BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

BMW assist will no longer work sometime next year

I just recieved word that all BMWs model year 2013 and older will no longer have working BMW assist sometime in 2016. Apparently the network it functions on will be shutdown and no retrofit is planned to upgrade these cars to the new network. I just paid for another year of assist on my 2011 and am very disappointed by this news. The assist feature is very important to me when my wife and family are driving the car. I also don't want to replace a perfectly good car which has been flawless for us just to get a feature I paid for when the car was new. Anyone else hear about this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Network Module

It is really sad that the car companies have not made the network device a module so it can be upgraded as the cellular companies update their networks. Go from 2G to 3G to 4G, etc.

I dream of the infotainment system being like the computer industry. You could update the hardware with new technology. The buttons and wires don't need changing. Just the CPU, storage, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
I just recieved word that all BMWs model year 2013 and older will no longer have working BMW assist sometime in 2016. Apparently the network it functions on will be shutdown and no retrofit is planned to upgrade these cars to the new network. I just paid for another year of assist on my 2011 and am very disappointed by this news. The assist feature is very important to me when my wife and family are driving the car. I also don't want to replace a perfectly good car which has been flawless for us just to get a feature I paid for when the car was new. Anyone else hear about this?

Just curious as to why you feel this way? I also purchased the plan in 2012 when I first took delivery of my truck. I quickly learned that my paired iPhone was far more helpful. In emergencies the SOS button will work, even without the subscription.

I found the concierge feature to be an utter joke. Any time I contacted them, all they could do was provide me the phone number of the hotel/restaurant/whatever I needed. This feature, through my Amex platinum card, is far superior and truly more of concierge service.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
Just curious as to why you feel this way? I also purchased the plan in 2012 when I first took delivery of my truck. I quickly learned that my paired iPhone was far more helpful. In emergencies the SOS button will work, even without the subscription.

I found the concierge feature to be an utter joke. Any time I contacted them, all they could do was provide me the phone number of the hotel/restaurant/whatever I needed. This feature, through my Amex platinum card, is far superior and truly more of concierge service.

Thanks,
dr
I like it because a paired iphone is useless if you are incapacitated in an accident. Also the SOS may function even without a subscription, but there is no automatic crash notification without a subscription. But it is a moot point now as the entire system will be disabled next year. Not even the SOS button will work.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
I like it because a paired iphone is useless if you are incapacitated in an accident. Also the SOS may function even without a subscription, but there is no automatic crash notification without a subscription. But it is a moot point now as the entire system will be disabled next year. Not even the SOS button will work.
Interesting as that is pretty specific. I think that this system and OnStar are the only that offer that type of service?

It is a nice feature to have and does provide a peace of mind.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
BackCountryX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

BMW Assist going away for 2011 X3

I, too, recently found out that BMW Assist would soon stop functioning in my 2011 X3 -- if it hasn't already -- due to a BMW technology change, and that there's nothing I can do about it. To have a chunk of expensive technology deliberately obsoleted in a vehicle that's barely 5 years old is pretty amazing to me. I'm surprised that there's not more discussion, if not disgust, about it on BMW forums. Are people unaware of this impending loss of function (BMW did nothing to tell me about it, proactively)?

People who financed their car purchase for 5 or more years, and who might have also purchased extended warranties, will still be paying for functions that will no longer work. My, oh my...

It's also not clear to me exactly what I'll be losing, I'm not sure the customer service reps have fully reliable information. As I understand it, BMW Assist is comprised of both the Safety and Comfort packages (at least when I bought my car). Losing roadside assistance isn't a big deal - I have AAA. Losing automatic notification of a serious accident is a big deal. How about BMW Online (news, weather, etc.), or the few apps I've downloaded...are they soon to die? Will real-time traffic on the navigation screens disappear? Will I no longer be able to send destinations and other information to the car? Will the remote app - though of little use, anyway - cease to function? How much of the technology in my center stack is going to vanish?

This certainly does not seem to be a path toward high customer retention...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackCountryX3 View Post
I, too, recently found out that BMW Assist would soon stop functioning in my 2011 X3 -- if it hasn't already -- due to a BMW technology change, and that there's nothing I can do about it. To have a chunk of expensive technology deliberately obsoleted in a vehicle that's barely 5 years old is pretty amazing to me. I'm surprised that there's not more discussion, if not disgust, about it on BMW forums. Are people unaware of this impending loss of function (BMW did nothing to tell me about it, proactively)?

People who financed their car purchase for 5 or more years, and who might have also purchased extended warranties, will still be paying for functions that will no longer work. My, oh my...

