BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
NYCX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Best way to touch up Alpine White Paint?

Well today marks the 7th day since I got my brand new 2013 X3, had a car wash, and went to the mall, parked the car in a spot farthest away from where all the cars are densed together, so it's not surrounded by cars.

I come back, and to my surprise, the black strip on the rear bumper (M Sport Package Strip) is hanging off and red scuff marks across the bumper. Good thing that black strip was on hinges, so I popped it back on, it's almost like new now... but the white paint in some areas did get scuffed down to the black undercoat.

Anyone can recommend the best paint type and method so that I can fix the scratches on the Alpine White Coat?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

I also would like to know... Trying to clean the wipers and for some reason X3 has this ridiculous low positions for the wipers that you must manually move up or it will hit the edge of the engine hood. And now there is this scratch at the edge which probably can be fixed by some touch up paints...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
I also would like to know... Trying to clean the wipers and for some reason X3 has this ridiculous low positions for the wipers that you must manually move up or it will hit the edge of the engine hood. And now there is this scratch at the edge which probably can be fixed by some touch up paints...
Start the engine
Turn off the engine
Hold the wiper stalk up for about 10 seconds.

The wipers will go to a straight up position and stay there. Then you can safely pull them away from the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
You can buy touchups paint stick from BMW, it comes with paint, clear seal and a brush. Don't use the brush, I prefer to use a toothpick. Follow the instructions included, that should do your job as it is not at a very critical position.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCX3 View Post
Well today marks the 7th day since I got my brand new 2013 X3, had a car wash, and went to the mall, parked the car in a spot farthest away from where all the cars are densed together, so it's not surrounded by cars.

I come back, and to my surprise, the black strip on the rear bumper (M Sport Package Strip) is hanging off and red scuff marks across the bumper. Good thing that black strip was on hinges, so I popped it back on, it's almost like new now... but the white paint in some areas did get scuffed down to the black undercoat.

Anyone can recommend the best paint type and method so that I can fix the scratches on the Alpine White Coat?
Ia m not sure how much paint you need but if they Re minor scratches, you can buy BMW paint stick and use it. Touch up requir SE practice and if you are not used to paint, better approach a car body painter. Only problem with body painters is that they would like to convince you to paint the entire section.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Ia m not sure how much paint you need but if they Re minor scratches, you can buy BMW paint stick and use it. Touch up requir SE practice and if you are not used to paint, better approach a car body painter. Only problem with body painters is that they would like to convince you to paint the entire section.
Thank you for your input, yes, they are minor scratches, but they went beyond the Alpine White and exposed black color underneath. But the area of this is small.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Nycx3, that really sucks... I'd be looking for security videos of the parking lot.
      07-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
NYCX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Nycx3, that really sucks... I'd be looking for security videos of the parking lot.
yea, I looked, didn't see any unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion. It is what it is, no sense of me being upset with what already "is" or "occurred", but yes, it's quite amazing how people can't drive in NY. They are not consciously present in their surroundings, and are lost in thought, thats how accidents happen most of the time.
Appreciate 0