BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Clear Armor paint protection or not

Delivery of 2013 28i expected end of May. Jet Black! ok now I'm concerned about chips on new paint which I heard is softer than the paint of the past. Great, we have friendly water based paint but said to be softer. That's one issue!

So, is Clear Armor a solution and should I buy through the marked up dealer install or go directly to the detailer in town that does it for the dealer and save. Not sure how much to have done either. I really didn't want a plastic look but want to preserve that beautiful Jet Black on a new car. Maybe this is a regional issue or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Why would you pay more at the dealer to have the same guy do the work?

I'm sure the installer wouldn't mind showing you a few cars that he's done so that you can get an idea of what the finish product will look like.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The pictures they show during/after installation look great, but what do they look like a season in? Does it end up looking like on of those iPhone screen covers? Nicked and smudged and looking worse than the paint would have otherwise? Or is the stuff tough enough that the rocks and road grit don't mess it up?
      05-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I assume you're talking about the paint protection film made by 3M, Xpel and others. We just put the 3M film on our new X3 and we have the Xpel on our Subaru. The film on the Subaru looks like it did the day it was installed 4 years ago(when I was the car between rain storms in Seattle).

We've done a lot of driving through Oregon, who mistake pea gravel for sand in the winter. The A-pillars of the car have numerous pits on them from getting hit. The only mark on the film is a small nick where a rock hit pretty hard, which I can only imagine what it would have done to the paint had the film not been there.

As far as getting the film put on our X3, I asked our CA who they have do the work and then I contacted the company and had the work done directly through them. Not only did I save money, but the company that did the work is local so they probably made a better profit on the deal, the dealership already has enough of my money. When you pick up the car from getting the film installed go over every inch looking for bubbles and trapped dirt. If you find anything have them fix it or redo the work before you pay them and take the car back.

We have a lighter colored cars (Subaru is silver, X3 is Blue Water Metallic) so the lines on the film don't show up much at all. I've heard the lines show more on darker colors. If that is a big deal you could always consider doing a full front wrap where they put film over the entire hood and fenders, more expensive but no lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoakl
I assume you're talking about the paint protection film made by 3M, Xpel and others. We just put the 3M film on our new X3 and we have the Xpel on our Subaru. The film on the Subaru looks like it did the day it was installed 4 years ago(when I was the car between rain storms in Seattle).

We've done a lot of driving through Oregon, who mistake pea gravel for sand in the winter. The A-pillars of the car have numerous pits on them from getting hit. The only mark on the film is a small nick where a rock hit pretty hard, which I can only imagine what it would have done to the paint had the film not been there.

As far as getting the film put on our X3, I asked our CA who they have do the work and then I contacted the company and had the work done directly through them. Not only did I save money, but the company that did the work is local so they probably made a better profit on the deal, the dealership already has enough of my money. When you pick up the car from getting the film installed go over every inch looking for bubbles and trapped dirt. If you find anything have them fix it or redo the work before you pay them and take the car back.

We have a lighter colored cars (Subaru is silver, X3 is Blue Water Metallic) so the lines on the film don't show up much at all. I've heard the lines show more on darker colors. If that is a big deal you could always consider doing a full front wrap where they put film over the entire hood and fenders, more expensive but no lines.
Just what I wanted to hear. Now to decide how much to cover. But I have time and thinking about what this stuff looks like on my iPhone. Wondering about wax on wax off?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

I was told on both cars to wax the film just like I would the rest of the car and for appearance sake to make sure wax didn't get stuck on the edge of the film.

As far as it looking like your iPhone screen I would guess that PPF is completely different. I think that both 3M and Xpel films are a urethane based film with a clear coat on top, not unlike the actual paint on your car. I highly doubt a screen protector for a phone has automotive clear coat on it .

Go find the place that you're thinking about having do this and see what it looks like on darker cars. I would imagine if you're flexible enough they would probably let you know if they are going to be working on a car that is black so you could get an apples to apples comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
The pictures they show during/after installation look great, but what do they look like a season in? Does it end up looking like on of those iPhone screen covers? Nicked and smudged and looking worse than the paint would have otherwise? Or is the stuff tough enough that the rocks and road grit don't mess it up?
I suppose if you never wash the car then it'll look smudgy or stained from bugs and such. Don't you wipe off the phone when it starts looking nasty?

The film is far more durable than (BMW) paint against pitting and chips, but you will notice the seams when you get close enough to the car, especially if you let wax build up against it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoakl View Post
I was told on both cars to wax the film just like I would the rest of the car and for appearance sake to make sure wax didn't get stuck on the edge of the film.

As far as it looking like your iPhone screen I would guess that PPF is completely different. I think that both 3M and Xpel films are a urethane based film with a clear coat on top, not unlike the actual paint on your car. I highly doubt a screen protector for a phone has automotive clear coat on it .

Go find the place that you're thinking about having do this and see what it looks like on darker cars. I would imagine if you're flexible enough they would probably let you know if they are going to be working on a car that is black so you could get an apples to apples comparison.
XPel's film is also self healing, a few youtube searches will show the film's ability in this regard. Great looking product on your car with the aforementioned clear coat on the film.

