BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

My X3 Build

After reading this board for a few weeks I have added and removed a few options based on user feedback and for now have settled on the following:

xDrive28i

Titanium Silver Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Silver Matte Trim

Sport Activity Package
•Light alloy wheels V-spoke style 307
•X-Line exterior trim package
•Roof rails in Aluminum Satin
•Sports leather steering wheel
•Sport seats

Convenience Package
•Xenon headlights
•Cargo net
•Adaptive light control
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Rear manual side window shades
•Power tailgate

Options:

Rear-view camera

Park Distance Control

--

I will be placing the order sometime during the 1st week of April.

* One question I do have is the Bluetooth option, given my build, what would I need to add to be able to make/receive calls via the Bluetooth function?

* Another question, I see some people talking about USB capability. How does that work? Is it included on all models?

Thoughts/Feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post

* One question I do have is the Bluetooth option, given my build, what would I need to add to be able to make/receive calls via the Bluetooth function?

* Another question, I see some people talking about USB capability. How does that work? Is it included on all models?

Thoughts/Feedback
Bluetooth is standard. You don't need to do/add anything for this to work.

I'm not sure about the USB connectivity with non-iPod players. But you can just use a jump drive. BMW will even send you one in your welcome package.

What made you choose the park distance control and backup camera? Also, if you're getting leather, why not go for Premium Package too? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
Bluetooth is standard. You don't need to do/add anything for this to work.

I'm not sure about the USB connectivity with non-iPod players. But you can just use a jump drive. BMW will even send you one in your welcome package.

What made you choose the park distance control and backup camera? Also, if you're getting leather, why not go for Premium Package too? Just curious.
* The few CA's I have spoken to say that to use my iPhone to talk via the bluetooth functionality in the X3, I need to order the tech package or add the Smart Phone Integration option.

* Yeah, I have an iPhone and plan to use it to listen to online radio via a few apps I have on it. Will this work in the car?

* As far as the jump drive, I have many. I can just upload music and plug it into the USB port, eh? This USB port standard? Where is it located for all? I might have to check next time I swing by a BMW dealer.

* As for the Prem Pkg, I don't see the need for an add'l $2k (since the pkg is $3540 - $1450 for the leather) since I am not so keen on the moon roof and there's no way to delete it, but just want it for the brushed aluminum trim and maybe the light package and auto folding mirrors. Other than that, I don't think I need any of the rest in that pkg. That was my justification....

Does the car still have the ability to fold the exterior mirrors manually?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Convenience Package
•Xenon headlights
•Cargo net
•Adaptive light control
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Rear manual side window shades
•Power tailgate

Options:

Rear-view camera

Park Distance Control

Thoughts/Feedback
I've already spoken about the heated steering wheel in another thread so I won't get into it.

I'm curious as to why you want the convenience package, the convenience package & dynamic handling package are the only two things I didn't order with what would otherwise be a fully loaded 35i.

Here's the reasons why I don't think the convenience package is worth it:

Xenon Headlights/Adaptive Control: This is the only thing that's worth it imo and you can add it as a individual option.
Cargo Net: Useful if you store a lot of small things in your trunk, not useful if you do. The backseats do just as well.
Comfort Access: To me this is a cool novelty more so than something you need or is useful. Considering how the X3 is keyless start, when you compare it to a normal remote key the only real difference is that with convenience access you now no longer have reach several inches farther with your hands in order to get into your pocket and push one button. The other difference is starting your car engine. I only consider this useful if you've been outside for a long time on a cold day otherwise I personally wouldn't want my car running in my garage, stinking it up with noxious fumes.
Rear Manual Side Window Shades: Useful but become obsolete if you tint your windows, plus tints look better.
Power Tailgate: This seems useful if someone has suffered an injury in the past but otherwise most people would be able to close a door by themselves. Come on, there's four other doors on the car that aren't motorized.

All in all I'm not trying to put down the options you've added to the car but I've seen your posts over the last few weeks and it seems like you want to get as much info or opinion as you can. Just trying to see if I can save a fellow owner some money.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I've already spoken about the heated steering wheel in another thread so I won't get into it.

I'm curious as to why you want the convenience package, the convenience package & dynamic handling package are the only two things I didn't order with what would otherwise be a fully loaded 35i.

