretty decent. (As you can tell, I'm trying to calm myself. ). In the press release that BMW sent out when it just introduced the m-package for the x3, it mentioned that it included stiffer dampers.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #245
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Hi guys , im taking delivery of an M sport 2.0D soon, I did not order the DDC/EDC package but I have the rocker switch.. Confusing.. I ordered VSS .. I also ordered delete of sport suspension due to bad roads I Norway .. Maybe BMW misunderstood and upgraded me :-)

Yeah and the dealer said there were some upgrades to my order without additional costs due to shortage of parts due to the tsunami in Japan.. Can this be the answer to why some cars are upgraded?

I also got staggered 275 19" m wheels

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-16-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #246
tetten
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 20i

Same here - I think the rocker switch is because we have VSS...

From the norwegian brochure page 61 I understand to get Dynamic driving control - DDC (rocker switch) you need either VSS, EDC or the sport automatic transmission (only for 35i and 30d).

The pricelist says that VSS is standard with M-sport on 6 cylinder cars..hence Rocker switch on US M-sport (only 6-cylinder cars in the US )

I could not feel any difference in the chassis when changing to sport mode, however it was easy to feel the change of the transmission and the steering got heavier and more direct.

In Norway the EDC is cheaper with the M-sport package (about 8k NOK) than without (about 12K NOK).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #247
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
So, if M-sport deletes the sport suspension, then what suspension do you get? I can't imagine they would put the standard suspension on the M-sport package.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #248
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Of course, you can check the mother ship, BMW Germany

Quote:
Also note: since the options can be ordered a la carte in Germany, if you order 2VG (performance control) as an individual option, you automatically get 2VL added. This shows that these two options always go hand in hand.
Perhaps this is true for M Sport but I have an SE with Performance Control (2VG) but not VSS (2VL) so they're not holding hands on mine

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #249
tetten
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
So, if M-sport deletes the sport suspension, then what suspension do you get? I can't imagine they would put the standard suspension on the M-sport package.
Yes, that is what you get .. 3 options:
Sport suspension - Included in M-sport
Delete sport suspension - No extra fee means (standard suspension)
EDC - Additional cost
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #250
tetten
Private
Rep

Quote:
It is the opposite according to the pricelist in Norway: 2VL (variable sportssteering) includes Performance control and Servotronic...

You can also get performance control and servotronic as 2 individual options in Norway, but for a small extra charge (90US) you can get 2VL which includes both :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #251
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
I'm wondering how much stiffer is the suspension in the m-package when compared to those that got the DHP. The suspension of the m-package is pretty decent. (As you can tell, I'm trying to calm myself. ). In the press release that BMW sent out when it just introduced the m-package for the x3, it mentioned that it included stiffer dampers.
Not for the U.S. market though, where the M Sport which doesn't include the sport suspension, and has the delete code.

Quote:
It would be the standard suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

Perhaps this is true for M Sport but I have an SE with Performance Control (2VG) but not VSS (2VL) so they're not holding hands on mine
I was wrong. Picking 2VL and you get 2VG tagged on. However, you can just get 2VG, without 2VL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetten View Post
It is the opposite according to the pricelist in Norway: 2VL (variable sportssteering) includes Performance control and Servotronic...

You can also get performance control and servotronic as 2 individual options in Norway, but for a small extra charge (90US) you can get 2VL which includes both :-)
Yes.
_________

In summary, I don't know if U.S. M Sport gets 2VL (variable sport steering), but it seems that at least most other countries do. Could BMW configure the U.S. M Sport without 2VL? At least according to the BMW pricing sheet, that's exactly what they did, since 2VL is not listed as part of M Sport, and the cost saving of $100 for M Sport+DHP sounds just about right for the cost of Performance control (2VG). (150 euro for Germany and 120 pounds in UK.)

I guess that's just another way of BMWNA tone down the M Sport. Do order DHP if you care for those options.

