BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Speed limit sensing?

In the online version of the X3 owner's manual, it says that the car can display the current speed limit and whether you're in a no passing zone. I figured that information was just part of the gps map files, but it turns out the car's front camera can read and interpret road signs (!!!)

That technology just amazes me, but unfortunately my USA version X3 doesn't do it. I don't even have the menu choices on iDrive to set it up. Is this another feature that the UK or Europe gets but is not available here?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
Is this another feature that the UK or Europe gets but is not available here?
It was an optional extra (which I didn't add) when I ordered mine in UK
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

I think it combines data from the GPS and front facing camera... Quite clever. I don't really need it, but have ordered it purely because I'm really interested in how well it will work... It's about £250 here in the UK.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
liverman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
In the online version of the X3 owner's manual, it says that the car can display the current speed limit and whether you're in a no passing zone. I figured that information was just part of the gps map files, but it turns out the car's front camera can read and interpret road signs (!!!)

That technology just amazes me, but unfortunately my USA version X3 doesn't do it. I don't even have the menu choices on iDrive to set it up. Is this another feature that the UK or Europe gets but is not available here?
For the USA in 2014 it is option 8TH and part of the Driver Assistance Plus Pkg (ZDB). Cannot be ordered separatly. From my reading of the 2013 price list, it was not available at all in the USA in 2013.

I do not think it requires GPS/maps since Nav is not required. From reading about it on the BMW site, I recall that a forward facing camera captures images of signs and a computer recognizes images of speed limit signs and provides the driver with warning information and/or displays the speed limit on the HUD (if the car is so equipped).
      04-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
It's about £250 here in the UK.
Crikey - it was only £80 when I ordered mine this time last year!
      04-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Crikey - it was only £80 when I ordered mine this time last year!
Really?

I had an X3 specced up a year ago when I almost took the leap and it was £250 then too, I was looking at the build spec last night for it.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
DaveTheNerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Has anyone successfully added this with coding? It seems mine from 2011 has all the necessary hardware, but I may be misunderstanding the feature.