You should indeed polish/wax the films as you do your car to keep the colors consistent over time (wrapped and unwrapped). Avoid products that have petroleum as that can yellow your film...big deal on white cars like my 1M.
      05-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stuff sounds pretty good.

No film on the phone, not needed. But I do wipe it off!
      05-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I just checked with the first service installing films on cars I found on Google and the price seemed very high for me. To install the film just on the front and rear bumpers they've asked me around 600 euros! And more or less the same price would be needed for having the whole car (including windows and screen) to undergo a very glossy detailing and paint protector application.

What would be your advice, to be honest the major risk here is to get the bumpers scratched, so logically the film should be a better choice, but for that price...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I installed a clear film on our X3 last year myself. Kept it on for a couple weeks then took it off. It was clear and not noticable from 10 feet away but as you got closer the seams just stood out. I'm sure to others they may have been a bit more hidden but I just didn't like it. I'm pretty anal about the appearance of our vehichles.

The kit I used can be found here: http://www.clearmask.com/vehicle_page.php

After a year of driving in various conditions the front plastic bumper still looks great, honestly almost no rock chips. However it's the hood that seems to be taking some hits. Not even areas that were covered by the film (my kit basically covered the entire front end including the leading edge of the hood) rather the knicks are higher up on the hood and A pillars. I just touch them up occasionally and the paint does a good job of blending, more so than the appearance of the film.

With all of that being said, everyone's roads are different. I see the OP is in Alaska and I can only imagine the amount of dirt roads you may have to commute. In that case I'd probably see the film as acceptable assuming the pending damage in your area.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
a conclusion

Protection is noticeable, it will cost almost $1000 for front end and leading edge of hood. Rock damage varies with conditions and different cars as to where they tend to hit. If the X3 is getting hits further up on the hood then protecting the front bumper is a waist. If bumper and leading edge of hood is getting chips then it is worth the investment and compromise on appearance. This is my conclusion but it is a big if.

I do plan regardless of these issues to cover the top surface of the rear bumper because I will be using a dog ramp which will ware on the paint without it. Thats less than $50 installed.

Expecting delivery in less than 2 weeks on 2013 28i jet-black, premium pkg, sports activity pkg, connivence pkg, cold weather pkg, tech pkg and cargo net.

Anchorage Alaska has lots of small rocks on its roads!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Akview, funny you mention a rear bumper cover. When I bought the film for the front end I bout a 10 ft x 5" strip of material to cut and use in various areas. The only piece of film that is left on the X3 after about 14 months is a strip I cut out for the rear bumper deck. It works great and has prevented many scratches. Plus it is not very visible cause when the tailgate is closed it hides the rear seam nicely.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I had the 3M installed on my AW X3.

You can notice the line from the film but you have to know where the film is before it is obvious.

I've had the 3M on my last two cars and it has saved the paint from significant damage.

My car did have a bit of dirt between the film and the paint and I have to schedule an appointment to visit the dealership to have the film removed and replaced.
Attached Images

Last edited by lbjgh; 05-09-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Detail shop does a good job

Stopped by detail shop that does all the Clear Car Armor in town, dealers and individuals and they showed me some of there work and we talked. Seems there are an awful lot of new car owners and high end cars that are getting this covering. It really does look good and the advances in the materials seem convincing but it still going to run me about $850 to cover front bumper, fenders and front of hood and rear bumper but throwing in lights. Not committed yet but leaning toward being safe than sorry. But you can see the seam if you are looking for it.

They claim it will protect paint from scuffs on the bumper and the stuff is self healing to some extent on small dings. They also explained how to wax without showing seams, just takes a little care. I also was impressed with this shop and the workmanship and their courteous customer treatment, CCAMotorsports.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did they show you just fresh installs, or also cars that had it on for a few seasons?
      05-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
I have seen this product on cars with a couple of years on them and it seems good. I will say it is more noticeable on dirty cars than on clean. The dirt collects in the 3mil seam. Claims it is always removable with no damage to paint. 5year warrantee. My X3 is due in Port of Anchorage on 18th, can't wait
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Got quotation for putting the protective film on the car, gosh!!!

Bumpers, mirrors and A pillars only and one third of the hood 1000-1500 Euro (maybe also the front sides or full hood could be done for the highest price)

Whole car wrapped... 3800 EURO!!!!

I might take in consideration the partial wrapping... on one side I'm tempted as here it's very easy to get the bumpers scratched in parkings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

A little bit of me wants to wrap my X3 in a zebra pattern ...

Right now I feel like a moth romancing a flame ...

So cool ... But so wrong!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #20
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Cost for the 3M film in UK is £499 for the front protection
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskpsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoakl View Post

XPel's film is also self healing, a few youtube searches will show the film's ability in this regard. Great looking product on your car with the aforementioned clear coat on the film.

You should indeed polish/wax the films as you do your car to keep the colors consistent over time (wrapped and unwrapped). Avoid products that have petroleum as that can yellow your film...big deal on white cars like my 1M.
NXT 2.0 Meguiars reads it contains petroleum distillates yet detailer who installs covering said it was ok to use. Now I know not what to do. Just bought 2.0 and all the extras for first wax job
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akview View Post
Now I know not what to do.
Plexus

Appreciate 0