BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

GLK vs X3

well I brought my C63 in for service yesterday and got a GLK as the loaner. Got to drive it about 80 miles, highway and city driving.

Base price is about $2K-$3K cheaper than the X3 28i, but you can tell why
-interior is bad, for the people complaining about the lower doors on the X3 with the plastic part, well the GLK is the same and the rest of the door is just as cheap, along with the dash, I felt like I was driving a Sante Fe (not a bad car, just not worth $36K)
-Engine is horrible, I was getting 18 mpg, half city and half highway, not pushing it too hard. I am getting 19.5 MPG out of my current LR2 which weighs a lot more than the GLK. The performance is also pretty bad for 268 horsepower, quicker than my LR2 but not even close to the 35i, I have not driven the 28i so I can't compare it but I bet its a tad slower. The feel was just sluggish.
-steering feel was very loose at speeds over 25, not good, I could move the wheel a couple inches going 55 mph and the car would go perfectly straight!
-strange to say this but hood is ugly to look at, maybe I am just used to my current cars but the C63 and LR2 have nice looking hoods from the drivers few, it adds to the enjoyment of driving, the GLK was just plain and smooth all the way across.

Good things: base seats were nice, better than the X3 base and my LR2 seats, the steering wheel had really soft leather on it, wasn't expecting that. Base sound was decent and sunroof was great (haven't tried out the X3s yet). little things that the non navigation version had were nice, like even without nav it still would tell you the street name you were on (on the screen behind the steering wheel) along with direction. Many different ways to measure MPG, from reset, from start, and a little bar showing you the current MPG, also always loved their cruise control, shows you digitally the speed thats set, along with bars next to the the gauge and you can adjust it by 5 mph at a time if you want instead of just 1 mph. I have also always liked the full keypad for entering phone numbers on the merc's. A lot of the car's design was stolen from the C series but seems cheaper (materials).

I have completely ruled this car out for a nice small SUV, I think the Audi and BMW blow it away, and probably some cheaper SUVs would get my vote over the GLK. Mercedes needs some work on this car, better engine, better handling, better interior...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
well said Mako!
The deal with M-B is that they are going off-track with producing and even worse- designing their true legacy cars and what they were used to do best. In contrary, BMW resumed its focus and Audi picking up very fast (thanks to the boost by VW!)
IMO, M-B needs to revert back and focus only on the cars that define its true caliber: Luxury!
You see, I'm a crazy BMW fan. But I always see myself driving a classy M-B above 55 years of age (if I'm alive!). This is a personal opinion though...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
well said Mako!
The deal with M-B is that they are going off-track with producing and even worse- designing their true legacy cars and what they were used to do best. In contrary, BMW resumed its focus and Audi picking up very fast (thanks to the boost by VW!)
IMO, M-B needs to revert back and focus only on the cars that define its true caliber: Luxury!
You see, I'm a crazy BMW fan. But I always see myself driving a classy M-B above 55 years of age (if I'm alive!). This is a personal opinion though...
I completely agree with you on the image, when I was a teenager (15 years ago) I always thought that BMW was the sporty car and MB was the luxury car, M-B was always a little more expensive (like 5%) but was more luxurious inside and pampered the occupants, while the BMW had better performance and was more fun to drive, so to me the BMW was for the younger crowd and Mercedes for the older crowd or people who don't care about performance and wanted the status symbol of mercedes more. Then BMW started getting a little more luxurious and Mercedes more sporty, trying to catch each other, everything became a blur! you didn't know which car was better for your needs anymore where in the past it was obvious. BMW seems to be going back to their roots a little with the 3 and 5 series, but Mercedes is still lost, I think the Chrysler thing messed them up. Don't get me wrong, Mercedes still produces some really nice cars (most of their AMGs are still amazing) but they are really messing up on some other cars and their lineup is too big now, people complain about BMW having too many cars, look at Mercedes!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Exactly! Being able to introduce more "luxury" on top of "performance" is ideal (What BMW has been doing). But the otherway around (M-B)...well you have got to be very careful, since "luxury" has more visibility compared to "performance", that would easily decrease the perception of luxury to high extent and it is always easier to mess up (M-B).
again personal opinion...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Not really a comparison since it's a SUV vs sedan but I think I might be going back to MB when the new C class coupe comes out later this year. The X3 is a awesome car but some little things about it annoy me such as the idrive system, turn signals, and transmission.

iDrive: Widely criticized by magazines and owners alike, the main argument is that the system is harder to use than it needs to be. I honestly don't think iDrive is as bad as what magazines say but it's not very user friendly either, there are more menus and sub-menus than there needs to be. Scrolling through artists when you decided to change to another one you start from the beginning, meaning if your last chosen artist started with a T and you decided to change you'll now have to scroll from A all the way back to T. This is pretty dangerous to do while driving and you'll have to either use one hand to steer and one to scroll or wait until the next stoplight.

