BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Arrow E-brake/Handbrake Usage

How many of you actually use your e-brake/handbrake when parking?
5% grade downhill I will 100% use the e-brake/handbrake, but at slight inclines, do you apply the e-brake/handbrake? this won't apply to MT BMW's, only AT BMW's.

As I do not like when the car moves forward or backward a bit and is stopped by the AT gear or whatever that is putting the car to a stop as oppose to an e-brake/hand brake... I know it would cause damage if one doesn't apply the e-brake/handbrake.... (In automatic vehicles)

If I don't want to apply the e-brake, I slowly apply the leg brake and let go and slowly let the car slip on the AT gear that will hold the car from rolling

Just a random concern... I have a MT Volkswagen, and I always leave it in gear and pull the handbrake (2011 GTI).

All my buddies with MT vehicles apply the handbrake.

AT vehicles have a choice not too without being paranoid about the car rolling away if the gearbox fails...

And I am not a fan of the electronic brakes (e-brake) because it can fail quite easily compared to a cable handbrake... even though this type of handbrake cable snapped off in my VW due to the cable rusting over time...

I appreciate any sort of feedback.
      12-07-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblackx3f25 View Post
.... Just a random concern... I have a MT Volkswagen, and I always leave it in gear and pull the handbrake (2011 GTI).
I always apply the "Parking Brake" when parking the vehicle. Apart from securing the vehicle, it also helps identify any problem that may exist in that braking system. A good thing to know if you ever have to use the "Parking Brake" if the main brakes ever fail, which I had happen to me a number of years ago.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Why not make it a habit to engage the electric parking brake every time you are done driving the car? It takes next to no effort and is safer in case the parking pawl in the transmission fails.
Appreciate 3
Wgosma806.00
pungo880.00
      12-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
I always apply the "Parking Brake" when parking the vehicle. Apart from securing the vehicle, it also helps identify any problem that may exist in that braking system. A good thing to know if you ever have to use the "Parking Brake" if the main brakes ever fail, which I had happen to me a number of years ago.
I do as well, when learning how to drive a car back in 2010 (16 years old), I was taught to always engage the parking brake no matter where I park.

I was just curious to see if anyone follows this in their BMW's.

This is my second BMW, I owned a E36 in 2013, sold it eventually, I've driven plenty of BMW's.

That's right! Use it or lose it, and if we don't use it, we won't know if we lost it or not

I will continue to apply the parking e-brakes by lifting up on the "P" switch next to the shifter. Even though I prefer a manual handbrake lever, don't like the e-brake switch... reasons why I like older BMW's
      12-08-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Why not make it a habit to engage the electric parking brake every time you are done driving the car? It takes next to no effort and is safer in case the parking pawl in the transmission fails.
I agree, I will do this consistently. Sometimes, if I'm in a rush, I forget, I come to a full stop, press the P switch on the shifter, car goes into park, I let off the brake pedal, and car moves a few inches and is held back by the AT gear or whatever is holding it in place and I can hear it hold it in place (if the windows are down).

and yes, the parking brake protects the transmission regardless.
It's the electronic buzz it makes that annoys me the most... after 5+ years of ownership, I should be used to it by now...
      12-08-2023, 09:26 PM   #6
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Do all f25s not come with auto hold? I engage this immediately and it auto applies the handbrake when you switch off the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 08:14 PM   #7
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwPower99 View Post
Do all f25s not come with auto hold? I engage this immediately and it auto applies the handbrake when you switch off the car.
I think so, mine has AUTO HOLD option, I will engage this and see what it does when I press the P button on the shifter. It will come in handy if it automatically applies the Parking brake when I press the P button.
      12-09-2023, 10:40 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I'm kinda confused with the point of this thread. AT have been used for many decades, they use a parking pawl to lock the transmission from moving when placed in park, not gears. It's not intended to hold the vehicle on an incline when parked, that's what parking brake is for, whether cable operated or electric, it makes no difference
If the AT alone is used for holding the vehicle on an incline, over time, it can wear/damage the pawl mechanism, seen many with worn out pawls over the years when rebuilding the trans.

I've seen the parking pawls sheared off on a vehicle that was parked without the parking brake on when it was hit hard from behind. Had the parking brake been engaged, the pawls may not have been damaged

With a MT, the engine compression is preventing the vehicle from moving so the steeper the incline, the more chance the vehicle can roll when in gear without the parking brake on. I've never seen or never heard of a MT failing where it causing the car to roll when parked

Bottom line, just get in the habit of engaging the parking brake when parked, not like it takes much effort to pull or push an electronic switch

Last edited by pungo; 12-17-2023 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I'm kinda confused with the point of this thread. AT have been used for many decades, they use a parking pawl to lock the transmission from moving when placed in park, not gears. It's not intended to hold the vehicle on an incline when parked, that's what parking brake is for, whether cable operated or electric, it makes no difference
If the AT alone is used for holding the vehicle on an incline, over time, it can wear/damage the pawl mechanism, seen many with worn out pawls over the years when rebuilding the trans.

I've seen the parking pawls sheared off on a vehicle that was parked without the parking brake on when it was hit hard from behind. Had the parking brake been engaged, the pawls may not have been damaged

With a MT, the engine compression is preventing the vehicle from moving so the steeper the incline, the more chance the vehicle can roll when in gear without the parking brake on. I've seen or never heard of a MT failing where it causing the car to roll when parked

Bottom line, just get in the habit of engaging the parking brake when parked, not like it takes much effort to pull or push an electronic switch
please send me guidelines regarding topics/discussions that can make it as a thread on this forum webpage

thank you for your feedback. I am grateful for your reply.
      12-17-2023, 11:34 PM   #10
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
My little procedure is throwing the car in neutral (auto trans), letting the kinetic energy of the transmission clear out (car May lurch a little) and then activate the parking brake followed by pressing the park button. I do this regardless of incline.

I do this because I hate putting the car in gear and feeling the parking pawl disengage. And it’s just safer to park this way.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 12:08 AM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:

I appreciate any sort of feedback.
Quote:
please send me guidelines regarding topics/discussions that can make it as a thread on this forum webpage

thank you for your feedback. I am grateful for your reply.

Dude, you asked for "any sort of feedback". I provided feedback with detailed operation on the subject from real world experience since it's obvious you have minimal mechanical knowledge and you reply with this sarcastic comment, what a tool

Sorry I don't agree with you on your decision to not use the parking brake except on steep inclines, smh
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:48 AM   #12
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Dude, you asked for "any sort of feedback". I provided feedback with detailed operation on the subject from real world experience since it's obvious you have minimal mechanical knowledge and you reply with this sarcastic comment, what a tool

Sorry I don't agree with you on your decision to not use the parking brake except on steep inclines, smh
thank you for "your" type of feedback. I will use it as fuel to burn.

I will gain your level of mechanical knowledge in due time.

I will use the parking brake at all times Sir Pungo.