BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

BMW replaced the left front strut on my 11' x3 with M sport wheels.

Now when I go over certain bumps and imperfections on the road, I hear harsher clunk only from the front left wheel. Is this normal, or what could be going on? The other wheels seem fine. It just seems like more of a harsher impact then it should be even though I know I'm running on run flat tires. It seems like I can also feel it through the steering.

Car is also pulling to the right, even though it was also aligned at the same time. Could this be related?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Car pulling to the right is caused by a defect in the spring hat and will be replaced with new front springs and spring hats if you complain persistently.

Clunk may be related to a steering rack defect that, again if you complain persistently, will be replaced with a new design.

Be prepared to deal with uninformed and disinclined-to-give-a-shit service reps who tell you they cannot recreate issue in their troubleshooting and recommend a pricey alignment or new tires to fix the issue. They may even go to such extreme measures as to blame the non-OEM tires you have, and claim a voided warranty as a result.

In my case I had to make a scene of biblical proportion but both parts are to be replaced (awaiting availability of new rack, been months).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

My car has been at the dealer for over a week now, trying to reproduce a random knocking that can be felt through the floor at the front. Could this be the steering rack as I don't feel it through the steering wheel?
Also trying to get them to fix the idrive screen that keeps malfunctioning. Not getting anywhere with them so far!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I've had two X3s and both had their steering racks replaced for this issue at least once. The issue came back after a few weeks all three times. I'm getting it replaced again with what is supposed to be "a new design." We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
A quick check of realoem shows BMW has changed the part number for the steering rack 4 times from 9/2011 to 7/2013. While a part number change doesn't always mean a new part (could be a different supplier) it usually does.
So hopefully the new rack will fix the clunk problem.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...92&hg=32&fg=12
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

I found this on bimmerfest. I'm going to give it a try with my Indy since I've tried replacing the rack, tie rod, alignment, etc.

Quoting gfeiner from that thread: "I found the nut in the picture on my 2012 35i. You only need to remove front plastic shield (about 20 screws and two plastic nuts) and it will be easily accessible. It is hard to tell from the picture but the nut faces towards the front of the vehicle and upward at a slight angle. The nut in question is an external torx (e torx), size 20 otherwise known as E20."

Clearly, the steering rack replacement is a one size fits all approach. I'll post back my results.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I get a weird clunk but only happens sometimes when i drive for a while and when i put it into reverse and initially reverse. In certain circumstances when you reverse I get an initial clunk and then you do not hear it again. Anyone have ideas? Dealership keep saying they can't replicate anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge92 View Post
I get a weird clunk but only happens sometimes when i drive for a while and when i put it into reverse and initially reverse. In certain circumstances when you reverse I get an initial clunk and then you do not hear it again. Anyone have ideas? Dealership keep saying they can't replicate anything.
Not sure what to tell you. Transmission or diff related?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3 View Post
I found this on bimmerfest. I'm going to give it a try with my Indy since I've tried replacing the rack, tie rod, alignment, etc.

Quoting gfeiner from that thread: "I found the nut in the picture on my 2012 35i. You only need to remove front plastic shield (about 20 screws and two plastic nuts) and it will be easily accessible. It is hard to tell from the picture but the nut faces towards the front of the vehicle and upward at a slight angle. The nut in question is an external torx (e torx), size 20 otherwise known as E20."

Clearly, the steering rack replacement is a one size fits all approach. I'll post back my results.
Just following up with GREAT NEWS.

What I quoted, more or less tightening the nut on the rack, did indeed eliminate the clunk and play. My next question is how long will this last? I'll keep everyone posted if it loosens or comes back.

Stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Not sure what to tell you. Transmission or diff related?
Doesn't sound like the dif or transmission ... sounds like strut related but dealership can't replicate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:31 AM   #11
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3
Quote:

Just following up with GREAT NEWS.

What I quoted, more or less tightening the nut on the rack, did indeed eliminate the clunk and play. My next question is how long will this last? I'll keep everyone posted if it loosens or comes back.

Stay tuned...
Any update on this as a long term solution?

I also found that post on the other forum and did the adjustment this past weekend and viola... no more clunk! Not 100% sure but the steering itself feels a bit tighter too, although it might just be wishful thinking.
      03-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
Any update on this as a long term solution?

I also found that post on the other forum and did the adjustment this past weekend and viola... no more clunk! Not 100% sure but the steering itself feels a bit tighter too, although it might just be wishful thinking.
It seems to be something that does impact steering feel. I still have the clunk, a few months later, but it's not nearly as "loose" or pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Good to know it wasn't just in my head. How long did it take for the clunk to return?
      03-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #14
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
Good to know it wasn't just in my head. How long did it take for the clunk to return?
~500 miles. I found even after tightening that, there was still a clunk the more dramatic the right turn was. This was noticed even more so on small drop offs (i.e. driveways).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
punch1118
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

bmw is not the ultimate customer experience

my 2011 had the clunk but fortunately the dealership just replaced the rack before the cpo warranty expires (complained for almost 2 years then went to the other dealership in town)
a good mechanic can feel it by pulling on the shaft attached to the left inner tie rod joint
they usually remove the boot to get a visual confirmation of where the movement is coming from
it also made the noise when moving the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and when backing out of the driveway with wheels turned to the right
this is potentially dangerous not to mention annoying and not something you bargained for when purchasing your bmw but others have said slightly adjusting the preload quiets the clunk (I noticed it the first day after I bought the car)
can you imagine how much it would cost bmwna for a recall so they basically try to sweep this under the rug
apparently they feel the chance of an actual rack failure is low and worth the risk of a potential lawsuit if someone were to be injured due to loss of steering
unless the car was a cpo warranties are expiring and this issue is going away
the only rack numbers they are using now were issued on 10/2015 and 07/2016

Last edited by punch1118; 08-12-2017 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
punch1118
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

just got the 2011 back from dealership after rack replacement

Schomp dealership is first class here in Denver area:
they installed rack PN: 32 10 6 881 117
made several alignment adjustments
now drives like new

Murry/BMW of Denver Downtown are incompetent:
1. they said clunk was inner tie rod wanted $866 to fix
2. they fried the tire pressure monitor when installing new combox so it needed new rdc module
3. they will never get another dime of mine or my family's business
Appreciate 0