Turn Signals: I guess I'm just not very use to the turn signals yet but I don't like the fact that the turn signals pop back to the resting position after using them. Occasionally after signaling the light keeps on blinking and I have to pop it in the other direction just to have it start signaling in that direction. Or the signal pops off after a light turn and I end up changing lanes with out them, as if people don't think BMW drivers are a-holes already.

Transmission: This isn't an issue if you're driving in automatic but it is when you drive with the paddle shifters or have it in sport +. Either I haven't gotten use to the car or I just suck at life but I feel like it's difficult to judge your rpm when basing it off of the mph. Many times when downshifting for a turn or going up a hill I find myself downshifting more than I thought I would because each gear only raises the rpm by 500 or less.

Sorry for the long post guys. I'm not trying to bash the X3 in any way but I feel like these are some of the things I find annoying about the car. All the issues listed are things that I think MB does better but that's not to say MB is a better car company, I can think of a million things wrong with the brand.

Also Great post Mako, my 1st car was a E class which was not my choice but two years later I got a C class due to how sporty and awesome the car looked. While my folks were working out the pricing for a 3 series in the mean time I walked across the street to the a Mercedes dealership and instantly fell in love with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I think we were comparing GLK vs X3??!!!
If you are going for the C coupe, I would invite you to wait for the 2012 3 Series which is radical!!!
Also the new 6 series is heaven!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Not really a comparison since it's a SUV vs sedan but I think I might be going back to MB when the new C class coupe comes out later this year. The X3 is a awesome car but some little things about it annoy me such as the idrive system, turn signals, and transmission.

iDrive: Widely criticized by magazines and owners alike, the main argument is that the system is harder to use than it needs to be. I honestly don't think iDrive is as bad as what magazines say but it's not very user friendly either, there are more menus and sub-menus than there needs to be. Scrolling through artists when you decided to change to another one you start from the beginning, meaning if your last chosen artist started with a T and you decided to change you'll now have to scroll from A all the way back to T. This is pretty dangerous to do while driving and you'll have to either use one hand to steer and one to scroll or wait until the next stoplight.

Turn Signals: I guess I'm just not very use to the turn signals yet but I don't like the fact that the turn signals pop back to the resting position after using them. Occasionally after signaling the light keeps on blinking and I have to pop it in the other direction just to have it start signaling in that direction. Or the signal pops off after a light turn and I end up changing lanes with out them, as if people don't think BMW drivers are a-holes already.

Transmission: This isn't an issue if you're driving in automatic but it is when you drive with the paddle shifters or have it in sport +. Either I haven't gotten use to the car or I just suck at life but I feel like it's difficult to judge your rpm when basing it off of the mph. Many times when downshifting for a turn or going up a hill I find myself downshifting more than I thought I would because each gear only raises the rpm by 500 or less.

Sorry for the long post guys. I'm not trying to bash the X3 in any way but I feel like these are some of the things I find annoying about the car. All the issues listed are things that I think MB does better but that's not to say MB is a better car company, I can think of a million things wrong with the brand.

Also Great post Mako, my 1st car was a E class which was not my choice but two years later I got a C class due to how sporty and awesome the car looked. While my folks were working out the pricing for a 3 series in the mean time I walked across the street to the a Mercedes dealership and instantly fell in love with the car.
So you bought your X3 and would seriously sell it later this year to get a c class? You are going to take a huge loss on it! I would seriously have to hate a car to get rid of it after owning it less than a year! Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
So you bought your X3 and would seriously sell it later this year to get a c class? You are going to take a huge loss on it! I would seriously have to hate a car to get rid of it after owning it less than a year! Yikes!
You've got a point here....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post

The turn signals are different, but having used them in four other BMWs over the past 6 years I am comfortable with them and I like the way they function. Here is a simple tip: to turn off the signal, push it again in the SAME direction. Done.

As far as shifting via MPH.... why not use the tach?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Mako - you really only forgot one key point. The GLK is FUGLY!! Possibly the ugliest SUV since the Pontiac Aztec.

I didn't drive one but I sat in one several months ago. I was -okay- but didn't really do anything for me.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Mako - you really only forgot one key point. The GLK is FUGLY!! Possibly the ugliest SUV since the Pontiac Aztec.

I didn't drive one but I sat in one several months ago. I was -okay- but didn't really do anything for me.
Cheers to that!!!
It is potentially nominated as the ugliest suv out there...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I did drive one on two separate occassions, both trips were more than "just around the block" and involved both city and hiway driving. I really did the second drive just to verify if the GLK really drove as poorly as I thought it did initially. It does.

For me, it just felt "disconnected" on the hiway, and somewhat ponderous around town. I also felt it could use more power, it seemed heavy. In no way was the driving feel of the GLK close to the feel of the F25 X3.

Styling - well, you either like it or you don't. I don't mind it, but I'm feeling like I would not "have to have it" on looks.

