BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
X3MAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3xdrive28i

stone chip paint

just noticed a small stone chip on my 2015 X3.

any tips on repairing this stone chip?

05-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
X3MAN
Enlisted Member
Rep

I see name of Dr.colorchip recommended in the forum. will Dr.colorchip fill in the depth of damage?
      05-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
GQX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

This is probably the easiest DIY repair you can make. And be satisfied with results. Buy the BMW touch up for the perfect match.
Step 1. Clean metal spot with a q-tip and alcohol, let dry.(this will kill any bacteria)
Step 2. Shake the bottle of paint and remove excess from the stem and brush tip to avoid dripping on anywhere other than the area to be painted.
Step 3. Dab the area with paint, for your spot I would sort of do a droplet fill.
If you don't have a steady hand you can mask off the area. Also I have a paper towel handy. Be careful not to let the paint drip down the side of car, but you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

At least you have the best color non metallic paint to deal with. However, I don't usually have as much luck as GQX3 because I find it tricky to get the paint flat. Also there is a clear coat on top of the white. I have Titanium Silver, which is a nightmare!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Heres what has worked for me and also a lot of other people I know , the results are pretty awesome:
1- order matching touch up paint preferably from BMW. Your dealer should be able to order this for you. This comes in basecoat and clearcoat
2 - order "LANGKA The Blob Eliminator" from Amazon
3 - Clean the area thoroughly
4 - using a toothpick or a micro brush ( very important ) , dab a small amount of basecoat onto the chip, smear till it fills up the gap. This may require several coats and a lot of patience.
5- Allow to dry for a day, then use the Langka as per the instructions and eliminate the blobs
5- repeat 4-5 for the clearcoat

This when done with patience will yield fantastic results.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
GQX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
At least you have the best color non metallic paint to deal with. However, I don't usually have as much luck as GQX3 because I find it tricky to get the paint flat. Also there is a clear coat on top of the white. I have Titanium Silver, which is a nightmare!
I have Alpine White also so point well taken. For deep nicks the BMW enamel touch up is thick enough to form a bead over the spot and depending on the angle you look you may see a bulge, but looking down at the site it is not visible, at least with white. I found that side nicks need a little more illusion techniques by applying multiple coats from different angles between drying times.
I have never heard of the kit mentioned above, but it sounds nice and easy, I have always been pleased with the results I get with just the tough up paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

I can share what I did a few weeks ago to repair a similar chip on our 2012 Alpine White X3 35i.

Over the years I have always just applied the touch-up paint the Service team indicates is correct for our car (they use the VIN to be sure it is the correct one - there are at least three types of Alpine White I was told). I've never been pleased with how it looks, though - for even though the bare metal is at least covered with the correct color of paint, it always has looked amateurish with irregularites (raised and lowered) in comparison with the surrounding finish.

After buying some 1000 and 1500 grit finishing paper at the local auto parts store (I already had 800 grit), and making sure the defect was clean, I let the first coat of touch-up paint dry thoroughly then gently and carefully smoothed with a very small piece of the finishing paper using the successive grades. I repeated about 4 more layers until I could no longer see (or feel) the defect. The use of a focused LED flashlight beam aimed tangentially at the defect in our darkened garage really helped to illuminate any subtle irregularities in the surface.

After the clear coat dried I used the 1500 grit to very lightly polish the surface. I was really pleased with how it turned out and honestly, cannot tell where it was by just looking. I have to caution, I have no experience in actual body repair or painting, and I was concerned I might ruin the surrounding surface with the use of the finishing paper. But by using a very small piece, taking my time and making sure I knew where it was touching the surface at all times, and using very little pressure, I was able to finally get a touch-up to blend almost invisibly in with the surrounding finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
GQX3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

I have to caution, I have no experience in actual body repair or painting, and I was concerned I might ruin the surrounding surface with the use of the finishing paper. But by using a very small piece, taking my time and making sure I knew where it was touching the surface at all times, and using very little pressure, I was able to finally get a touch-up to blend almost invisibly in with the surrounding finish.
Max Well, you really have "true grit". Thank you for sharing your process and techniques.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
X3MAN
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks all. helpful tips
      05-27-2015, 04:18 AM   #10
Mr Comfort
Owner/ Operator
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Garage List
2012 X3  [0.00]
mix a small amount of color and clear coat in Dixie cup and apply with tooth pic until level
Appreciate 0