Last edited by ManMachine; 06-16-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #252
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Ok, so this is still confusing to me...why does adding the M-sport package delete the sport suspension? Does it delete the sport suspension regardless of whether you order the DHP? I want M-sport but I also want the sport suspension, which I think should be a part of the M-sport package anyways.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #253
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Ok, so this is still confusing to me...why does adding the M-sport package delete the sport suspension? Does it delete the sport suspension regardless of whether you order the DHP? I want M-sport but I also want the sport suspension, which I think should be a part of the M-sport package anyways.
Cos the US-spec M-sport package doesn't include sports suspension (so it seems according to the option codes). If u get DHP then sports suspension is deleted cos they cannot co-exist. Sports suspension is part of M-sport package, but on surface this doesn't seem to apply to US-spec cars.
If u want sports suspension then get DHP cos VDC uses the same springs & roll bars as sports suspension, the only difference are the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #254
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
I too am curious, cos I may order that insteat of VDC in order to save some $$$.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #255
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Yeah and the dealer said there were some upgrades to my order without additional costs due to shortage of parts due to the tsunami in Japan..
What are they exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #256
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
What are they exactly?
Upgraded bluetooth and connectivity package and hifi upgrade I think
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #257
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sport suspension delete (225) simply means standard suspension. That's just the M Sport set up in the U.S., but not the case in many other countries (it may vary from country to country). In the U.S., sport suspension (226) is not an option you can typically order, although it seems that user Torzeck seemed to have the 226 as a special order.

Personally I'd rather get 226 with 2VL and 2VG.
      06-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #258
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

ok , car delivered now, the switch is there, the computer allows chassis selection and the computer image on the screen shows suspension change when going from normal to sport.
The salesman is unclear of what I have, the factory code shows normal standard suspension (225)....

I ordered alu rails and alu around the windows, I was sceptic (wife's suggestion) but in real life it looks great

sorry for bad pictures..iphone picture..

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-17-2011 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #259
JBG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012X3 35i, 2018 X3 30i

Off topic, but beautiful X3. Will be getting my Space Gray next week. Interesting to see the brightwork on your MSport. We have to have the shadowline trim here. I like that too, but would have preferred your setup. Hope you enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #260
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
ok , car delivered now, the switch is there, the computer allows chassis selection and the computer image on the screen shows suspension change when going from normal to sport.
The salesman is unclear of what I have, the factory code shows normal standard suspension (225)....

I ordered alu rails and alu around the windows, I was sceptic (wife's suggestion) but in real life it looks great

sorry for bad pictures..iphone picture..
Quick question, what model is its 20d, 30d, 35i, 28i? do you have VSS?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #261
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Quick question, what model is its 20d, 30d, 35i, 28i? do you have VSS?
its an 2.0d ,I changed the kidneys to alu instead of the black that usually comes with the 2.0D, first driving experience is very good, I have VSS and servotronic.

With the alu kidneys and the alu rail and alu around the windows the car looks very good and the window area looks "smaller" and "sportier" in white,I have had very many positive feedbacks

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 06-17-2011 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #262
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

OK guys just to add to the confusion, I dont know what the heck I got. Idid order VSS but not EDC, I got the rocker switch..

See my order options and see the other options.. why can I change chassis if i don't have EDC/DDC?

Also why did I get DVD player when I didnt order NAV?

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #263
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
its an 2.0d ,I changed the kidneys to alu instead of the black that usually comes with the 2.0D, first driving experience is very good, I have VSS and servotronic.

With the alu kidneys and the alu rail and alu around the windows the car looks very good and the window area looks "smaller" and "sportier" in white,I have had very many positive feedbacks
Looks fantastic
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #264
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
OK guys just to add to the confusion, I dont know what the heck I got. Idid order VSS but not EDC, I got the rocker switch..
That's correct though. If you order VSS, you get DDC so you have to have a rocker switch to be able to change the steering from Normal to Sport

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0