BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-01-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
Chris-Van2233
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3 xDrive30i

Change Battery: Do I need a Memory saver when Dash=black while key in start position

Hi.
My E83 2010 is ONE cool sports truck that I bought to hear and enjoy a naturally aspirated V6. It's hard not to be in tune with such an awesome combo of transmission, engine and road hugging. But, I let it sit in storage for more than 6 months and it now needs a new battery. The dashboard lights are completely gone when i turn the ignition key with the old battery. The transmission acts funny after I jump started it with a trickle charger that has a built-in starter. The funny acting transmission makes me hunch it has lost its basic programming and needs to relearn.

My main question is : Is there any deeper memory than just the battery dependent one? Meaning is there perhaps any deeper memory that depends on the battery being connected even though the battery is dead. In other words: Can I switch out the old battery without using a memory saver routine or tool?

My 2ndary question is: Since I already have a new battery : specs: DIN: H6, EN: LN3, BCI: 48, CCA: 730, Cranking Amps (at 32F): 910, then instead of disconnecting the old one and switching it out I could connect jumper cables from the new one in parallel to the old one, start the engine and drive the car 3 kms into its new storage location and keep working with your answers at the new location. I would ensure the batteries in parallel won't move while in transit or won't loose their contacts.

The old battery is a white OEM VARTA and says in the 5 lines from top to bottom:
BMW S: 61 21 7 604 820
AW: 61 21 7 604 819
118668 - 10 DE
--------------------------------
12 V 90Ah 720 A (EN)
160 RC 720 CCA (SAE)

I would think any trickle charger will work for the H6 battery.

The trickle charger specs are:
MotoMaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger with 75 A Engine start and internal fan. Fully automatic multi-stage charging for 12V batteries.
Output:
Automatic 12 V DC, 25A max continuous;
Manual 4/12/25A ; 75A continuous 5 seconds maximum on, 180 seconds minimum off.

I read the manual re Liftgate pg 22, resetting various settings ie Pinch protection after power interruption pg 23, re Vehicle Battery pg 119 and re Jump starting pg 122.

Thanks for pondering.
Happy New Year 2017.

Last edited by Chris-Van2233; 01-04-2017 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0