BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i

Cost of Extended Warranty

Hi all..I've got an '12 F25 with all the bells and whistles, and these bells and whistle's seem to be in the shop quite often. I have 33k miles on it, and am debating whether to keep the car and buy the extended warranty or trade it in for something else. Absolutely love the car and the way it drives.

Has anyone else purchased the extended warranty after the fact, and if so what did it cost you.

Also feel free to throw in opinions if I should trade it in for something else (ie. new X5, new X3, FX50 something else I haven't thought of?)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I just went through the same excercise. What I found is that extended warranties on these vehicles are very expensive. As you may have already figured out. I spent a lot of time going through reviews, BBB reports, etc. on various companies. None have very good overall ratings, but some are better than others. I went with a CNA 80000 mile/7 year/$200 deductible that covers everything including all electronics. In your case, I would wait until you are very near the end of the factory coverage and look closely at the actual BMW warranty extension. Not cheap, but seems the best. We didn't because of the distance from a dealer and the fact that we have a well thought of independent service center closer.
As far as to keep or trade, that is a personal decision. We are keeping ours because we love it, and the cost to get a new one is more than we care to invest at this point in time.
Good luck with your decision.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
I would be interested to see what deals others come up with as well - I have about 20 months left until I hit 4 years - Mileage should hit 50k around the same time. I really like my X3 and the prospects of buying are extended coverage vs trading in on something new are much higher w/ my X3 than it was with my last few cars... we'll see though.

I an already planning on following Gouda's advice by waiting until near the end of my 4/50 coverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I have opted for the extended maintenance plan but will wait for the last month or miles until I buy the extended coverage.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmorganxx View Post
Hi all..I've got an '12 F25 with all the bells and whistles, and these bells and whistle's seem to be in the shop quite often. I have 33k miles on it, and am debating whether to keep the car and buy the extended warranty or trade it in for something else. Absolutely love the car and the way it drives.

Has anyone else purchased the extended warranty after the fact, and if so what did it cost you.

Also feel free to throw in opinions if I should trade it in for something else (ie. new X5, new X3, FX50 something else I haven't thought of?)
all i can comment on is the 2yr extended maintenance add on that BMW offers for its vehicles. My 335xi was just under 50k miles when the 4yr/50k mile warranty ended and I decided not to purchase the additional 2 yrs/50k miles for ~$2000. My brakes were not in need of replacement before 50k miles so I wasnt sure how this would work out for me. My maintenance costs over the past 2 years that may have been covered have been: front and rear brake pads and rotors w brake fluid flush (~$750), alternator replacement (~$600), and oil changes (~$106 x 2). I order the OEM parts from online stores and have a local indie shop, that takes care of a lot of higher end european cars, do the work. They arent cheap but are less than the dealership by far. So far it looks like I will be saving a few hundred dollars by not buying the maintenance plan but I also dont have the luxury of receiving loaner cars when my car is in the shop. Had I stuck with BMW, I could also have saved some time ordering parts, researching things, etc but that wasnt a big deal to me. Had I not purchased the maintenance plan and still got the work done at the BMW dealership, the cost for maintenance would have far exceeded $2000. On the other hand, under the maintenance plan they probably would have replaced my brake pads only and not changed the rotors. They also might have not acted on the alternator since the car was still starting up and holding charge fine at the time. I will probably need the spark plugs changed soon but it probably wont be until after Im out of the 6yrs/100k mile timeframe. Also I think my front shocks are starting to go but was kind of waiting for that so I could lower the car a little bit and go with coilovers/aftermarket suspension for better handling.

I would say that if you prefer the work done at the dealership, its probably a better deal to just buy the extended maintenance. Probably for most people, the extended maintenance plans end up being a pretty reasonable and worthile purchase. I think its especially true if you will get close to 100k miles by the end of the 6 years, prefer to keep the vehicle stock and like the convenience of getting the loaner cars and dealership service. Otherwise you MIGHT save a few hundred dollars (might spend more also) by having another reliable mechanic do the work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Good breakdown 335...thanks-I'm about in same boat as Greg...my dealer offered me a "deal" (?) on the full bumper to bumper extended coverage plan that is additional 2 years and up to 70,000 miles for $3,000...this is different plan than the maintenance plan, which would be around $1,800 for 2 additional yrs and 100k miles....I was more considering the full coverage as my sunroof has been back in the shop numerous times to tweak it-this would not be covered under the maintenance deal....but...I may just accept that BMW apparently didn't know how to make a damn rattle free sunroof way back in 2011 (nor do they have a great fix for this issue, in my experience) and get the maintenance plan, and accept the inevitable return of the rattle...I do like the loaner cars and white glove treatment I get from my dealer...

Love the car otherwise...still love driving it..

ok..now I'm just talking to myself....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
ehhh the sunroof rattle is annoying but theres a way to get around it. apply 1/2" foam tape, dont use felt tape.

i usually try to do trade in when i reach 50k lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
Good breakdown 335...thanks-I'm about in same boat as Greg...my dealer offered me a "deal" (?) on the full bumper to bumper extended coverage plan that is additional 2 years and up to 70,000 miles for $3,000...this is different plan than the maintenance plan, which would be around $1,800 for 2 additional yrs and 100k miles....I was more considering the full coverage as my sunroof has been back in the shop numerous times to tweak it-this would not be covered under the maintenance deal....but...I may just accept that BMW apparently didn't know how to make a damn rattle free sunroof way back in 2011 (nor do they have a great fix for this issue, in my experience) and get the maintenance plan, and accept the inevitable return of the rattle...I do like the loaner cars and white glove treatment I get from my dealer...

Love the car otherwise...still love driving it..

ok..now I'm just talking to myself....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

capnmorganxx, usually I wait until the very end of my factory warranty before I decide on rather to buy the extended warranty or not. Usually the deciding factor is if the car had a lot of issues during the 1st 4 years. If the car had issues like yours, I usually trade it in. If I still like the car, I usually just trade it in for the same model of the current year.
Appreciate 0