BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
fahrvergnuegen
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Lug Bolts too long?

I just got my X3 and really am enjoying the car. Since we get a lot of snow and ice here, I purchased a dedicated set of winter tires and rims. Since the dealer wanted almost twice than what Tirerack was asking for the same tire, I ordered them from Tirerack.

Normally I would have put on the tires myself but didn't realize that I need a jack pad tool so I had the dealer put on the new tires as I couldn't wait for the pack pad tool to come here in the mail. When the dealer put on the tires, I was told that the lug bolts included in my shipment from Tirerack are too long. They used the OEM bolts that came with the car instead.

While everything is fine, I decided to put on one of the bolts myself and see what the difference is. The new bolt sticks out a little bit more than the OEM one and comes out of the recessed hole but is protected by other parts of the rim. Also, the OEM bolt only takes 8 full turns until it is fully engaged, while the new bolt takes 12.5. I read in a post on there that it should be at least 9.5 to be considered withing BMW spec.

At this point I am leaning towards taking the OEM bolts out and replacing them with the new replacement bolts. Not sure what the dealer was talking about or is there anything I am missing?

Attached are two pictures of the two different bolts by themselves and installed in the rim (the silver bolt is the new aftermarket bolt and the black one is the OEM BMW bolt).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
fahrvergnuegen
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

That's great information. I will use the new, longer bolts this winter and see what I get in the spring when I change tires again. Generally, I like to keep separate bolts for each tire set, as they suffer more in the winter. Probably cheaper to replace aftermarket bolts than buying OEM from BMW as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
empirevalley
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrvergnuegen View Post
That's great information. I will use the new, longer bolts this winter and see what I get in the spring when I change tires again. Generally, I like to keep separate bolts for each tire set, as they suffer more in the winter. Probably cheaper to replace aftermarket bolts than buying OEM from BMW as well.
I purchased 4 snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack for my 2012 X3. I also saw that the lug bolts supplied by Tire Rack were longer than the OEM. Name:  Tire Rack_p. 6.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  221.8 KBAttached is page 6 from the Tire Rack Tire and Wheel Owner's Manual with instructions on using the new lug bolts.
Appreciate 0