Here's the reasons why I don't think the convenience package is worth it:

Xenon Headlights/Adaptive Control: This is the only thing that's worth it imo and you can add it as a individual option.
Cargo Net: Useful if you store a lot of small things in your trunk, not useful if you do. The backseats do just as well.
Comfort Access: To me this is a cool novelty more so than something you need or is useful. Considering how the X3 is keyless start, when you compare it to a normal remote key the only real difference is that with convenience access you now no longer have reach several inches farther with your hands in order to get into your pocket and push one button. The other difference is starting your car engine. I only consider this useful if you've been outside for a long time on a cold day otherwise I personally wouldn't want my car running in my garage, stinking it up with noxious fumes.
Rear Manual Side Window Shades: Useful but become obsolete if you tint your windows, plus tints look better.
Power Tailgate: This seems useful if someone has suffered an injury in the past but otherwise most people would be able to close a door by themselves. Come on, there's four other doors on the car that aren't motorized.

All in all I'm not trying to put down the options you've added to the car but I've seen your posts over the last few weeks and it seems like you want to get as much info or opinion as you can. Just trying to see if I can save a fellow owner some money.
No worries, sir. The more feedback, the better it is. So provide away.

I went with the package because The Power Tailgate and Xenon Headlights are a must for me. So that if you option it separately is $500 and $900 or $1300 in total.

And doesn't the Power Tailgate feature allow you to open and close the trunk with your key fob?

And I want the Comfort Access for the remote start ability, so that when my car isn't in the garage, I can start it from my home, and let it warm up and heat the car for example. And that was another $500 making it $1800.

So the entire package was $1850, so I went with the package instead. Hence, my logic.

BTW - Given you have the sport package, and I'm thinking of getting it as well, I've gotten a lot of pushback from my friends saying that over time it becomes uncomfortable and is harder. I didn't find it that way in my test drives. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:

BTW - Given you have the sport package, and I'm thinking of getting it as well, I've gotten a lot of pushback from my friends saying that over time it becomes uncomfortable and is harder. I didn't find it that way in my test drives. Any thoughts?
The sports package doesn't change the handling, so the only thing you could argue as "harder" is the seats. I know that it has been discussed and I believe the consensus is that the sports seats are much more comfortable on long drives and certainly should never be less comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries, sir. The more feedback, the better it is. So provide away.

I went with the package because The Power Tailgate and Xenon Headlights are a must for me. So that if you option it separately is $500 and $900 or $1300 in total.

And doesn't the Power Tailgate feature allow you to open and close the trunk with your key fob?

And I want the Comfort Access for the remote start ability, so that when my car isn't in the garage, I can start it from my home, and let it warm up and heat the car for example. And that was another $500 making it $1800.

So the entire package was $1850, so I went with the package instead. Hence, my logic.

Fair enough, when you factor in the price of individual prices the convenience package does make sense. This was my same rational for cold weather package as the heated front seats and steering wheel is $690 out of $1150 already, though I most likely won't be using the other features.

In regards to the sport package I'm not sure why your friends believe that the package will become uncomfortable overtime as I'm pretty sure it doesn't change the suspension. Although called the sport package it doesn't actually do anything to make the car perform more sporty, it's most notable features are the aesthetics (X Line) and the sport seats. The only package I see affecting the car in terms of performance is the dynamic handling package which allow you to change the damping, tighten steering, and split power to wheels differently.

Last edited by Beyu; 03-15-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
In regards to the sport package I'm not sure why your friends believe that the package will become uncomfortable overtime as I'm pretty sure it doesn't change the suspension. Although called the sport package it doesn't actually do anything to make the car perform more sporty, it's most notable features are the aesthetics (X Line) and the sport seats. The only package I see affecting the car in terms of performance is the dynamic handling package which allow you to change the damping, tighten steering, and split power to wheels differently.
Yeah, in the 28i the Sport Package doesn't offer much sportiness. Too bad really. The paddle shifters, sport transmission and sport suspension are great in the 35i. Especially with the DHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
* The few CA's I have spoken to say that to use my iPhone to talk via the bluetooth functionality in the X3, I need to order the tech package or add the Smart Phone Integration option.
They're full of crap. I didn't order anything extra on my car and my iphone works just fine via bluetooth. You don't need ANYTHING extra for this. Don't let them fool you.

Quote:
* Yeah, I have an iPhone and plan to use it to listen to online radio via a few apps I have on it. Will this work in the car?
Should.

