BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntchow View Post
mind sharing you settings? its just the RDC safety function right? it's weird i have the labels but no numbers shows up. its the same coding on the f30 and on my f30 it works fine. i may try again this weekend. but i also have a 2012.
These settings definitely work on F25:

HU_CIC 3001 EXBOX RDC_SAFETY aktiv / Werte=01

Best Wishes
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tested Cheat sheet for F25 April1_v6-29.pdf (85.0 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by April1; 06-29-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #24
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I'm game for a Greater Toronto Coding meet...
I would also be interested..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #25
stooler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Anyone coding in Atlanta?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I've been reading the DYI instructions and it seems fairly easy. That said, I don't want to fubar a $65k car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
I would also be interested..
      07-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #27
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

If one understand the process well, it's definitely easy to do it. Also we have experienced that all the changes made by so called coding are "reversible" if we have taken backup of the original settings. We have also seen one case where he didn't remember the original settings and had to go to dealer to revert back to original. As of today, parameters that affect auxiliaries ( such as windows, mirrors, multimedia etc ) only have been shown in the cheat sheet, the risk of messing up your car is minimal and is fully reversible. I'm sure if one goes deeper, one can find parameters related to gears, transmission, torque speed characteristics, steering control etc but these areas could be very risky to touch. One has to draw his own boundary line beyond which he should not go.

Who goes for coding? If some feature is pinching to you and if you feel that the implementation should have been the other way, then you are a candidate for coding. There are persons who themselves want to code and there are others who want some one else to do it for them. There are many others who take it as it is as what's given to them by BMW and either don't think about changes or have no interest in such DIY. My wife wants a reliable and comfortable car, she listens to me about the mods I made and says wow and the very next moment she forgets about it. She always argues why don't you think of getting a tire that never punctures and it comfortable and of course economical to use it. Good that she doesn't imagine of tireless cars else she got to opt for a boat or an aircraft.

In short, coding may be an easy and reliable process, many of us still will not be interested in going for it.

(For the benefits of the first timers, I had released a list of safe and desirable list of features in a previous post. )
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
dwkl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Unhappy Issue with coding

Hi all,
I'm new to the BMW forum and thank you for all the helpful information here. I have some questions about coding my 2011 BMW 35ix F25 that I hope someone can help.

I purchased a ENET cable from April1 so I have the right cable to do the coding. I have also successfully installed the E-SYS software and it is working well. By working, I am able to connect to the car and read all the settings and update the settings in the car.

I am making the modifications as described in the F25 Cheat Sheet. I used the E-SYS software and coded the changes according to the instructions. I didn't get any errors after I activated the FA and coded the FDL.

Here are the instructions that I followed. (Thanks April1)

----
"I don't know what went wrong but try following steps ( I assume that you have correctly installed the correct software on lap top having win xp or win 7 and have created all the blank folders for each Fxx. And linked EST properly in E-Sys Options > Settings > EST to the correct folder to Code Away.est.)

1. Switch off any wifi or Bluetooth of your laptop, let's have only one network connection from your car to your laptop. Good practice.
2. Switch off firewalls too, behaviors of different virus detecting SW is unpredicted. Good practice.
3. Connect ENet cable from your car to laptop, Switch ignition and wait for limited connectivity to be established. Ensure that laptop has full power and car battery is also fully charged.
4. Run ZGW_SEARCH of EDIABAS to see that VIN number gets displayed.
5. Start E-Sys
6. Press connect button, select the correct series. It should be F025 for you and connect.
7. Read VO
8. Select FA and Read VCM
9. Select the Expert Mode and Coding button on left pane. Now select the right CAFD and read Coding Data, it will get you the fresh copy of the data from car.
10. Open the created folder and select the CAFD and right click to edit it, enter pin when asked for it.
11. Make changes and press the save button
12. Come back to SVT by pressing tha green back arrow on top
13. Right click on FA to activate it
14. Go back to the edited CAFD and right click to select Code FDL.

This should complete the task and give you success.

15. Disconnect connection by clicking top connection button and take off cable.
16 you should be ready to go."
----

Afterwards, I tried the changes, but none of them seem to be updated. I have done the following changes:
1. Tire Pressure (I saw April1's comment that it definitely works.)
2. Legal Disclaimer for iDrive and PDC
3. Sports Display in the iDrive

Can you provide me with some suggestion on how to get it activated? At the end of the instructions, it says to "cycle the key". Does this mean to turn off the car and turn it back on?

Thank you!! After I get this working on my car, I am happy to help out others in Denver to program their car as well.

