BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
sjnorris7925
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i Space Grey

Air Conditioning

I don't use 'Auto' mode and manually turn on/off the air conditioning as necessary. Occasionally I'll notice cold air coming from the vents as if the air conditioning has been turned on even though it's off. This has happened several times and the only thing I've noticed is it seems to happen in humid conditions, especially if it's raining. I'm not too concerned about it, but just wondering if this is normal and if others have experienced this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I have similar experience on this. I will just adjust the temp a bit to get the AC off
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have this issue as well. It's kind of weird.

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Do you guys mean you are running the system on auto, without the A/C (snowflake) function switched on when you get this extra airflow?

If so, it is most likely the anti-fogging/humidity sensor triggering extra air to try and keep the screens clear. There is a strategy it follows and will up the flows if necessary. Having the full A/C function working allows it to work more in the background, without the forced airflows.

That is certainly how it works in other BMW models with virtually the same HVAC system as the X3.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Do you guys mean you are running the system on auto, without the A/C (snowflake) function switched on when you get this extra airflow?

If so, it is most likely the anti-fogging/humidity sensor triggering extra air to try and keep the screens clear. There is a strategy it follows and will up the flows if necessary. Having the full A/C function working allows it to work more in the background, without the forced airflows.

That is certainly how it works in other BMW models with virtually the same HVAC system as the X3.

HighlandPete
Funny, I was just searching for the "auto recirculate" stuff on the other forum, and saw a mention that there is a anti-fog sensor that will trigger the a/c under specific circumstances. I didn't even know it existed, however it's located behind your mirror in the little box that houses the rain sensor.
Appreciate 0