BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
hellhawk741
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Adaptive headlight malfunction when highbeams are activated

I am having an issue with my X3 and bi-xenon adaptive headlights. When I start the car, the lights function normally, no issues. Headlights aim in the direction of the steering wheel and the vertical aim (anti-dazzle?) lowers and raises normally. As soon as I pull back the stick for the high beams, the headlights return to a default position and no longer aim in the direction of the steering wheel or aim vertically. I also get three warnings on the display for "Adaptive Headlight Malfunction," "Lighting System: Front right malfunction," and "Headlamp vertical aim control malfunction." Also, when I do pull back for the high beams, I DO get a high beam output on the left side but DO NOT get a high beam output on the right side.

I have tried swapping lights left to right and when I pull back on the stick for high beams, I don't get either left or right. I can conclude the high beam on the original right bulb is burned out but still does not explain why I wouldn't get a high beam from a known good bulb in the right side. When swapped back, the high beam function returns to the left side only.

A code readout from Carly results in code 805E47 along with the description "Servomotor glare-free high beam: open circuit in winding 1." I have looked at newTIS diagrams and cannot figure out which it would be to shoot. I'm guessing LM_LIN_1? Do you guys know if the control module (this)behind the headlight is interchangeable between left and right?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The Xenon bulbs themselves don't actually change from low to high beam, in other words, the output of the bulb itself is the same brightness for both low and high beam. There's a shutter in the projector that opens to change to a high beam pattern. It's operated by a solenoid, which may have gone bad
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

there is a little metal box mounted under each headlight. It needs to be replaced on the defective headlight, its usually caused by water getting in the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
hellhawk741
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vtirozguy View Post
there is a little metal box mounted under each headlight. It needs to be replaced on the defective headlight, its usually caused by water getting in the headlight.
I'll try swapping left to right to see if the problem follows. It sucks that newtis went down as I'm troubleshooting this.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellhawk741 View Post
I'll try swapping left to right to see if the problem follows. It sucks that newtis went down as I'm troubleshooting this.
The "little metal box" under the headlight is the ballast (converts low voltage to very high voltage) and if the low beam is coming on, the ballast is working. You can go ahead and swap the ballast left to right, but I don't know if the high beam wire even goes through the ballast. Your issue may reside elsewhere, i.e. FRM ,control module or high beam shutter solenoid?
BTW, ista+ has wiring diagrams since newtis is out.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

no the box is the BMW Adaptive Headlight Module.

https://www.getbmwparts.zzzzzzcom/v-...amp-components

part 9 on the link (remove the zzzzz)

Last edited by 94vtirozguy; 10-13-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no the box is the BMW Adaptive Headlight Module.

https://www.getbmwparts.zzzzzzcom/v-...amp-components

part 9 on the link (remove the zzzzz)
The box does contain a "ballast" which is what fires the arc in the Xenon bulb. But regardless of what bmw is naming it, swapping the part left to right should prove if that is what is causing the fault.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
hellhawk741
Rep

Just to update since the last post, I ran ISTA+ and it had me swap TMS modules left to right, ran the teach in procedure but the same condition is present. Fault isolation on ISTA+ called for a defective headlight, which I'm not going to replace. The control module is next. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
hellhawk741
Rep

Update 2:

I found my problem. The wires going to the high beam shutter were detached from the pins probably due to fatigue. It's the green connector. See image below.

I had to remove the green connector, open it, remove the pins and since I didn't have any spare pins (who does), I had to strip the wires and simply re-crimp to the back-end of the pin. I applied heat shrink to the wires to increase the strength of the "crimp" and then had to guess which wire went where since they are not labeled. I knew the pins were 1 and 3 so it was a 50/50 shot and guessed right the first time. I had working high beams and no errors during the test run. After, i inserted the pins back to their respective slots and put it all back together. If any of you have this issue, this could be the problem.

Here are the images.

Last edited by hellhawk741; 10-21-2020 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:44 AM   #10
cooltechguide
Rep
Drives: suzuki alto 2002

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your X3 and bi-xenon adaptive headlights. Based on the symptoms you've described and the error code you've received, it seems like there may be a problem with the servomotor for the glare-free high beam in the right headlight.

To provide a positive answer to your problem, I recommend the following steps:

1. Replace the right headlight bulb: Since you've mentioned that the high beam output is not working on the right side, it's possible that the bulb is burnt out. Swapping the bulbs left to right and still not getting a high beam from the right side suggests that the bulb may need to be replaced.

2. Inspect the wiring and connections: Check for any loose or damaged wiring or connections related to the right headlight. Make sure all connections are secure and free of corrosion.

3. Check the servomotor for the glare-free high beam: The error code 805E47 indicates an open circuit in winding 1 of the servomotor for the glare-free high beam. This could be causing the adaptive headlight malfunction and the vertical aim control malfunction. Inspect the wiring and connections for the servomotor and repair or replace as necessary.

4. Verify compatibility of control module: The control module behind the headlight is typically specific to the left or right side. Consult the vehicle's documentation or contact a BMW dealership or certified technician to confirm if the control module is interchangeable between the left and right headlights.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, I recommend consulting a professional BMW technician or contacting your local BMW dealership for further assistance. They will have the expertise and tools to accurately diagnose and repair the problem with your adaptive headlights. For Further details check out: BMW Headlight Problems

Last edited by cooltechguide; 12-14-2023 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0