BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

Unable to find Software Update

Hi guys, I have a 2016 X3 and I am trying to check if there is any available update for my car (CIC) but when I input my VIN on the official website below, I get a general error message.

Any clues on how to make this work o how to check if my car has the latest software update?

Thank you

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Also, is it true that if you need to replace the valve cover gasket, you need to replace the valve cover too? I think I am getting scammed by my BMW dealer, seems pretty unreasonable to spend this much money for a gasket change, especially since there is nothing wrong with my valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Not sure about the update part of your post but regarding the valve cover, how many miles does your car have? The PCV system is built into the valve cover and it's been known to usually go bad 70k miles and up. Mine lasted up to 96k before I started hearing the PCV squeal at idle. Once replaced, car ran much better and squeal was gone. For some, the valve cover cracks and begins to leak oil, even after just replacing the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pole1980 View Post
Hi guys, I have a 2016 X3 and I am trying to check if there is any available update for my car (CIC) but when I input my VIN on the official website below, I get a general error message.
Just so you know, 2016 shouldn't have (CIC), it should have NBT
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:50 PM   #4
shititzu522
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole1980 View Post

Any clues on how to make this work o how to check if my car has the latest software update?

Thank you

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Also, is it true that if you need to replace the valve cover gasket, you need to replace the valve cover too? I think I am getting scammed by my BMW dealer, seems pretty unreasonable to spend this much money for a gasket change, especially since there is nothing wrong with my valve cover.
I recently had this problem, too. I waited a few days and the site finally worked today. Carried out the update with no problems. I assume BMW was doing site maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 01:18 AM   #5
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
Not sure about the update part of your post but regarding the valve cover, how many miles does your car have? The PCV system is built into the valve cover and it's been known to usually go bad 70k miles and up. Mine lasted up to 96k before I started hearing the PCV squeal at idle. Once replaced, car ran much better and squeal was gone. For some, the valve cover cracks and begins to leak oil, even after just replacing the gasket.
Thank you for answering.

Well the car has now about 150.000 miles, but I don't think I have this PCV valve, it's a diesel engine.

Anyway, after a more thorough inspection, dealer said I also need to change all the 3 seals in the rear differential, also some seal/gasket on the transfer case, basically I am leaking from every possible place, it's like they were meant to last exactly 150.000 miles.

Oh, plus an oil pan leak. Needles to say, I will have to pay around 2500 EUROS to get all this fixed next week.

I am reluctant to fix the oil pan leak, because they said they basically need to dismantle the whole front axle, suspension, front differential etc. and it sound like a disaster, also the leak is minor, like barely noticeable.

Anyway it is amazing how absolutely everything started to leak at one, at the 150k miles mark.

They noticed all of this during the recall campaign for the EGR Cooler, last week, but none of these leaks were present when I serviced the car like 4 months ago it's crazy.
Appreciate 0