Last edited by dwkl; 07-02-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Best way to check if your parameters were set correctly, connect again and read the FDLs
Again and check the values. That will ensure that your process was right. Have you saved the original CAF files? That's should be done in case you want to revert back to original settings.

For some of the settings to take place, you need to wait for about 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperinsam33
Anyone coding in Atlanta?
Tried today. So far coded ASS off by default, TPMS info, and DVD in motion. I am using a desktop and a 25' Ethernet cable with the car parked outside my office door. So far, so good. It looks so complicated but follow the directions EXACTLY and once you're in there it's much less complicated than it looks. I'm in Buckhead BTW, Butler Tire on Roswell Road.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
dwkl
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I figured out what I did wrong. I selected the folder and pressed code instead of selecting the CAFD file and pressing the Code FDL. It now works. I was able to code the digital speed in the BC, removed legal disclaimers, and enabled PDC. I also have the sports display with torque and power displayed in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkl View Post
Thanks! I figured out what I did wrong. I selected the folder and pressed code instead of selecting the CAFD file and pressing the Code FDL. It now works. I was able to code the digital speed in the BC, removed legal disclaimers, and enabled PDC. I also have the sports display with torque and power displayed in the iDrive.
Congrats, new coder on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

KOMBI Error?

Quote:
Did you get any errors popping up in the instrument cluster or the iDrive after you coded the KOMBI?

Want to enable my HUD turn signals, but don't want any error messages that need to be cleared by the dealer...

Would also like the speed in the cluster, for when the HUD isn't wanted on.
      07-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #34
dwkl
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepfordBMW View Post
Did you get any errors popping up in the instrument cluster or the iDrive after you coded the KOMBI?

Want to enable my HUD turn signals, but don't want any error messages that need to be cleared by the dealer...

Would also like the speed in the cluster, for when the HUD isn't wanted on.
Yes, I did get an error in the instrument cluster after I coded the KOMBI. After shutting off the car and restarting, the errors will go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep

errors

Quote:
Yes, I did get an error in the instrument cluster after I coded the KOMBI. After shutting off the car and restarting, the errors will go away.
My worry is they'll be stored, and they'll see them when it goes in for service. :-/
      07-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My worry is they'll be stored, and they'll see them when it goes in for service. :-/
This should not be the worry as one can tell SA in advance that there were some error messages displayed on the screen but they dont occur anymore so not concerned.

Last edited by April1; 07-03-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #37
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5

Quote:
Interestingly I did not get error messages after coding KOMBI but time needed to be reset, not the date. Weird. So far so good with everything else though. DVD in motion working, key fob and comfort access opening and closing windows, key fob and interior button opening and closing tailgate, A.S.S. defaults to off. Even added the "Logic 7" instead of the "surround" option under stereo. Honestly for all trying this out, it really is that easy, just follow the directions and go. Being that so much is in German it is a bit daunting but once you're in there...no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #38
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Someone upload a vid ?
      07-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #39
Marathon Man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

I am looking forward to trying this out. Many thanks to those who have documented the steps. It seems confusing getting everything set up and in the right place, but it looks like changing a few things using lists like the one from April 1 provided is actually fairly easy. But the proof is in the doing. I have to wait until our X3 is built to really do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #40
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep

More coding time.

7/14 10am, I will be holding this at 1899 Silas Deane Highway, in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. It's actual the "KOHL's" parking lot but it shares a very large empty lot with a since out of business mega store. Google satellite the address!

Due to the turnout exceeding expectations, I am going to start at 10am, and will run the session roughly until 2:00 or 230 - weather permitting.
      07-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #41
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
7/14 10am, I will be holding this at 1899 Silas Deane Highway, in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. It's actual the "KOHL's" parking lot but it shares a very large empty lot with a since out of business mega store. Google satellite the address!

Due to the turnout exceeding expectations, I am going to start at 10am, and will run the session roughly until 2:00 or 230 - weather permitting.
That is really a great news. Wish the weather remains good all day.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Its noted that on some of the Windows 7 OS, you get a MSWINSCK.OCX missing error while trying to run ZGW_SEARCH.EXE.

Copy the attached batch file WINSCK_ERROR.bat on desktop and run it, it will fix the error.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WINSCK_ERROR.zip (359 Bytes, 101 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #43
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep

meet up

Quote:

Hi All-- Just letting you know I have 6 confirmed- so while one gets coded, you may have to wait and just chat amongst yourselves. Bring water - it's gonna be humid!
      07-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #44
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

How did the meeting go?
Appreciate 0