It's also not clear to me exactly what I'll be losing, I'm not sure the customer service reps have fully reliable information. As I understand it, BMW Assist is comprised of both the Safety and Comfort packages (at least when I bought my car). Losing roadside assistance isn't a big deal - I have AAA. Losing automatic notification of a serious accident is a big deal. How about BMW Online (news, weather, etc.), or the few apps I've downloaded...are they soon to die? Will real-time traffic on the navigation screens disappear? Will I no longer be able to send destinations and other information to the car? Will the remote app - though of little use, anyway - cease to function? How much of the technology in my center stack is going to vanish?

This certainly does not seem to be a path toward high customer retention...
Yes, you are going to lose all functionality except your bluetooth phone. That includes assist and all the safety S.O.S. functions it provides. You will also lose BMW online as well as any apps you have. The issue is BMW assist functions on an old 2g network that is being phased out. I am not happy about it as well as you can see from my earlier posts but no one else seems to care, oddly.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Class Action

If you feel that way, find a lawyer and have them sue them.

I personally think that the car companies should make the network device a module that can be upgraded as the cellular networks are increased.

My 2016 X3 uses 3G network. Why, Why not LTE?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

I believe Real Time traffic is done through FM, not cellular (although I think there is a more advanced version that used cellular) From BMW:

Whether you want the short route, the fast route or the scenic route; you never want to get stuck in traffic. Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) is now included in the BMW Navigation system on most models, providing up-to-date traffic information right on your control display. The service notifies you of traffic incidents on your route so you can change course and possibly avoid delays. Major markets continuously update the service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; while smaller markets report only during normal commuting hours.

Traffic incidents are compiled and transmitted in metropolitan areas by a leading FM broadcaster. The data is received through a dedicated tuner, which operates independently of your entertainment source.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

For traffic, the Waze app is better.

Most of what is being lost I can live without. Vehicle Location/Stolen Vehicle Recovery, if it is lost, could cost me money on my insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Its hardly BMW fault that the USA 2G network is being switched off .. but I. would think they could offer an upgrade of some sort.

Here in UK the 2G network is still up and running with no present plans to shut it down yet announced so this will not be an issue for X3's here...
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

So vehicles with 3g/4g will still operate as they do today? I have 2 vehicles with 3g and 1 with 4g.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
So vehicles with 3g/4g will still operate as they do today? I have 2 vehicles with 3g and 1 with 4g.
Yes, for awhile although there has been talk of phasing out 3G as well. The problem we are discussing is with 2G vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Are 2016 X3's 3G or 4G?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Are 2016 X3's 3G or 4G?
I have a 2014/3g, 2015/3g and a 2016/4g. I believe the 4g's came with the 2016's, but not 100% sure about that.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Are 2016 X3's 3G or 4G?
I have a 2016 X3 and it is 3G. I wish it were 4G or LTE. Very slow.

I really wish the communication was a module that could be upgraded as the networks improve.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
supernova1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Does anybody know which generation is used for 2013 X3? I save a lot on insurance due to recovery service, do not want it to go away...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
As someone who was involved in a car accident this past weekend I was not impressed with BMW assist. Operator couldn't find where I was despite giving coordinates (yes actual coordinates) and I was surprised to find out they rely on local tow services. Other brands will have a roadside assistance car sent from the nearest dealer. In my case I had the luxury of waiting for Uncle Ned to show up. After waiting over an hour I said screw it, told the police to wrap up the scene and I was going to drive myself.
      03-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #19
momoboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 35i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
As someone who was involved in a car accident this past weekend I was not impressed with BMW assist. Operator couldn't find where I was despite giving coordinates (yes actual coordinates) and I was surprised to find out they rely on local tow services. Other brands will have a roadside assistance car sent from the nearest dealer. In my case I had the luxury of waiting for Uncle Ned to show up. After waiting over an hour I said screw it, told the police to wrap up the scene and I was going to drive myself.
It's funny you say that! I just used BMW assist last week as I needed a tow. Yup, they were friendly on the call. Yup, they had the coordinates (right on the iDrive screen). Yup they even sent a text with the tow information (it was a local tow service) That was the most helpful part as I then used that text to call the tow company as they (BMW assist) sent the tow company to the wrong town. Thankfully I was not waiting for an ambulance! Next time I'll call AAA. The tow company was fine and helpful and got me back to the dealer without incident though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #20
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1 View Post
Does anybody know which generation is used for 2013 X3? I save a lot on insurance due to recovery service, do not want it to go away...
You have the old 2G system that is being phased out, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #21
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova1 View Post
Would the insurance company even know?

Even when working, what if it is deactivated in time before it can be used. Is in an area where you don't have signal. So could not work anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #22
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

LoJack was an option when I bought my car too. I turned it down since i have the BMW recovery service. LoJack doesn't support where I live. And who knows what might have happened to the car while it was gone.
Appreciate 0