Quote:
* As far as the jump drive, I have many. I can just upload music and plug it into the USB port, eh? This USB port standard? Where is it located for all? I might have to check next time I swing by a BMW dealer.
The USB port is standard and it is located in the centre consul. You can upload music into the HD easily.

Quote:
* As for the Prem Pkg, I don't see the need for an add'l $2k (since the pkg is $3540 - $1450 for the leather) since I am not so keen on the moon roof and there's no way to delete it, but just want it for the brushed aluminum trim and maybe the light package and auto folding mirrors. Other than that, I don't think I need any of the rest in that pkg. That was my justification....
Fair enough. Is there really no option for a moon roof delete?

Quote:
Does the car still have the ability to fold the exterior mirrors manually?
Yes.

FWIW, the Sport Seats make the SAP worth the price. They're so much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Comfort Access does not provide a remote start capability.
      03-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Then what does it really do? *confused*
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
They're full of crap. I didn't order anything extra on my car and my iphone works just fine via bluetooth. You don't need ANYTHING extra for this. Don't let them fool you.

Should.

The USB port is standard and it is located in the centre consul. You can upload music into the HD easily.

Fair enough. Is there really no option for a moon roof delete?

Yes.

FWIW, the Sport Seats make the SAP worth the price. They're so much nicer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I've read on the web that Bluetooth is a STD feature on all models, yet the 3 SA's I've spoken to all said it's part of the tech pkg.

From everything I've been told, there's no way to delete the moon roof, yet some have found a way to delete the X-Line trim, so I am wondering now why can't the Moonroof be deleted the same way?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
disregard my prev post, seems I can't delete it, as another poster provided more details in another thread.

If I go w/o the Conv Pkg and just add the HID's, does the adaptive light control come included?

And if I go w/o the Conv Pkg and just ass the power tailgate, can I open n close the tailgate with the standard key fob?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I'd go through the PDF on this post for specific items you may or may not want added, and see if the package makes sense. It's supposed to be for April, when you're placing your order. There may or may not be subtle changes.
I can tell you that there's also a USB connector in the glove box, but that may be part of the upgraded sound system. Also, while I've been told (by everyone that is supposed to have a good understanding of what does and doesn't work) that it wouldn't, my HTC Incredible Android cell phone paired with the bluetooth system and works like a charm.

Your fine-tuning may or may not give you the exact results you want. The power tailgate looks to be a separate item you can have by itself, though.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Am i correct that the cargo net includes a net partition from the roller blind to the roof lining.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
I'd go through the PDF on this post for specific items you may or may not want added, and see if the package makes sense. It's supposed to be for April, when you're placing your order. There may or may not be subtle changes.
I can tell you that there's also a USB connector in the glove box, but that may be part of the upgraded sound system. Also, while I've been told (by everyone that is supposed to have a good understanding of what does and doesn't work) that it wouldn't, my HTC Incredible Android cell phone paired with the bluetooth system and works like a charm.

Your fine-tuning may or may not give you the exact results you want. The power tailgate looks to be a separate item you can have by itself, though.
Thanks for the PDF. I picked up a copy from the dealer this weekend and have it right by me as we speak all highlighted out. lol

The USB connection is something I forgot to check. They had a base model with NO packages or options on the floor and I should have checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

I don't have a USB port in my glovebox, so that must be a Premium Sound feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:

As I understand, you can only open the trunk with your key fob, but you cannot close it using the key. To close it, you have to take your bags out of the car, and lift up your hand while holding these bags in order to press the button on the top of the door. So, opening is just half of the luxury and closing is Primitivo.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
As I understand, you can only open the trunk with your key fob, but you cannot close it using the key. To close it, you have to take your bags out of the car, and lift up your hand while holding these bags in order to press the button on the top of the door. So, opening is just half of the luxury and closing is Primitivo.
It doesn't really open it. It just cracks it open so that you can lift it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
I can tell you that there's also a USB connector in the glove box, but that may be part of the upgraded sound system
I think (in the UK at least) the USB socket in the glove box is only for pro nav because it's there to upload data to the hard drive.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

I have ordered the pro media, but also ordered, Telephone USB audio interface. I thought this was the USB in the glove box. Maybe did'nt need this ??.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #22
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
disregard my prev post, seems I can't delete it, as another poster provided more details in another thread.

If I go w/o the Conv Pkg and just add the HID's, does the adaptive light control come included?
If you forgo the convenience package and add the xenon headlights as a individual option the adaptive light control is included.
Appreciate 0