Just my 2c.
      05-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

True.....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Nah I'm not selling it; My sister's old 4runner is breaking down and my parents have been wanting to get her a new car. She asked my mom if she could have my X3 and have my parents get me something instead, so no real loss here since we were going to get two new cars to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also you guys are right, the GLK is uggggly....I'd rather have the ML which is as stereotypically mom mobile as you can get without getting a minivan. I've test driven a 2011 ML350 bluetec before, it's bulky and underpowered, the X5 is way better.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
We're all saying the same thing Beyu. Don't upset yourself...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #17
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I did drive one on two separate occassions, both trips were more than "just around the block" and involved both city and hiway driving. I really did the second drive just to verify if the GLK really drove as poorly as I thought it did initially. It does.

For me, it just felt "disconnected" on the hiway, and somewhat ponderous around town. I also felt it could use more power, it seemed heavy. In no way was the driving feel of the GLK close to the feel of the F25 X3.

Styling - well, you either like it or you don't. I don't mind it, but I'm feeling like I would not "have to have it" on looks.

Just my 2c.
Two of my friends who bought the GLK regrets buying it.....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Two of my friends who bought the GLK regrets buying it.....
I can't imagine otherwise!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Mako
Rep

Quote:

you are right, not sure how I forgot to mention that!!! I never really considered it from the start because of how ugly the exterior was to me and my wife but wasn't sure if everyone thought so, I wanted to focus on interior, engine and ride quality. I would have never even test drove one if it wasn't a loaner.

Mercedes is so hit and miss with their cars. I think the CLS is a great looking car, but some of their others need work. I normally hate chrome too but have gotten used to it on my C63 (front grill and door trims).

And back to the guy looking at the C class, the new interiors are really nice, especially if you get the upgraded stuff on them, the new C63 sedan looks amazing, I think better than the M3 now (interior that is, exterior is a toss up, I really like the side and font of the C63, but rear end of the M3)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Personal Opinion: ALL Mercedes cars have a TERRIBLE looking interior!!!
By the way, this is a relative comparison between high end cars and not low/average... (I'm not comparing the M-B with a Chevi for example...)
When rating the interior, one must look at several factors: Design, simplicity and accessibility, high features (despite having simple design), luxury & comfort, beauty and harmony in compliance to the exterior.
I'd say among all these, M-B might have a chance at the comfort (and partly luxury).
I found the cockpit very complicated and unharmonised, too many buttons and sophisticated for a new design (remember, high features doesn't mean sophistication!)
then again that's a personal opinion and for others it may be different...
Beauty is absolutely not there...
Even in other models on M-B, I find the exterior nice (CL, SL and SLS have better extriors than the rest) but then once you see the interior....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Personal Opinion: ALL Mercedes cars have a TERRIBLE looking interior!!!
By the way, this is a relative comparison between high end cars and not low/average... (I'm not comparing the M-B with a Chevi for example...)
When rating the interior, one must look at several factors: Design, simplicity and accessibility, high features (despite having simple design), luxury & comfort, beauty and harmony in compliance to the exterior.
I'd say among all these, M-B might have a chance at the comfort (and partly luxury).
I found the cockpit very complicated and unharmonised, too many buttons and sophisticated for a new design (remember, high features doesn't mean sophistication!)
then again that's a personal opinion and for others it may be different...
Beauty is absolutely not there...
Even in other models on M-B, I find the exterior nice (CL, SL and SLS have better extriors than the rest) but then once you see the interior....
well like you said "personal opinion" see I love the seats on their AMG models, better tham BMW Ms in my opinion, and to a driver seats and steering wheel are two huge factors in judging a car's interior. I also like how mercedes has the seat adjustments on the door, much easier to access than on the seat (but how often do you adjust that, not very often). Looking at my dad's M3 compared to my C63 interior, I don't think it looks any better, its not like it jumps out at me like wow now this is really nice and the Mercedes is blah, I think both are sort of blah,

I have never looked at any other mercedes like E or S class interior to compare them with Audi or BMW of the same level so I can't comment on those.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
well like you said "personal opinion" see I love the seats on their AMG models, better tham BMW Ms in my opinion, and to a driver seats and steering wheel are two huge factors in judging a car's interior. I also like how mercedes has the seat adjustments on the door, much easier to access than on the seat (but how often do you adjust that, not very often). Looking at my dad's M3 compared to my C63 interior, I don't think it looks any better, its not like it jumps out at me like wow now this is really nice and the Mercedes is blah, I think both are sort of blah,

I have never looked at any other mercedes like E or S class interior to compare them with Audi or BMW of the same level so I can't comment on those.
better seat is also part of comfort which I already did give credit to M-B..
But C'mon you can't tell me there is no difference here in these photos!!! The design of the BMW is a master piece!!!
If you don't agree, I can't even imagine why you are in this forum!!!!

Last edited by Shaw; 10-27-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0