BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Instructions for wpl and m3u Playlist

These instructions pertain to Windows 7 and Windows Media Player 12. They will probably work with other Windows OS’s or WMP perhaps with some modifications. The iDrive will play both *.wpl and *.m3u files as playlist. The difference between the two is that the m3u text file is much more simplified compared to the text of wpl.
For wpl file:
Create a playlist or take a present playlist and sync it to the flash drive. If a “Music” directory is not on the flash drive, WMP will create a “Music” directory. All the songs that pertain to the playlist will be in folders in this directory.
Create a “Playlist” folder on the flash drive.
Open a text editor application on your desktop such as Notepad. In Notepad choose File-Open. Choose “all files’ in the lower right corner. Then choose folder My Music-Playlist from the directory list. Find your playlist file and choose “Open”. You will see that the text points to the file locations of the playlist music, but only for the desktop/laptop, not the flash drive.
This is what the path looks like on the Desktop playlist.
<media src="..\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3"/>
You want to replace the two dots, with “Music”or the folder path if different on your flash drive. You can use the find-replace on the Notepad app for large files.
This is what the looks like on the flash drive.
<media src="Music\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3"/>
Do a “save as” on to the flash drive Playlist Folder.
That should do it.
For m3u files.
Sync music to flash drive as above.
First create a m3u playlist from your wpl playlist in WMP. Open the playlist and double click on the playlist. Go to File and select “Save Now Playing List as.” Save as m3u file. I normally modify the name to identify it in WMP from the wpl playlist.
Follow the above instructions to open the playlist file, but of course look for the m3u file.
This is what the path looks like on the Desktop playlist.
..\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3
Again replace the two dots with “Music” or whatever your path is for the flash drive.
This is what the looks like on the flash drive.
Music\Various Artists\Home For Christmas\03 Hey Santa Claus.mp3
Do a “save as” on to the flash drive Playlist Folder.
That should do it.
Sometimes the iDrive is a bit slow on the uptake. But you should find you playlist under iDrive “Playlist”.
Post if you have a problem.

Last edited by Radioactive; 12-24-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Works perfectly. Thanks.
Appreciate 0